Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2010, 05:21 PM

14,332 posts, read 14,637,260 times

Advertisements

I think that is my point, there is complaining, ranting, but carrying on and on about relatively mild weather is crazy. Living by water, all bets are off and you've got to deal with mist, fog, drizzle, overcast, damp temps no getting around it.

There are times the fog horn gets on my nerves but I moved here! I'm just blocks from the lake, Coast Guard Station, glad I didn't take the first house I saw, it is really loud over there!

Old 12-23-2010, 03:02 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,427,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I think that is my point, there is complaining, ranting, but carrying on and on about relatively mild weather is crazy. Living by water, all bets are off and you've got to deal with mist, fog, drizzle, overcast, damp temps no getting around it.
Certainly true for someone living in Melbourne!

However, over here where the temperature has been 6°C BELOW average this month with continuous frost/snow problems the country isn't used to dealing with, it truly is a different matter. This winter is so far the coldest since at lest 1963 so that puts that in perspective nicely!

Coping with this persistently freezing weather here though makes me annoyed these days when people are complaining about "cool summer weather" in Melbourne because they obviously need to spend a summer in Buxton or Scotland to know what "cool summer weather" is!! I used to find it funny but then thought hang on I'm dealing with -9 to -11°C temps and ice over here and there are people whinging about 20°C bein cold in some places, y'know get a life.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyjo View Post
This has got to be the biggest double standard hunk of crap I've ever seen, much less from you, RichardW. We have had CONSTANT TEMPS DAY AND NIGHT AT 6C BELOW AVERAGE FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS NOW.....our temps are barely better than a summer in Buxton and COLDER THAN LONDON'S SUMMER AVERAGES DAY AND NIGHT FOR WEEKS NOW

You know what, right now I AM "SPENDING A SUMMER IN BUXTON OR SCOTLAND" because temps are literally that cold, here in AUSTRALIA IN MID FRIGGIN SUMMER

Oh and Buxton et al is in MID WINTER AT 52-53° latitude, so yeah S.T.F.U. I am in AuSTRALIA at 38 deg latitude in MID SUMMER and am getting temps COLDER THAN THE CORRESPONDING DAY/NIGHT AVERAGES IN LONDON at freakin 52° lat on a MARITIME ISLAND FOR CHRIST SAKE

The 10/20C CRAP we are getting here now is 6C below average, the same amount you are complaining about, and you, of all people are attacking me for it. Not to mention you sook about 20C summer temps on your subarctic island more than anyone. I live in a tropical country, with a hot desert much closer to the equator and am getting Buxton's average summers. I HAVE A RIGHT TO COMPLAIN. Killer double standards there RichardW, so S.T.F.U
Wow calm down and stop shouting, and you might get some respect some day. I also don't recall the last time Buxton was 31°C as has happened in Melbourne already this December.

[Mod Cut]

Tell yer what Mr Sab Rage (lol) come back and write something to me when you get a daytime Max of 11°C in your oh-so dreadful summer (as we did, and is way more than 6 degrees below average), or you get 81 hours of recorded sunshine one summer month, or heck, it evens snows in your December (as it has in Buxton's June). Til that happens, you "S.T.F.U".

Nah I'm happy when it reaches 20°C here, as it only happens about 10 days per year (!) so I make the most of it!

We've had sheet ice, black ice, foot and a half of snow, and while I have found it inconvenient at times have I ever posted childish swear word laden rants about how much it sucks etc, no I just get the hell on with it, and not missed a single day of work, got forbid if you had to deal with this, a flake of snow and you'd find any excuse to get pissed and continue to treat others like a piece of sh.... more so than usual.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 12-25-2010 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: Personal attack. Don't let it happen again.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyjo View Post
TEMPS DAY AND NIGHT AT 6C BELOW AVERAGE FOR A COUPLE OF WEEKS NOW.....our temps are barely better than a summer in Buxton and COLDER THAN LONDON'S SUMMER AVERAGES DAY AND NIGHT FOR WEEKS NOW
OK.

Let's not let some statistics get in the way of your baby-tirades, but here they are:

Melbourne's average Max December 2010 to the 23rd: 24.4°C. This is in fact bang on average.

Melbourne, Vic - Daily Weather Observations

Buxton's average Max December 2010 to the 23rd: -0.1°C. This is, oh, uhhh hang on a minute, 6°C below average, and the coldest since December 1890.

Also, London's average maximum temperature for June (as per the met office) = 20.2°C, over FOUR DEGREES lower than Melbourne's current avg. max for December 2010. DID YOU FAIL MATH CLASS? Big time, by the looks of things.

Let me tell you something: law of averages dictates that roughly half the time, the temperature IS going to be "below average". Deal with it. Here, it's been below average every bloody day the last month and a half, but so what?

Also the way you blow hot and cold with people who don't live up to your expectations of behaviour, and the incessant rants when the weather goes how you don't think it should shows how irrational you are.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 12-24-2010 at 11:20 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 01:58 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,606,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
OK.

Let's not let some statistics get in the way of your baby-tirades, but here they are:

Melbourne's average Max December 2010 to the 23rd: 24.4°C. This is in fact bang on average.

Melbourne, Vic - Daily Weather Observations

Buxton's average Max December 2010 to the 23rd: -0.1°C. This is, oh, uhhh hang on a minute, 6°C below average, and the coldest since December 1890.

Also, London's average maximum temperature for June (as per the met office) = 20.2°C, over FOUR DEGREES lower than Melbourne's current avg. max for December 2010. DID YOU FAIL MATH CLASS? Big time, by the looks of things.

Let me tell you something: law of averages dictates that roughly half the time, the temperature IS going to be "below average". Deal with it. Here, it's been below average every bloody day the last month and a half, but so what?

Also the way you blow hot and cold with people who don't live up to your expectations of behaviour, and the incessant rants when the weather goes how you don't think it should shows how irrational you are.
Yes, you have to think he failed mathematics somewhere along the line..

We have had a cloudy humid month and have more reason to complain than he does - because the sunshine has been far short of average, a big comedown on November. But I realise of course that in global terms that means very little in terms of disappointing or unpleasant weather, so I don't bother going on about it.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:12 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,072,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Nah I'm happy when it reaches 20°C here, as it only happens about 10 days per year (!) so I make the most of it!
Wow, I didn't realise it was that bad! By contrast, Melbourne averages 32 days per year above 30 C.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:57 AM

571 posts, read 1,050,561 times
Not happy that it is snowing in NW NC... and I will be traveling for a holiday celebration. Luckily, I will not be on the road for an extended period... icy roads are horrible...

Old 12-25-2010, 08:22 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,072,881 times
Today's high was a pathetic 21 C / 70 F -- 5 C below what was forecasted.

Old 12-25-2010, 08:31 PM

14,332 posts, read 14,637,260 times
They are already talking about the next storm front coming in by the end of the week, warmer temps, rain, sleet, the dreaded "frizzle", this far out maybe it won't happen! If I have a choice, I'll take snow over sleet and ice!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:22 PM

102 posts, read 146,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Today's high was a pathetic 21 C / 70 F -- 5 C below what was forecasted.
looking at the temps and satpic for Vic, same deal in Melbourne....

Here it's clear and 29C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather