Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 06:37 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But, tell me, Retriever, help me to understand: HOW CAN THERE BE SO MANY OF THEM???? WHERE WERE THEY WHEN THIS WAS TAUGHT?????

I wish that I had an answer to that question, but--unfortunately--I do not.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:27 AM

202 posts, read 128,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Well, for that matter, "consise" is also a made-up word (whatever happened to "concise"?), and the use of "its" as a contraction of "it is" is... new, as is the use of "shes" as a contraction of "she is", so I guess that there is some ground-breaking taking place in this thread .

I always advise people to accept my advice regarding proper use and spelling of words. They never listen to me.

Contractions? Many C-D members are doing well to flip a coin to decide if an apostrophe is warranted. It's like they never attended school, or were doing dope when English was being taught. Let's hope they smoke dope better than they spell!

"Oops, I dropped my joint and messed up my texting, almost crashed my car!"

Old 05-10-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
But, tell me, Retriever, help me to understand: HOW CAN THERE BE SO MANY OF THEM???? WHERE WERE THEY WHEN THIS WAS TAUGHT?????
Quote:
I wish that I had an answer to that question, but--unfortunately--I do not.
What is the proper number of question marks to use when posting in a forum? I think just one. Okay, I sometimes do that multi-? thing too. What's a grrl to do when faced with such dolts???

And what's with the question in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS? Yelling questions?

Sorry MQ, I didn't mean to take a shot at you. My apologies are hereby tendered!

Old 05-10-2017, 10:43 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
That's the pot calling the cattle black! - Moo?

Old 05-10-2017, 11:11 AM

4,796 posts, read 2,800,346 times
Default Counterculturally yours,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
That's the pot calling the cattle black! - Moo?
I owe you a rep!

Or - alternatively factually - it's the pot saying: Heavy, man, far out!

(Yah, dated, I know ... )

Old 05-10-2017, 01:34 PM

My candidate for Run-on Sentence of the Day is below. I realize that it would never garner Run-on Sentence of the Year status, but I think that it is a contender for today's title.

hi so im getting really pissed off with my state return because i filed back in february and havent received my state yet i got my federal but not state and i called them but cant find the number i called now to speak to someone not a damn machine and they told me i needed to send them some different documentation cause i claimed my daughter now i havent heard anything since so im wanting to know if there is someone or someplace i can call to complain about this scumbag irs cause im not gonna sit here like an idiot and wait forever so if anyone can help me that would be greatly appreciated and to agree with that one post i cant stand our scumbag governor either he probably did spend our money on donut runs and shoving big macs and whoppers in his mouth

Old 05-10-2017, 03:36 PM

Ive heard the middle school is good.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:39 PM

I'm mot a vegetarian but trying to add more greens and veggies in my diet but having trouble finding easy ways to do it. I can only eat so much salads. I'd like to cook all kinds of vegetables especially the odds one like beets, cauliflower, celery ect.

Ect, indeed!
What are the odds?

Old 05-10-2017, 03:49 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,787,522 times
Agree how can we tell this to the many uneducated black and Hispanic voters that's Democrat?

So, it's Societies fault, not yours.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I'm mot a vegetarian but trying to add more greens and veggies in my diet but having trouble finding easy ways to do it. I can only eat so much salads. I'd like to cook all kinds of vegetables especially the odds one like beets, cauliflower, celery ect.

Ect, indeed!
What are the odds?
I can beat that! I used to know somebody who actually spoke "ect" as a word!

Also met a geeky guy who used the Internet abbreviation LOL in his speech! He'd say, "That's funny, lol."

We should summarize this whole topic and publish it as a compendium of anti-grammar!

Slap it together with a grammar text and the two would undergo a fusion reaction and blow up the Universe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing