Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 07:50 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,173,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
The American Dream Drive-in in Powell, used to be known as the Vali Drive-in, and prior to that, Paul's Drive-in, I believe. It was built in 1949, and opened on May 6 of that year. It was later sold in 1967, again sometime around 1975, and once more in 2004, when it was remodeled and renamed to it's current name, American Dream.

Wyoming drive-in still thriving | Deseret News (Salt Lake City) Newspaper | Find Articles at BNET
even more info than I had. your turn Jdavid! Anyone on the board been to that drive in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:44 PM

215 posts, read 667,945 times
I went there several times while I was attending college in Powell. I sure miss the Skyline here in Sheridan. Had many a good times there growing up.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
even more info than I had. your turn Jdavid! Anyone on the board been to that drive in?
I haven't been there, or even to Powell, for that matter. It's one of the few parts of the state I have yet to visit. I may have to go to the movies when I get there, since it's now the last drive-in still in operation in Wyoming. Chris LeDoux had a song about that very subject. I didn't find it on Youtube, unfortunately.
I did find this link to an audio version, though:

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Chris+LeDou...e6f8c90d6f3b1e

Anyway, here's the next question (below in bold type):

Passive solar energy system is the result of the combined effect of glazing, thermal mass, insulation, weatherized structure, and optimal angle to the sun.

What structure in Wyoming utilizes the following five concepts in it's construction, and what is the structure's purpose?

1. South-oriented, triple-thick polycarbonate glazing: It is triple thick which allows for two insulating air spaces. Dead air space insulates and slows the cooling of the structure as well as helps to keep it cooler in summer. The glazing faces south at an optimal 45° angle. It is strong and is resistant to both hail and fire.

2. Thermal Mass: This mass gives off heat because the night/day difference in temperature is great enough to cause the warmer heat from it to radiate into the cooler structure. In summer the mass helps to keep the structure cooler because it is shaded most of the day.

3. Insulation: Both the east and west walls as well as the north roof are heavily insulated. The perimeter of the foundation exterior is also insulated into the earth with a two-inch sheet of Styrofoam along the outside of the concrete foundation to a depth of two feet. This insulates the ground inside the structure from the cold ground outside during winter.

4. A weatherized structure: All windows, doors, fans and vents are well weather-stripped to prevent leaks and cold drafts.

5. An optimal angle to the sun: During the summer, the sun is higher in the sky and the thermal mass towards the rear of the structure is in shadow which helps keep the structure cool. During the winter, the sun is lower in the sky. It shines directly onto the thermal mass, causing it to collect heat that is later released as the structure cools.

I'm sure there are quite a few structures that have some or most of these features, and there may be more than one structure that has all of them, but I'm thinking of one in particular.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,291,155 times
sounds like the rest stops

Old 03-29-2010, 11:42 PM

380 posts, read 1,145,662 times
a greenhouse?

Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
sounds like the rest stops
That's not the answer I'm looking for.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claim Jumper View Post
a greenhouse?
Well, you're partly correct. I am looking for one particular greenhouse in Wyoming.

Hint: State Capitol.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Cheyenne Botanic Gardens, uses passive solar heating. This is an impressive demonstration project given that it is located in one of the harshest climates in the US.

Quote:
Passive Solar Heating- Heating is one of the more expensive components in any temperate greenhouse but the Cheyenne Botanic Gardens conservatory is heated for free. The conservatory is 100% solar heated and is one of the region's largest demonstrations of passive solar energy. The word “passive” comes from the fact that there are no moving parts involved in keeping the greenhouse warm. However fans are used to keep the greenhouse cool. The passive solar heat provides 100% of the heat to three separate 28' x 45' greenhouse sections. The rest of the 6,800 square foot building also receives a substantial amount of heat generated from the solar greenhouses and receives back-up heat with a gas forced air system.
Quote:
The Cheyenne Botanic Gardens began as a vision in 1977 to build a non-profit, solar heated greenhouse that would allow senior, youth and handicapped volunteers to grow plants and vegetables year-round. This vision became reality with the Cheyenne Community Solar Greenhouse, housed in a structure located east of Cheyenne. It was built through the efforts of many caring staff and community volunteers. It was funded through low-income assistance programs under Community Action of Laramie County. This structure was one of the world’s first 100% large-scale solar heated greenhouses.
Cheyenne Botanic Gardens: (http://www.botanic.org/Garden_Map.asp - broken link)

Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Cheyenne Botanic Gardens, uses passive solar heating. This is an impressive demonstration project given that it is located in one of the harshest climates in the US.

Cheyenne Botanic Gardens: (http://www.botanic.org/Garden_Map.asp - broken link)
That's the one. Your turn.
It's a neat place to visit if you've never been, or even if you have!

Here's the site I found the information on:

Cheyenne Botanic Gardens: (http://www.botanic.org/Passive_Solar_Heating.asp - broken link)

Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
A little off topic but I wanted to say this. I've traveled a LOT through the US and our rest areas are above and beyond any in the Country. It just don't get better then Wyoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming