Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:47 PM

345 posts, read 252,681 times

Advertisements

Last Friday I was talked to about excessive absenteeism. So far this year I've taken 3.9 hours of personal time and 4 sick days (yes someone upstairs evidently documents all your time even you leave 15 minutes early). Then I was asked if I ever received an employee handbook (they couldn't find a form we are supposed to sign which is why they asked me). I said no I haven't (I've been here 1.5 years). I'm having such a hard time with this because I was always treated like a professional throughout my entire career (I'm 58). I never treated my 25 direct reports this way either. It was always a give and take.

My questions to you are 1) Do you think this is excessive absenteeism? 2) If there is no written policy about personal time or sick time is there anything an employee can do? I perused the entire employee manual and there is nothing. 3) How would you handle this if you thought this was absurd and knew you were stuck there? I'm seriously considering asking to become hourly so I don't have to deal with this. (I have already been trying to find a new job but have been turned down twice in the past year). Looking forward to your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 02:59 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,065,652 times
Seems a bit nit-picky to me. I would calmly ask for guidance and say, without being defensive, ask where it's noted in the employee handbook. Seems even more strange since you're not hourly.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:01 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
I think it's odd that you've worked somewhere for a year and a half and don't have clear knowledge of your company's time off policy.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:19 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,770,382 times
Doesn't sound excessive to me, especially if you're not hourly.

I agree, you should ask for a written copy of the time off policy. Tell them you want a copy so you can be sure not to violate it in the future.

I'm not sure that asking to go hourly will help.

It sounds like they may be making a paper trail/excuse to fire you so there can be no age discrimination claim.

I hope for your sake I'm wrong.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:49 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,922,391 times
Without knowing your company's internal policies, I really can't say if that's excessive or not.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:05 PM

326 posts, read 199,872 times
4 days in 8 months plus a few hours personal time? I wouldn't call it excessive.

One thing I will say is the salaried folks always seem to be absent more than us hourly guys... I haven't missed a day of work in over 2 years. Honestly don't remember the last time... I just know it was in 2016. We've got salaried folks here who miss 3-4 days every month and somehow get away with it. They can have it though... I'll take the OT that comes with hourly.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:46 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,111,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
Last Friday I was talked to about excessive absenteeism. So far this year I've taken 3.9 hours of personal time and 4 sick days (yes someone upstairs evidently documents all your time even you leave 15 minutes early). Then I was asked if I ever received an employee handbook (they couldn't find a form we are supposed to sign which is why they asked me). I said no I haven't (I've been here 1.5 years). I'm having such a hard time with this because I was always treated like a professional throughout my entire career (I'm 58). I never treated my 25 direct reports this way either. It was always a give and take.

My questions to you are 1) Do you think this is excessive absenteeism? 2) If there is no written policy about personal time or sick time is there anything an employee can do? I perused the entire employee manual and there is nothing. 3) How would you handle this if you thought this was absurd and knew you were stuck there? I'm seriously considering asking to become hourly so I don't have to deal with this. (I have already been trying to find a new job but have been turned down twice in the past year). Looking forward to your thoughts.
They're worried about revenue.

Your sick days represent lost revenue.

Because they KNOW you'll use all your vacation days, they count on employees to be relatively healthy so they don't lose too much revenue. If you've used 4 sick days, and the year is barely half-through, they look at you like you're going to cost them $.

I'm not saying you're at fault, I'm just telling you how companies view it. And the more candid companies will call you out on it yes.

My company would definitely do such a thing, but we have PTO, so they don't have to bother.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:05 PM

12,867 posts, read 9,085,451 times
I think there's a missing piece here. Something about the line "... documents your time even if you leave 15 minutes early" makes me think this is more about leaving early without documenting it than it is about a few hours and sick days in eight months. Like where I work. We're expected to be professional employees in all aspects except our time is tracked hourly so it can be billed hourly.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:25 PM

29,526 posts, read 22,704,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I think there's a missing piece here. Something about the line "... documents your time even if you leave 15 minutes early" makes me think this is more about leaving early without documenting it than it is about a few hours and sick days in eight months. Like where I work. We're expected to be professional employees in all aspects except our time is tracked hourly so it can be billed hourly.
I agree, that struck me also.

We need the whole story here not bits and pieces.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:34 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,667,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post

1) As you presented it, no.

2) Ask them to define exactly what their objections are, in writing. Ask them for exact definitions of when you may and may not take personal time or sick time, in writing.

3) What would I do? In a situation where I find out someone is nit-picking away, closely monitoring my time, looking for an excuse to complain or hang me? Find another job. You say you've tried, but how hard? As hard as if you were unemployed now? They say treat looking for a job like a job, so maybe you need two jobs for a while?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment