Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 12:36 PM

511 posts, read 636,925 times

Advertisements

I was reading a review on Amazon about a book, and the reviewer wrote, "The poster of Arrowsmith on Jim's wall..." She mustn't have been into music as a teenager. heheheha

Old 08-25-2016, 04:36 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,846,995 times
This peeked my interest- comment taken from an "exceptional homeschooling" group

Old 08-25-2016, 05:53 PM

4,809 posts, read 2,852,820 times
Default Domini, domini, domini, yer all Catholic now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
This peeked my interest- comment taken from an "exceptional homeschooling" group
Yah, @ the more subtle phrases, Spellcheck is not your friend. Syntaxcheck might have caught this, it depends on how thorough the version is.

Spellcheck just looks @ each word & says: That's a word, that's a word, that's not a word ...

Old 08-26-2016, 10:37 AM

So your saying you condone this, what if one of those 2 boys you have came home with this nonsense, oh thats right, it wouldnt happen, looks as if you and your husband have a stable home for your 2 "BOYS", why not give us some insight to this ludicracy, wheres the father ?, where did the parents fail as parents ?, is he adopted ? - This dude's got quite a (wrong) way with words and has taken a lot of artistic license with punctuation, as well. Baffling.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:33 PM

37,312 posts, read 41,840,378 times
From a headline for an article at a well known website. I have been watching to see if anyone corrected the error. Nope.

It's just beautiful that there are people out there that are willing to give up there own time and come together to be there for somebody.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:43 PM

I just received an email from a business I plan on visiting this upcoming week. They ask that I read the instructions for parking in, "it's entiraty."

Old 08-26-2016, 04:56 PM

19,247 posts, read 25,675,335 times
I am emmaculate about personal hygiene...

Old 08-26-2016, 06:09 PM

Default And all the children are above average

Our local 'paper on animal rights @ the rodeo:

"We'll have some literature to pass out for anyone who is willing take it. It exploits the cruelty at what happens at rodeos"

Exploits seems to me to be the wrong word. Maybe explains, or explores ...

" ... when she found out through a radio commercial then her radar went up and she wanted ..."

Well, given that it's animal rights that she's concerned about, the metaphor about radar does seem a tad strange.

" ... he feels that groups such as PETA have become an overkill and some are looking for trouble"

An overkill in this context seems to be hilariously inappropriate. Anytime you get kill in a political statement, you've gone beyond the pale.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:35 AM

19,247 posts, read 25,675,335 times
From an article about a mysterious old grave which has a tombstone, but no coffin:

We were all left stretching our heads where the body could be....With the stone moved, and no more ledes to probe, the city put the issue to bed.

Ah, yes...journalism at its finest.
Or, perhaps in this case, it should be...at it's finest...

Old 08-27-2016, 09:22 AM

Default This too shall passim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
From an article about a mysterious old grave which has a tombstone, but no coffin:

We were all left stretching our heads where the body could be....With the stone moved, and no more ledes to probe, the city put the issue to bed.

Ah, yes...journalism at its finest.
Or, perhaps in this case, it should be...at it's finest...
Head stretching? Sounds like the Maya (& all over the World, surprisingly, actually - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artifi...al_deformation) to me.

stretching our heads where the body could be - Very sloppy writing, & a physical impossibility, unless the deceased is a child or only a token body. Impossible to stretch a place, & if the physical body is there, unlikely that one would wish to stretch it, either. No sir, it just won't do, no matter how you look on it (with disgust, is my take).

I've seen ledes a couple of times recently. The online dictionary I looked @ said - the opening to a newspaper story, etc., meant to entice the reader to continue. If that's accurate, then the substitution of ledes for leads (the word I typically expect to find in this usage) is wrong, & should be disallowed.

& put the issue to bed in this context has to be some kind of cutesy usage (I detest cutesy usages). It's too much to ask that the writer be parodying his/her own clumsy handling of the language - (heads, body, stone, ledes, put to bed - all real journalistic argot, & a fair sampling of that specialized language. But too late, too late, to convince me that this person knows what they're doing.) To continue in this vein, the story should have showed up in the morgue, perhaps with a nice line drawing of a pietà to top it all off. Memento mori would make a good headline ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing