Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 08:09 PM

30,445 posts, read 52,145,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Can you use it to retire early, too?
Haha... I wish, but no. We have CalPERS accounts, which are vested after 6 years (full time), but can't be collected until 50-55 years of age. You do, however, get your unused vacation + partial unused sick hours in cash if/when you resign. To be honest, that's one of the reason I hoard those! Right now at my hourly rate, that's like $12,000 in "severance" pay.

Oh, but what you CAN do if you want to retire (just a little) early is save them until the end - and then be "sick" or "on vacation" for as long as your PTO will allow. We've had employees do that unintentionally, when they became ill shortly before their retirement age. One woman had a stroke maybe 6-8 months before her date, and people ended up donating their sick hours to get her there. I would have donated some myself, but was a fairly new hire at the time & hadn't accrued much yet.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-16-2018 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
I used to have a gig like yours I'm jealous! 2 weeks of vacation is the only time off policy documented (the employee handbook actually states 1 week until you have been there 2 years but I negotiated when I started thank goodness). This employee manual was clearly written a very long time ago and never updated. I don't think anyone there knows what PTO means.
Wow, ONE whole week (if you hadn't negotiated)? How generous of them.

This is what's wrong with the US employers, compared to those in Europe - where they actually value their workers, and understand the concept of a work-life balance. I'd be looking for a new job asap if I were you, and ask about their vacation/sick policies before accepting anything. That sucks.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:58 PM

15,778 posts, read 7,759,522 times
Quote:
Many corporations have a policy where you're allowed 6/7/8 absences in a rolling period (usually 1 year) but you start getting write-ups at the 3rd or 4th. What it really means is if you use all your paid sick time you're fired. "How DARE you use what I've given you!"
That's awful. I am very glad I have an employer who is far more generous.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:07 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,470,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Haha... I wish, but no. We have CalPERS accounts, which are vested after 6 years (full time), but can't be collected until 50-55 years of age. You do, however, get your unused vacation + partial unused sick hours in cash if/when you resign. To be honest, that's one of the reason I hoard those! Right now at my hourly rate, that's like $12,000 in "severance" pay.

Oh, but what you CAN do if you want to retire (just a little) early is save them until the end - and then be "sick" or "on vacation" for as long as your PTO will allow. We've had employees do that unintentionally, when they became ill shortly before their retirement age. One woman had a stroke maybe 6-8 months before her date, and people ended up donating their sick hours to get her there. I would have donated some myself, but was a fairly new hire at the time & hadn't accrued much yet.
1.) Is that still open to new entrants, and
2.) Are employees who live in lower CoL areas of CA eligible for the same?

Old 08-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
1.) Is that still open to new entrants, and
2.) Are employees who live in lower CoL areas of CA eligible for the same?
Are you asking about CalPERS? If so, I would assume yes to both... it's a state-wide retirement program for public employees, but not EVERY public agency chooses to participate. I've worked at six different public libraries (around the greater Bay Area), and only two IIRC did not have CalPERS. So it's more specific to the agency, as opposed to the COL or location.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:35 PM

561 posts, read 442,902 times
I am an Alabama educator, and we get 9 sick days a year plus 2 personal days. We can take 3 more personal days at the cost of a substitute ($75 a day), but the principal has to approve it in advance.

You have good years and bad years. I currently have 81 days of sick leave saved up. but I have been taking most of the 9 each year because my husband has heart trouble. I am taking 3 this month when I only earn 1 because he had cardiac surgery. I have to keep telling him it is ok.

You earn good will by having good years FIRST. While you can't control that, you can try to soldier on through minor illnesses. Even now, I try to conserve sick leave.

We can use ours for retirement credit, but I don't think of it that way. I think of it as short-term disability. The district provides LTD, but this fills the gap.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:40 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,926,322 times
I work in manufacturing operations management and have both hourly factory employees and professional office employees who report to me.

I don't see your absences as excessive or unreasonable--particularly in light of the fact that you never received any guidance on the company's sick time policies. Typically for the office/professional employees absenteeism usually is not an issue and they are given sick time and personal time to use as needed. I've only had to have a discussion with one person who was truly abusing the attendance policy by taking off early on Fridays and calling off work once or twice a month.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:19 PM

346 posts, read 254,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Wow, ONE whole week (if you hadn't negotiated)? How generous of them.

This is what's wrong with the US employers, compared to those in Europe - where they actually value their workers, and understand the concept of a work-life balance. I'd be looking for a new job asap if I were you, and ask about their vacation/sick policies before accepting anything. That sucks.
Trying very hard to find a new job for sure. I had an interview 4 weeks ago-the two hiring managers were probably late 30s. Went well in my opinion but I could tell I wasn't going to get hired.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:26 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,932,188 times
Quote:
Many corporations have a policy where you're allowed 6/7/8 absences in a rolling period (usually 1 year) but you start getting write-ups at the 3rd or 4th. What it really means is if you use all your paid sick time you're fired. "How DARE you use what I've given you!"
Thankfully this practice is specifically outlawed in NY state ($10,000 fine+) and harsh penalties await employers that discourage use of paid sick leave.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,146,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Put on a PIP for 4 unscheduled absences? In 2016, I had a brother in law, father in law, and my Dad die, and I was sick twice. Just what sort of PIP would apply to those situations? Whoever made the policies is a moron.

Well, your brother in law and father's death would have been covered under the funeral leave, if you qualified. As for being sick, you missed work so it's an incident.

I see people talk about PIPs here like they are the kiss of death...we don't view them that way. A PIP in my organization is just a formal 'coaching' ..it's not the end of the world. HR doesn't even know about the PIP.

You can call them morons, but you know the policy when you accept the job........bitching about it while getting a PIP or corrective action isn't going to do you any good. don't like the policies? Don't accept the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment