Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,095,534 times

Advertisements

Fort Nonsense had two other names, what were they and how did it come to be known as Fort Nonsense, and where was it located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 03:20 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,175,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Fort Nonsense had two other names, what were they and how did it come to be known as Fort Nonsense, and where was it located?

Fort Bonneville (1832-1839) - Never an official U.S. Military outpost, rather, Fort Bonneville was a fur trading post built by Captain E.L. Bonneville in 1832. In 1835, it was the site of a rendezvous, known as "The Green River Rendezvous.” The Fort was mocked and nick-named by other U.S. Forts as Fort Nonsense. Early snow falls made the fort unusable in the winter and by 1839 it was abandoned. Though all signs of the original fort have long since disappeared back into the landscape, a historic marker is posted at the site, approximately three miles northwest of Daniel, Wyoming

Origin of Name:

Known as “Bonneville’s Old Fort,” but called by the trappers “Fort Nonsense,” or “Bonneville’s Folly,” from the fact that no use was ever made of it. This was because Bonneville later realized that the situation of the post was such that the climate was too severe in winter for a permanent post. Even the Indians left it in winter. Located on west shore of Green River, five miles above the mouth of Horse Creek.

Other Names: Old Fort Bonneville, Fort Nonsense, Bonneville's Folly, Bonneville's Old Fort

Old 03-31-2010, 03:34 PM

You got it Froggie Legs. Your turn.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:49 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,298,985 times
really says alot for the ranchers that winter that area

Old 03-31-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
really says alot for the ranchers that winter that area
No kidding, I had to look up where it was after reading that. Daniel is not far West of Pinedale. I'm wondering if something about where the fort was located caused heavy snow drifts to build up. One website said:

Quote:
An early snowstorm that nearly buried them showed the locatoin to be a poor one. Bonnevill and his men left, heading south.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:43 PM

What percent of Wyoming is #1 owned by the US government #2. Owned by the state of Wyoming #3. How many acres are owned by the Native Americans?

Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,596,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
A little off topic but I wanted to say this. I've traveled a LOT through the US and our rest areas are above and beyond any in the Country. It just don't get better then Wyoming.
I've got to agree with you there. They are about the nicest I've ever seen, and are very efficient, too!

Old 04-01-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
What percent of Wyoming is #1 owned by the US government #2. Owned by the state of Wyoming #3. How many acres are owned by the Native Americans?
#1 % owned by the US government:

Quote:
Wyoming - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More than 48% of the land in Wyoming is owned by the U.S. Government, leading Wyoming to rank sixth in the US in total acres and fifth in percentage of a state's land owned by the Federal government.[7] This amounts to about 30,099,430 acres (121,808.1 km2) owned and managed by the U.S. Government.

#2. % Owned by the state of Wyoming:

Quote:
The state government owns an additional 6% of all Wyoming lands, or another 3,864,800 acres (15,640 km2). Cite same reference as above.

#3. acres owned by Native Americans:

In my opinion all of the State of Wyoming and the United States of America belong to the Native Americans. It is very clear if we look at history that we stole the land from a people who did not have a concept of owning land.

If we limit our consideration to only the current definitions of ownership then at present the Native Americans control only:

Quote:
The Wind River Indian Reservation is shared by the Eastern Shoshone and Northern Arapaho tribes of Amerindians in the central western portion of the state near Lander. It is the seventh-largest Indian reservation in the United States, with a land area of 8,995.733 km2 (3,473.272 sq mi), encompassing most of Fremont County and part of neighboring Hot Springs County.[26] The reservation is home to 2,500 Eastern Shoshone and 5,000 Northern Arapaho.[27] Cite same reference as above.
Converting (3,473.272 sq mi) into acres I come up with this 2,222,894 acres

In my opinion we owe the Native Americans a huge debt of gratitude and much, much, much more for what we have taken from them, by force.

The America's were not unoccupied when we Europeans moved here. They were only gently used and shared, with reverence for future generations.

Edit: That is not to say that the control of the lands did not change from time to time depending on what tribe was in power in the region, but they did not consider it ownership. The lands, the flora and fauna were there to benefit all. One may use and occupy land, but not own it.

Last edited by CptnRn; 04-01-2010 at 05:53 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 PM

you are correct. your turn. The reason I checked on this info was my husband said land in Utah ( I think) is being bought up by the Feds and that some people are upset. Land Grab By the Federal Government? - Glenn Beck - FOXNews.com <- was aired on there.

I agree about the Native Americans, and I do think the voices of Native Americans in the "American" scheme of things is woefully underrepresented. JMPO

Old 04-02-2010, 10:29 AM

In 2004, after learning that NASA had determined that Jupiter would be hit by up to 6 comets or meteors, possibly destroying any life on the planet, The mayor and council of ___________, Wyoming passed a resolution allowing any citizens of Jupiter to take sanctuary in their town. The resolution authorized NASA to "broadcast this offer to the possible residents of our sister planet; designated the emergency aircraft landing field, just south of our city, be officially designated the Greater _____________ Intergalactic Spaceport, all residents of the City were encouraged to prepare themselves to make welcome any refugees who might cast themselves upon our mercy". Two city council members objected to the resolution for several reasons:

What is the name of the City and the spaceport, and what were the four reasons given by the council members who objected to the resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming