Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 07:30 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,384,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I always think that, too. How did these people even get into high school?
Much less graduate! Standards must be pretty low. "No child left behind" is a joke.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:27 AM

19,233 posts, read 25,572,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Much less graduate! Standards must be pretty low. "No child left behind" is a joke.

Well, the "father" of No Child Left Behind was none other than George W. Bush.
In promoting this legislation, Dubya was quoted as saying, "Only rarely is the question asked--IS our children learning?"

That should explain it.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, the "father" of No Child Left Behind was none other than George W. Bush.
In promoting this legislation, Dubya was quoted as saying, "Only rarely is the question asked--IS our children learning?"

That should explain it.

That was only one of his many verbal gaffes. That said, I think there is probably a direct correlation between having a love of reading and being able to express thoughts well in writing. Most folks I know who are avid readers are also excellent writers.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,885,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
It was a joke.
I got it.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
It was a joke.
Too obvious. Which is why I fixed it AND referred you to article defending my use of "graduated from" since you were apparently agreeing with southward bound.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:06 AM

37,393 posts, read 41,687,377 times
Quote:
Too obvious. Which is why I fixed it AND referred you to article defending my use of "graduated from" since you were apparently agreeing with southward bound.
You may want to read more of the thread. All of us are deliberately including errors in our responses.

Were graduated from is correct. See your own link.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I got it.
So did I.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You may want to read more of the thread. All of us are deliberately including errors in our responses.

Were graduated from is correct. See your own link.
From the link:
"I don't know why so many people have taken to dropping the "from" and are going around saying they graduated college, but it really is wrong. Do your alma mater a favor and make your English instructors proud. Tell people you graduated from college or high school."

And yes, I have read the thread and have seen the deliberate errors. But out of all the garbled grammar I have seen, I can't think of a single instance where anyone used "no" in lieu of "know. Their/they're/there - yes. Loose/lose - yes. Advise/advice - yes. So many more - yes. But know/no - not so much.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:59 AM

Quote:
From the link:
"I don't know why so many people have taken to dropping the "from" and are going around saying they graduated college, but it really is wrong. Do your alma mater a favor and make your English instructors proud. Tell people you graduated from college or high school."

And yes, I have read the thread and have seen the deliberate errors. But out of all the garbled grammar I have seen, I can't think of a single instance where anyone used "no" in lieu of "know. Their/they're/there - yes. Loose/lose - yes. Advise/advice - yes. So many more - yes. But know/no - not so much.
No one here was saying that "graduated high school" is correct. That is why your posts are confusing.

Copanut is the one who started the thread. He or she obviously has an interest in grammar and spelling. That is why most of us got the use of "no" for "know" as intentional. It does not matter whether or not the general public makes the mistake frequently.

The intent of the thread is to play with words while we provide examples of the foibles of writers of the English language. If you see one homonym substituted for another here, you can pretty well assume it was done on porpoise.

Just relax and enjoy it.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM

19,233 posts, read 25,572,386 times
One of my teaching colleagues would occasionally inform us that she had been visited by, "a former graduate".
My consistent response, which never garnered any reaction from her--other than a confused look--was..."When did we repossess his diploma?"

Just as we all wonder how some folks graduated from high school, I used to wonder how she had even been admitted to a college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing