Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2011, 01:45 PM

14 posts, read 22,019 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for the name a the town in Wyoming where J.C. Penney was started and for a bonus what does the J.C. stand for?

Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 02:45 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,087,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notvaporlocked View Post
I'm looking for the name a the town in Wyoming where J.C. Penney was started and for a bonus what does the J.C. stand for?

Terry
Good question Terry, and welcome to Wyoming Trivia.

I know you searched the thread to make sure it had not been asked before. The reason you didn't find anything is that everyone before you spelled Penney wrong (Penny)!

This question has been asked 3 times before, with minor variations, but you are the first person to spell his name right. I think you deserve extra rep points for that.

J.C. Penney is correct, everyone else spelled it Penny, which is why you did not find the previously asked questions when you searched for it.

Links to the previous questions: https://www.city-data.com/forum/19371275-post2039.html

James Cash Penney opened his first store in Kemmerer, Wyoming.

Terry, please ask another question if you have one handy, or if you'd rather you can open it up to anyone else who has a question, but I hope you choose to keep playing.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:24 PM

Which Wyoming city houses the first Triple Crown winners burial monument and what was the horses name.

Terry

Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
I believe it was Sir Barton.

J.R. Hylton, who owned a few racehorses, bought the old champion and brought him home to his ranch in Douglas, Wyoming, where he passed away on October 30, 1937. He was originally buried near his paddock, with a simple sandstone headstone and a post and rail fence surrounding the plot, but in 1968 he was moved to the Washington Park in Douglas, where America's first Triple Crown winner now lies beneath a generic fiberglass statue of a horse, since the small park could not afford a real sculpture.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:38 AM

Sir Barton and Douglas is the winner. Congrats ElkHunter.

Terry

Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 AM

Thanks Terry. Where I live is the Polo capital of the US, so I immediately started thinking of polo pony's. hahaha Don't know why, but I did.

The mountain men’s first Rocky Mountain rendezvous—an event where they gathered to socialize and sell their pelts—was held in Where and When (Year).

Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,961 times
Hi ElkHunter:

I'm thinking 1825 in... St. Louis?

R3

Old 09-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
Hi ElkHunter:

I'm thinking 1825 in... St. Louis?

R3
The year is right, but where in the heck is St. Louis Wyoming?

Old 09-17-2011, 04:13 AM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,961 times
There isn't one - I thought you wanted to know where they wound up.

They started from N41° 2' 33.1" W109° 59' 39.2", which is known today as Burnt Fork. I guess that would be the "rendezvous point."

Writing from Burnt Fork in 1825:

July 1, 1825, on Henry’s Fork of the Green River, Ashley wrote:

On the 1st day of july, all the men in my employ or with whom I had any concern in the country, together with twenty-nine, who had recently withdrawn from the Hudson Bay company, making in all 120 men, were assembled in two camps near each other about 20 miles distant from the place appointed by me as a general rendezvous, when it appeared that we had been scattered over the territory west of the mountains in small detachments from the 38th to the 44th degree of latitude, and the only injury we had sustained by Indian depredations was the stealing of 17 horses by the Crows on the night of the 2nd april, as before mentioned, and the loss of one man killed on the headwaters of the Rio Colorado, by a party of Indians unknown.

Part of Ashley’s one hundred and twenty men were at least twelve men with Etienne Provost from Taos and possibly other Indians besides those defecting from Peter Skene Ogden of the Hudson’s Bay Company with seven hundred pelts.

Ashley left the day after the gathering and took his furs over South Pass and down the Bighorn Canyon to near present Thermopolis, Wyoming. The furs were loaded into bullboats and floated down the Bighorn and the Yellowstone rivers to the Missouri River where Ashley met the Atkinson-O'Fallon Expedition. General Henry Atkinson and Indian agent Benjamin O’Fallon had come up the Missouri in a paddle wheeler to negotiate treaties with the various Indian tribes along the Missouri River, and they hauled William Ashley’s furs to St. Louis.

R3 Again: The link for the story and the map for each year's rendezvous is located at Rendezvous Sites Fur Trade GPS Locations Pictures Facts Maps History.

You know I could never get my starts and stops right...

Old 09-17-2011, 07:06 AM

That's about as detailed as you can get. I've read several reports and most all of them start out with what is now "Sweetwater County in 1825." So grab the next one.

BTW, I can understand them having GPS systems, but where did they buy batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
There isn't one - I thought you wanted to know where they wound up.

They started from N41° 2' 33.1" W109° 59' 39.2", which is known today as Burnt Fork. I guess that would be the "rendezvous point."

Writing from Burnt Fork in 1825:

July 1, 1825, on Henry’s Fork of the Green River, Ashley wrote:

On the 1st day of july, all the men in my employ or with whom I had any concern in the country, together with twenty-nine, who had recently withdrawn from the Hudson Bay company, making in all 120 men, were assembled in two camps near each other about 20 miles distant from the place appointed by me as a general rendezvous, when it appeared that we had been scattered over the territory west of the mountains in small detachments from the 38th to the 44th degree of latitude, and the only injury we had sustained by Indian depredations was the stealing of 17 horses by the Crows on the night of the 2nd april, as before mentioned, and the loss of one man killed on the headwaters of the Rio Colorado, by a party of Indians unknown.

Part of Ashley’s one hundred and twenty men were at least twelve men with Etienne Provost from Taos and possibly other Indians besides those defecting from Peter Skene Ogden of the Hudson’s Bay Company with seven hundred pelts.

Ashley left the day after the gathering and took his furs over South Pass and down the Bighorn Canyon to near present Thermopolis, Wyoming. The furs were loaded into bullboats and floated down the Bighorn and the Yellowstone rivers to the Missouri River where Ashley met the Atkinson-O'Fallon Expedition. General Henry Atkinson and Indian agent Benjamin O’Fallon had come up the Missouri in a paddle wheeler to negotiate treaties with the various Indian tribes along the Missouri River, and they hauled William Ashley’s furs to St. Louis.

R3 Again: The link for the story and the map for each year's rendezvous is located at Rendezvous Sites Fur Trade GPS Locations Pictures Facts Maps History.

You know I could never get my starts and stops right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming