Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 07:49 AM

29,581 posts, read 22,988,257 times

Advertisements

For sure the company is hoping you either quit or they are starting the process to nitpick your every move and fire you.

Sucks but that's how life goes. Hope you find another job, at our ages it's not easy to find another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 08:49 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,489,257 times
What a crappy place to work. If you have the time off and need to use it, take it. I have both my boss and his supervisor yelling at me because I don't use all my vacation time.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:12 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,945,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Well, your brother in law and father's death would have been covered under the funeral leave, if you qualified. As for being sick, you missed work so it's an incident.

I see people talk about PIPs here like they are the kiss of death...we don't view them that way. A PIP in my organization is just a formal 'coaching' ..it's not the end of the world. HR doesn't even know about the PIP.

You can call them morons, but you know the policy when you accept the job........bitching about it while getting a PIP or corrective action isn't going to do you any good. don't like the policies? Don't accept the job.
PIP at 90% of White collar corps = You're Done.

Presumably you're in FL. So to add - I have intimate experience with the state and what goes on in FL does not represent the nation at all. Florida teachers are treated the worst. Construction workers there get shafted 10x more than in any other state. Etc etc.

Also unless this policy is communicated LOUD AND CLEAR IN ARIAL BOLDED FONT (I doubt it is) then most employees there get trapped completely by accident.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:06 PM

346 posts, read 254,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
For sure the company is hoping you either quit or they are starting the process to nitpick your every move and fire you.

Sucks but that's how life goes. Hope you find another job, at our ages it's not easy to find another job.
I don't think they want me to quite. They've invested too much time and training and I get along well with everyone. It's the woman upstairs who wants me to quit-the one that documents everything and brings it to the Big Guy. She hates everyone. But he is a weak man and doesn't tell her to go pound sand.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:12 PM

6,600 posts, read 8,507,764 times
I don't think 4 1/2 days in eight months is excessive. So I suspect that it's the days you leave 15 minutes early that the manager is referring to as excessive.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:04 PM

2,654 posts, read 3,195,619 times
I recall a coworker getting low marks on his evaluation for excessive sick time. He had been out several weeks for heart bypass surgery. The supervisor writing the evaluation took time off whenever she pleased for whatever reason.

Sounds like you have little Nazis peeping around every corner at everyone or they have decided they don't like you and are finding things to pick about.

Keep looking hard for another job. I know how tough that is but you may need to get out of there unless something changes.

Speak with head of HR and ask what policy you have violated. Show examples of others you know have taken similar time off.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:06 PM

17,888 posts, read 13,701,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think it's odd that you've worked somewhere for a year and a half and don't have clear knowledge of your company's time off policy.
Ya think????

OP needs to know what is expected.

As for the time off, depends on the reason

Old 08-17-2018, 03:08 PM

17,888 posts, read 13,701,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Without knowing your company's internal policies, I really can't say if that's excessive or not.
Also depends on company size as well as the reasons for the absences

Old 08-17-2018, 03:53 PM

50 posts, read 29,578 times
Maybe this is a backhanded way of saying they do not like the give and take you have with your direct reports; that is, coordination of time off should be formally documented.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:54 PM

346 posts, read 254,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think it's odd that you've worked somewhere for a year and a half and don't have clear knowledge of your company's time off policy.
There are people who have worked there 30 years and don't have clear knowledge of the time off policy. Obviously this is part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment