Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:37 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,650 times

Advertisements

There is total culture of negativity, blame, backstabbing and general underhand behaviour.

Bosses who don't want to know you most of the time, then when something goes wrong their looking to attack, colleagues who delight in seeing you in any trouble.

I have one colleague who is most miserable person you have ever met - the only time he cheers up is when someone else is in trouble - its almost like that the only thing that gives him hope, other people problems are his happiness.

I think the office environment of politeness, office/corporate culture puts people off guard, you should learn to trust your instincts - often your just surrounded by complete scumbags, no different to working on a building site, factory - If you worked on a building site laboring, what type of people would you expect to work with? I think that office environments are just the same only that there wearing shirts and ties and cloaking their aggression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 04:15 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,843,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
There is total culture of negativity, blame, backstabbing and general underhand behaviour.

Bosses who don't want to know you most of the time, then when something goes wrong their looking to attack, colleagues who delight in seeing you in any trouble.

I have one colleague who is most miserable person you have ever met - the only time he cheers up is when someone else is in trouble - its almost like that the only thing that gives him hope, other people problems are his happiness.

I think the office environment of politeness, office/corporate culture puts people off guard, you should learn to trust your instincts - often your just surrounded by complete scumbags, no different to working on a building site, factory - If you worked on a building site laboring, what type of people would you expect to work with? I think that office environments are just the same only that there wearing shirts and ties and cloaking their aggression.
No offense, but every single post you make is negative. I don't particularly like the corporate office setting either, but at least it pays the bills. I just kind of detach myself from the crap that surrounds my office job, do my work the best I can, and go home at the end of the day to a nice paycheck.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:17 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,650 times
Somebody once said to me - Work is where you find out what people are really like.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Somebody once said to me - Work is where you find out what people are really like.
Yeah, this one woman who I work with really showed her true colors today. She has always had kind of a haughty demeanor and always gives off this "I'm smarter than you and better than you" vibe. She is friendly enough, but she definitely has a superiority complex. She is also incredibly materialistic. The entire office knows that she has a vacation home in California. She also talks about her Lexis all the time.

Well, I asked her a question today about how to request reimbursement for a $50 training session. Everyone in the office attended, including her, and we were all eligible for reimbursement. Her response was "I never worry about those little expenses. My husband brings in the big bucks so I don't waste my time with it." and then started laughing.

My mouth just dropped open. I didn't even know how to respond, I was so shocked by the arrogance.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:57 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,419 times
Quote:

So true.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yeah, this one woman who I work with really showed her true colors today. She has always had kind of a haughty demeanor and always gives off this "I'm smarter than you and better than you" vibe. She is friendly enough, but she definitely has a superiority complex. She is also incredibly materialistic. The entire office knows that she has a vacation home in California. She also talks about her Lexis all the time.

Well, I asked her a question today about how to request reimbursement for a $50 training session. Everyone in the office attended, including her, and we were all eligible for reimbursement. Her response was "I never worry about those little expenses. My husband brings in the big bucks so I don't waste my time with it." and then started laughing.

My mouth just dropped open. I didn't even know how to respond, I was so shocked by the arrogance.
Don't worry, her fall will be a long one and she'll hit hard!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:10 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,151 times
Quote:
I'm not so sure. My work and private personas are completely different. Amongst my family and friends I'm goofy, mischievous( in a playful way), and can't go 10 minutes without cracking a joke. In my office, I'm quiet,serious, reserved and more or less keep to myself, effectively the complete opposite of what I believe my real personality is.

I think that's part of why I can't stand the corporate office culture because in addition to everything we've spoken about previously, I just don't feel like I can show my true personality and I'm always in CYA mode. It's like I'm putting on a fake front to maintain a certain image that just isn't me at all.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
I'm not so sure. My work and private personas are completely different. Amongst my family and friends I'm goofy, mischievous( in a playful way), and can't go 10 minutes without cracking a joke. In my office, I'm quiet,serious, reserved and more or less keep to myself, effectively the complete opposite of what I believe my real personality is.

I think that's part of why I can't stand the corporate office culture because in addition to everything we've spoken about previously, I just don't feel like I can show my true personality and I'm always in CYA mode. It's like I'm putting on a fake front to maintain a certain image that just isn't me at all.
That's always bugged me too. Everybody at work acts fake. People are afraid to ask questions or say the wrong thing in fear of offending someone or appearing incompetent. You can tell that none of them are being themselves. That's what bothers me the most.

Most act superficially cheery and laugh after every other sentence for some bizarre reason (my doctor's appointment ran over yesterday *hahahahaha*, I don't know why I can't get this document to scan properly *hahahahaha*), and none of these corporate types have any level of depth to them. About 75% of the conversation topics are about material things- the latest Iphone, the timeshare so and so bought, a new car model coming out. The other quarter of the conversations are about their kids or sports.

What's also funny is how different co-workers act around people at their level and the higher-ups. The guy who sits next to me at our audit site frequently gripes to me about our micromanaging boss and how boring the work is. Otherwise, he isn't very friendly. Quite often I will say something to him and he won't respond. Well, when the boss comes to visit us, he turns into a completely different person. He just chats up a storm with the boss about the football game last night, asks him how the home remodeling is going, invites the boss out to lunch, and pretends to be interested in the work that we are doing.

Most of my co-workers are politicians, more or less. Personally, I couldn't give a rat's ass about playing the corporate game. I have too much self-respect. I just keep my head down and concentrate my job, and if they fire me for not playing office politics so be it. I have a substantial amount of money saved up since I don't spend foolishly to impress others (like most of my co-workers do), so I could weather it just fine.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post

People are so standoffish (worse if you are working as a contractor even long term). even saying good morning to someone or any small talk is met with such defensiveness & aloofness or if look at someone the wrong way, make eye contact with the wrong person etc... Its no wonder most are on a combination of anti anxiety/ anti depressants.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:41 AM

763 posts, read 2,604,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
People are so standoffish (worse if you are working as a contractor even long term). even saying good morning to someone or any small talk is met with such defensiveness & aloofness or if look at someone the wrong way, make eye contact with the wrong person etc... Its no wonder most are on a combination of anti anxiety/ anti depressants.
Stand-offish AND rude. Say "good morning" and you're hit back with a growling "if you say so!" Rudeness and disrespect to the support staff ran rampant in my former office. Or, one of the managers would speak to one admin with a cheery "good morning!" and then walk past the next admin with a stony glare. It is enough to put one on nerve medication!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment