Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,025,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I'll never forget the mid-afternoon I went into a shopping centre while it was -4C and snowing and came out 20 minutes later to crystal clear blue skies and -13C - completely impossible in my country.
Wow, I never realized how continental in nature Germany and central Europe could be. An almost 10 degree change in 20 minutes does seem like something that would be experienced in the Canadian Prairies or American Great Plains -- I don't think I've ever experienced that kind of thing in Toronto either (if it's possible).

Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,672,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Wow, I never realized how continental in nature Germany and central Europe could be. An almost 10 degree change in 20 minutes does seem like something that would be experienced in the Canadian Prairies or American Great Plains -- I don't think I've ever experienced that kind of thing in Toronto either (if it's possible).
I think it's highly unusual even for them for the change to be so drastic. Other continental things I remember though are a high of 30C one day and 13C the next following a thundery breakdown in September, and Polish people who I've spoken to about the really cold 2006 winter (I was there for much of 2007, their warmest winter on record) said it went from 0-2C and cloudy to -25C and sunny in almost no time. Here are some reports of how cold central Europe can get:
Great Russian Freeze Spreads West - BBC News 21jan2006

EDIT - It can change 10C in a very short period of time in the UK, I've just realised - it happened less than two weeks ago during our cold spell. According to this thread I've Googled it happened in Aberdeen in 30 minutes and by the English south coast in similar time when a warm front blew the really cold air away.
Viewing a thread - Temperature Watch - Friday, December 3rd 2010 • Shoreham- 14°C Rise In 1 Hour (http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=40399&start=141 - broken link)

Last edited by ben86; 12-13-2010 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 06:34 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,734,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
I wonder why so many Canadians claim to like or would like to live in Vancouver for its climate?

I guess some (most?) are more put off by cold than the dreary rain and darkness?
Vancouver is quite overrated in my opinion. If you were to watch the Weather Network reporter based here, you'd think it was Shangri-La or something. Couldn't be further from the truth. Little to even no sun for weeks on end in winter and chilly summers by even Canadian standards. We once had a high of 12C in August this past summer with drizzle!
Definitely much better climates elsewhere in the world.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,076,826 times
Garbage weather forecasted for the next couple of days in this sub-Antarctic outpost (I'm starting to sound like Sab!). Highs about 18 C / 65 F with lots of cloud and drizel.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,354,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Well we possibly complain because of all the hype Sydney gets overseas - both from expat Aussies putting it on an unrealistically high pedestal, and uninformed journalists/writers. The sunshine amounts are (qualitatively)overstated and in the absence of hard facts, you are led to believe it is gloriously sunny most of the time.

I knew plenty of Aussies overseas that painted the picture that Sydney is always hot and sunny. When queried about the rainfall, it only happened at night apparently and in short bursts. And I am not just talking about one or two Sydneysiders here, but a sizeable number.

I could state plenty of websites that incorrectly exaggerate the sunshine totals. Here are a couple:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Sydney

"The city enjoys over 300 sunny days each year..."

Sydney Travel, Hotels & Accommodation Information (http://www.sydneytravel.com/ - broken link)

"By and large, Sydneysiders enjoy well over 300 sunny days a year."

These "300 day" statements are true if you consider > 2-3 hours of sun a "sunny day" (which kind of forgets the remaining 7-10 cloudy hours).

Don't get me wrong - IMO it has a reasonably good climate (esp by world standards), just not a fantastic climate. Most cities in the US get more sun than Sydney but they don't bang on about it to their overseas compatriots.

On a positive note, the winters have been a pleasant surprise (I do not miss wearing multiple layers and they are very mild). Also from a temperature point of view, both day and night temps, it is pretty good . I just take issue with the exaggerated claims about how sunny it is compared to the reality.

My decision to come here was based more around family than anything and generally speaking we love it here.

Lastly it makes me laugh when you complain about the lack of rain and get yourself worked up into an emoticon lather especially considering Sydney's 1,200-1,300mm or so annual rainfall is actually quite high .
That 300+ sunny days pa fact is pure bull**** as is Wikipedia. I don't care for "hype" from overseas or hearsay. All I care about is actual facts and if someone believes different then bye, bye off to hell you go :-)

As for complaining, you mean, you "Kiwis" are the ones complaining most about our lovely wet & cloudy weather. If you don't like it here - **** off to Perth or WA for that matter too. Why you would want to get walloped by days of endless and boring sunshine is well beyond my breath!

And oh yeah, we Aussie farmers, need the rain for irrigation and dams. Of course that doesn't worry you, bloody city folk, seeing our dam levels are at 66%

Old 12-14-2010, 04:39 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,263,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
That 300+ sunny days pa fact is pure bull**** as is Wikipedia. I don't care for "hype" from overseas or hearsay. All I care about is actual facts and if someone believes different then bye, bye off to hell you go :-)

As for complaining, you mean, you "Kiwis" are the ones complaining most about our lovely wet & cloudy weather. If you don't like it here - **** off to Perth or WA for that matter too. Why you would want to get walloped by days of endless and boring sunshine is well beyond my breath!

And oh yeah, we Aussie farmers, need the rain for irrigation and dams. Of course that doesn't worry you, bloody city folk, seeing our dam levels are at 66%
I see you are showing your true colours These forums are just too entertaining to take a break from!

Your one dimensional rants about "migrating" (save the colorful childish lingo) to Perth are just plain boring mate. Stick another record on before we die of boredom and lack of intelligence and originality.

And FYI, the majority of people I know are complaining about the cloud and wet (regardless of ethnic group and nationality) or has the recent sunny spell been getting to you?

Oh and seeing as you want to guilt trip me with the "farmers" angle, I think all the farmers need right now is some normality. Are you not aware the millions of dollars worth of damage the flooding has caused or are you just too blind and ignorant to acknowledge that?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,437,564 times
Well we here have High Pressure but stinking gloomy lamp-on-all-day SAD inducing anti-cyclonic gloom, but it's the typical Brit December Wx one should be used to experiencing.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:28 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,611,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
I see you are showing your true colours These forums are just too entertaining to take a break from!

Your one dimensional rants about "migrating" (save the colorful childish lingo) to Perth are just plain boring mate. Stick another record on before we die of boredom and lack of intelligence and originality.

And FYI, the majority of people I know are complaining about the cloud and wet (regardless of ethnic group and nationality) or has the recent sunny spell been getting to you?

Oh and seeing as you want to guilt trip me with the "farmers" angle, I think all the farmers need right now is some normality. Are you not aware the millions of dollars worth of damage the flooding has caused or are you just too blind and ignorant to acknowledge that?
I think it's just "projection" - probably work stress on his part.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:36 PM

650 posts, read 1,329,481 times
Why has January invaded December, sheesh your turn will come.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:24 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,076,826 times
I just spent $115 (86 USD) filling my car up with petrol.

Apparently the European cold snap is to blame due to increased demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.