Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2010, 12:05 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,621,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourweterlies View Post
when talking about "rarity" Rupert, Chester was likely referring to how infrequently his city reaches 80F, rather than implying that it's an unusual occurance. Even my 4 day old puppy could figure that out.
Just read the other responses made on this point. Dictionary definitions don't change just because someone wants to make a complaint sound more impressive.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Very impressive. Christchurch's location, meaning in the lee of the Alps, certainly is very ideal for such temperatures especially in NW airflows. When I last visited, one day reached 31oC in a NW airflow. I wonder how many times the 35oC (and 40oC too) mark has been exceeded?
Quite a number of times for 35C, but the 40C readings are restricted to 7/2/1973, when of reliable measuring stations, about 6 of them managed that.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:24 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,357,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Quite a number of times for 35C, but the 40C readings are restricted to 7/2/1973, when of reliable measuring stations, about 6 of them managed that.
Christchurch and Sydney share a lot of similarities when it comes to NW airflows. That 73 date you're speaking of is when Sydney (Observatory Hill) had it's hottest night on record (26.6oC) on the 6th.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Christchurch and Sydney share a lot of similarities when it comes to NW airflows. That 73 date you're speaking of is when Sydney (Observatory Hill) had it's hottest night on record (26.6oC) on the 6th.
Helps to underline the linkage in this event...actually the direction on the Plains that day was more WNW, not a classic NWer with arch clouds around and significant West Coast rain. The summary of the time says the first 10 days of the month were westerly, with a couple of weak troughs crossing the South Island, with heavy rain at times in Fiordland and South Westland.

With low soil moisture levels after a warm january and very dry conditions over a large area there was also a good buildup factor present - and the preceding weekend (4th, 5th) temperatures in Ch'ch were over the 33C mark despite seabreezes.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:34 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,387,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Okay, I can see how that would be annoying if you want uninterrupted 90+ F weather for weeks on end.

I guess Melbourne is in a similar situation as the Bay Area of California (Oakland is a close match). There is hot desert to the north and a relatively cold ocean to the south, so you can get abrupt day-to-day changes in temperature depending on the wind direction.

80+ F temps are such a rarity in my city that you really appreciate it when it does occur and everyone immediately drops everything and heads to the beach. You can certainly never plan on having warm weather here even in the height of summer

I think we all lean much on this site…but perhaps the most about of respective hemispheres in terms of what one considers hot or cold. As I’ve mentioned a few times, I really think it is all relative when it comes to much about sensible weather.

Your right, much of coastal California is a lot like Melbourne (NSW) in that an 80 F (26 C) day is a bit of a rarity. A 70 – 75 F day in much on the California coast of the USA is when most folks would consider it a “perfect beach day”….on the other hand, folks on the Gulf and Atlantic states south of NYC, think 80 - 82 F (26 -28 C) is really acceptable beach weather. Even SST (sea surface temps) are often an issue of relatively and acclimation. I grew up on the beaches of the East Coast from Miami to Long Island…we think any surf temp under 78 F is cold…and 80 F is when you hit the comfort zone in ocean water. I was shocked upon my first visit to the California coast when I saw folks run into 65 F surf. I could only get my feet into the Pacific after many attempts (lol).

I think humans underestimate how much they become acclimatized to their environment.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:55 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,082,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I think we all lean much on this site…but perhaps the most about of respective hemispheres in terms of what one considers hot or cold. As I’ve mentioned a few times, I really think it is all relative when it comes to much about sensible weather.

Your right, much of coastal California is a lot like Melbourne (NSW) in that an 80 F (26 C) day is a bit of a rarity. A 70 – 75 F day in much on the California coast of the USA is when most folks would consider it a “perfect beach day”….on the other hand, folks on the Gulf and Atlantic states south of NYC, think 80 - 82 F (26 -28 C) is really acceptable beach weather. Even SST (sea surface temps) are often an issue of relatively and acclimation. I grew up on the beaches of the East Coast from Miami to Long Island…we think any surf temp under 78 F is cold…and 80 F is when you hit the comfort zone in ocean water. I was shocked upon my first visit to the California coast when I saw folks run into 65 F surf. I could only get my feet into the Pacific after many attempts (lol).

I think humans underestimate how much they become acclimatized to their environment.
I wouldn't say 80 F is rare in Melbourne, but it is somewhat uncommon almost anywhere in New Zealand.

I swam in 56 F water for four hours today and it felt warm to me. Of course, it helped that it was sunny and 77 F.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:22 AM

813 posts, read 952,589 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say 80 F is rare in Melbourne, but it is somewhat uncommon almost anywhere in New Zealand.

I swam in 56 F water for four hours today and it felt warm to me. Of course, it helped that it was sunny and 77 F.
The past 12 months we have had around 75 days with a temp over 80 F so yes it is not that rare.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:26 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,264,499 times
Quote:

56 F water? That's freezing! And it would feel even colder with the mild air temperature.

I think I've swum in water in the 50s, maybe 60s, in Northern Maine before. Surprised I was able to handle that. I find 70 F water almost too cool for swimming.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:46 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,687,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
56 F water? That's freezing! And it would feel even colder with the mild air temperature.

I think I've swum in water in the 50s, maybe 60s, in Northern Maine before. Surprised I was able to handle that. I find 70 F water almost too cool for swimming.
I guess you won't be signing up for this then with sea temperatures in the low 40s?
Boxing Day Swim Aberdeen

Old 11-27-2010, 10:19 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,264,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
I guess you won't be signing up for this then with sea temperatures in the low 40s?
Boxing Day Swim Aberdeen
Sounds similar to the polar bear swim (in Minnesota?).

I would consider doing it just so I could say I did. Good way to see how hardy one is. Or how stupid they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather