Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2011, 04:34 PM

1,983 posts, read 1,717,072 times

Advertisements

Yup. The dang thing hit me on the head when it came down and, well, the rest is history. Or dementia - I can't remember which.

Speaking of what happened way back when in Thermopolis, here's the next question:

What museum do you have to be really, really, really old to get into as an exhibit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,363,253 times
I don't know, but I'm old enough that they let me in any of them, no questions asked!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,302,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
What museum do you have to be really, really, really old to get into as an exhibit?
I think it's a trick question.

There is:

T-Rex in Ranchester

Wyoming Dinosaur Museum in Thermopolis rated #1 in the USA

Geological Museum in Laramie

Tate T-Rex in Casper

The whole state is filled with museums and generaly speaking, "most" are housed with inhabitants older then WyoNewk.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:54 PM

I dunno, ElkHunter. We went to the Wyoming State Museum in Cheyenne in June and found a whole bunch of stuff from my childhood!

But really, really, really old exhibits found in Thermopolis have to be in the Wyoming Dinosaur Museum - you're right!

Your turn...

Old 08-25-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
I dunno, ElkHunter. We went to the Wyoming State Museum in Cheyenne in June and found a whole bunch of stuff from my childhood!

But really, really, really old exhibits found in Thermopolis have to be in the Wyoming Dinosaur Museum - you're right!

Your turn...
Hey. I had to really research that question in order to find something old enough to be a resident that WyoNewk didn't qualify for. I had hundreds of browsers working on it.

There is an illustrator that does covers of fantasy and science fiction novels by Isaac Asimov, Piers Anthony, Robert Heinlein and J.R.R. Tolkien. He lives in Cody. What is this illustrators name?

Kind of a tough one.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:39 PM

Hey ElkHunter - That is one heck of a Sweet question.

Google was stumped. Amazon was no help. He doesn't advertise. I even called Darrell, my intel analyst, and he couldn't get it. My next bet was to head down to the Library of Congress (best lit searchers on the planet there) tomorrow, but Hurricane Irene has us trapped.

I was thinking about this New Jersey-born fellow who started illustrating for Zane Gray and Louis L'Amore, but that middle initial - K versus R - was a real stickler. Tracy and I recall there was a Grande View from our car on our Drive through Cody, but that didn't even help.

So I've got a name, address and phone number, but I hate to give up a 77 year-old gentleman's privacy...

What do you think?

Old 08-28-2011, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Hey ElkHunter - That is one heck of a Sweet question.

Google was stumped. Amazon was no help. He doesn't advertise. I even called Darrell, my intel analyst, and he couldn't get it. My next bet was to head down to the Library of Congress (best lit searchers on the planet there) tomorrow, but Hurricane Irene has us trapped.

I was thinking about this New Jersey-born fellow who started illustrating for Zane Gray and Louis L'Amore, but that middle initial - K versus R - was a real stickler. Tracy and I recall there was a Grande View from our car on our Drive through Cody, but that didn't even help.

So I've got a name, address and phone number, but I hate to give up a 77 year-old gentleman's privacy...

What do you think?
You got it!!! Good job.

Sweet’s illustrations grace the covers of fantasy and science fiction novels by Isaac Asimov, Piers Anthony, Robert Heinlein and J.R.R. Tolkien. Sweet lives in Cody.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:44 PM

Thanks, ElkHunter. It was a great pursuit.

Here's the next question, brought about by the former vice president's book (coming out Tuesday):

What age was Dick Cheney when his family moved to Casper?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 PM

16,786 posts, read 49,380,796 times
Quote:
Thanks, ElkHunter. It was a great pursuit.

Here's the next question, brought about by the former vice president's book (coming out Tuesday):

What age was Dick Cheney when his family moved to Casper?
Not sure how exact you want to be.

One account says: "He was born in Nebraska and grew up in Casper, Wyo. He entered Yale University in 1959 but failed to graduate".

Another says: "Cheney was born in Lincoln, Nebraska, ...He attended Calvert Elementary School (Lincoln, Nebraska) before his family moved to Casper, Wyoming,[9] where he attended Natrona County High School."

I have not been able to narrow it down more then that, so I'm estimating he started High School around 1955-56.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM

CptnRn, I'm going to give you that one - real good research work. According to the Washington Post, he was 13 years old in 1954 when his family moved to Casper. In an article published last Friday about what Dick Cheney used to read, the paper wrote:

It may not be surprising that the former vice president, who has a warrior’s soul if not the combat boots, had an early fascination with the battlefield. Before he was a teenager, Cheney writes, he pored over battlefield maps detailing French forces at war in Vietnam. When his family moved to Casper, Wy., in 1954, Cheney, just 13, turned his imagination toward World War II. He read “Guadalcanal Diary,” correspondent Richard Tregaskis’s classic account of Marines at rest and in battle, and “Those Devils in Baggy Pants,”paratrooper Ross S. Carter’s account of fighting the Nazis.

In Casper, young Cheney was drawn to stories of Western mountain men full of whiskey and curses. He loved A.B. Guthrie’s 1947 novel “The Big Sky,” which, he writes, recreated the “high plains and higher mountains that was now my backyard.”The Guthrie novel was surpassed in his heart only by Bernard De Voto’s “Across the Wide Missouri.” This 1947 history of the Western fur trade brought the landscape, in De Voto’s words — “gullies, knife-edges, sage, greasewood, and . . . small sweet creeks flowing among cottonwoods” into sharp relief. “I’ve reread ‘Across the Wide Missouri’ many times since my youth,” Cheney writes, “It’s one of those books I’ve never really put away.”

Dick Cheney’s reading list - The Washington Post

Other Dick Cheney trivia - The federal building in Casper is named for him; his current 'secure undisclosed location' is actually in Montana; his management style was to never suffer fools gladly (he is famous in Washington for that); and he currently wears an LVAD device, which mechanically boosts the output of the left ventricle of his heart. (It actually has a crank in case the battery fails - hardest rescue course I've taken in years was how to treat an LVAD patient.)

You, Sir, are up for the next question...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming