Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2016, 09:50 AM

19,236 posts, read 25,612,395 times

Advertisements

Some lessons in The New Geography from...the campaign trail:

He was born in Afghan.

Belgium is a nice city.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:39 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,836,247 times
Wow I can't believe you said that your wired.

It was acrossed from it.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:56 AM

Once you have lived there for alittle you wil probably be happy.
Trust me once you get use to the area you will find stuff.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:12 PM

I was reading the comments (I KNOW, bad idea!) on ABC News over yonder on facebook. Oh boy, I am filled with regret. There is a story about a Nazi war criminal who was sentenced to five years in prison, although with appeals, it's most likely he'll never see the inside of a cell. There are MANY very clueless people talking about how this former SS sergeant was a "victim" of Hitler. One guy had this to say to me:

People you don't know what kind situation he was in! I am sure he went HELL! You dont know what on his mind! Are y'all MIND reader?? Then ****!

I informed him that he might be better off doing some research on the subject.

even SS soldiers get killed! $h!t happen! When in War World II. They was killing everyone! Not just JEWS! End of Discussion and No you didn't win this topic! FYI My DAD has major in HISTORY!

I gave him this answer:
You realize that YOU need to actually read the words in books in order for them to enter your consciousness, right? Your dad's history major doesn't seep into your brain through osmosis. "They WAS killing everyone!" Yeah, okay, you "win."

I am disturbed for so many reasons. First, hearing people call an SS sergeant a "victim" was jarring, to say the least. But the collective illiteracy coupled with the horrible ignorance on the subject matter leads me to believe that we'll be repeating history in the near future.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:33 PM

^^^
As Santayana stated, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

However, I think that we need to slightly alter his thoughts in order to say...Those who can't comprehend the past condemn all of us to repeat those past mistakes.

When you consider the very real War on Intellectualism that is taking place around us nowadays, the modern-day Know Nothings will soon get their way unless intelligent thought and a sense of history are both allowed to prevail.

Old 06-17-2016, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
^^^
As Santayana stated, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

However, I think that we need to slightly alter his thoughts in order to say...Those who can't comprehend the past condemn all of us to repeat those past mistakes.

When you consider the very real War on Intellectualism that is taking place around us nowadays, the modern-day Know Nothings will soon get their way unless intelligent thought and a sense of history are both allowed to prevail.

I've truly given myself a headache today, trying to bring about understanding. I'm starting to feel like a real sanctimonious puke, too, to be honest. I think it's an unfortunate side effect but I don't like feeling that way, either. The Holocaust is a subject that pushes every one of my buttons. I cannot stay silent, even when it would be better for my own sanity. I usually try not to let "internet words" get to me, but seeing people sympathize with a Nazi SS officer truly made me sick to my stomach.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:09 PM

12,440 posts, read 14,996,934 times
I found this little gem of wisdom in a thread...

"Could care less" is modern slang for "couldn't care less...they mean the same thing"

You just can't make this stuff up.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:44 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,707,917 times
Yes, Putin is a great leader, that must be why his country is in complete economic shambles and the value of the rubble dropped to all-time lows.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Yes, Putin is a great leader, that must be why his country is in complete economic shambles and the value of the rubble dropped to all-time lows.
Yikes!
When even rubble drops in value, then you know that you have a severe economic problem.
What is the value of...less than nothing?

Old 06-18-2016, 08:50 AM

4,808 posts, read 2,843,836 times
Default Hard to keep one stone upon another

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Ah, yes. You know, Barney & Betty do their best, but then along comes Bamm-Bamm & lives up to his name. Aye, there's the rub-ble.

"Nobody knows the rubble I've seen,
Nobody knows my sorrow ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing