Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2009, 09:08 AM

625 posts, read 1,893,644 times

Advertisements

Sorry! Forgot to check back until late last night & then had to come up w/ the next question.

Here goes.....it's a 3 part question. Probably fairly easy, but I can't find my notes from when we were out there for a week+ last fall. I know there'd be some goodies in there!

Who was the first recorded white man in the Togwotee pass area and in what year? What had he done or where had he been just before that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 01:08 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,883,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
Sorry! Forgot to check back until late last night & then had to come up w/ the next question.

Here goes.....it's a 3 part question. Probably fairly easy, but I can't find my notes from when we were out there for a week+ last fall. I know there'd be some goodies in there!

Who was the first recorded white man in the Togwotee pass area and in what year? What had he done or where had he been just before that?
John Colter was the first known white man to be in the Togwotee Pass area and it was in the year 1807. I believe he was in Yellowstone trapping just before that.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:23 PM

Close enough.

He was discharged from the Lewis & Clark exp. in Aug 1806 in Mandan, ND, because he wanted to go back & explore some more. All I have is that he was in the Togwotee area, and also the grand Teatons and then Yellowstone, so who knows what order they all happened.

Sorry I was away, again. Got a new grandaughter about 12:30PM today!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Close enough.

He was discharged from the Lewis & Clark exp. in Aug 1806 in Mandan, ND, because he wanted to go back & explore some more. All I have is that he was in the Togwotee area, and also the grand Teatons and then Yellowstone, so who knows what order they all happened.

Sorry I was away, again. Got a new grandaughter about 12:30PM today!
Congrats on the New Grandaughter!!! Is this your first?

I was going to say that he was on expedition with Lewis and Clark, but then I read about his trapping in the Yellowstone area and was the first white man to see the wonders of Yellwostone and reported what he saw. They (his being part of the exped. and the trapping) were all about in the same timeline so I wasn't sure exactly when he saw Togwotee Pass.

Now for my next question:

A tribe of Native Americans in WY killed their fattest dogs for a grand feast for what 2 white women?

Old 08-15-2009, 08:21 PM

380 posts, read 1,149,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
Congrats on the New Grandaughter!!! Is this your first?

I was going to say that he was on expedition with Lewis and Clark, but then I read about his trapping in the Yellowstone area and was the first white man to see the wonders of Yellwostone and reported what he saw. They (his being part of the exped. and the trapping) were all about in the same timeline so I wasn't sure exactly when he saw Togwotee Pass.

Now for my next question:

A tribe of Native Americans in WY killed their fattest dogs for a grand feast for what 2 white women?
not sure if there are names?
When the Indians saw the first two white women in Wyoming, they were astonished that such pale creatures could survive the trip, and they killed the fattest dogs to prepare a feast for their guests.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Congrats on the New Grandaughter!!! Is this your first?..........
The 2nd. Same Papa & Mama. The other one will be 2 the 1st week in Sept.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:48 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,302,116 times
Quote:
Wow, we are not digging back to,,,,,,,,, Wow!

Old 08-15-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post
not sure if there are names?
When the Indians saw the first two white women in Wyoming, they were astonished that such pale creatures could survive the trip, and they killed the fattest dogs to prepare a feast for their guests.
There are names for the 2 women. Keep digging, you'll find them. (a hint: the year was 1836 if that will help)

Old 08-15-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Well again congrats and I wish the baby and family well. I'm still on my 1st grandchild and she will be 3yo. in less than a week. There is talk of maybe another one in the near future.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
There are names for the 2 women. Keep digging, you'll find them. (a hint: the year was 1836 if that will help)

Narcissa Whitman and Eliza Spalding????? Both were married to missionaries & went up the Oregon trail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming