Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 05:42 AM

777 posts, read 1,066,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post

I know sea breezes exist. I've lived most of my life within a few hundred metres of the beach, or within sight of the sea. What I'm saying is that a 10C drop in 30 minutes does not sound like a typical sea breeze, but something else like a sea breeze/cold front.
dude, I'm not quite sure why you find it impossible to believe that seabreezes can drop temps by 10C or more. When the air temp reaches 30-35C by the early afternoon, and a seabreeze gets established right off an 18C body of water, the temp will drop and it will drop big time.

LOOK at Sydney's obs on a hot day in spring, it can be 35C in the western suburbs (i.e Penrith, Bankstown), yet only 20-21C at the coastal stations (Bondi, Bellambi, Norah Head etc).

A 10C drop in 30-60 minutes when a seabreeze fires up on a hot day is routine here in SE Australia, just ask anyone from Sydney to Adelaide.

Only reasoning I can find for your stubborn stance on the issue is that you live in a cold climate, where temps are maybe 20-25C in summer so a seabreeze there obviously wont drop the temp as much for no other reason than simply because it is not high to begin with.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:46 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,832,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
If it's a wind off the sea then It is obviously a sea breeze. The temperatures do rise during the sea breeze but only slightly and once the breeze reaches a certain speed the temperature starts to drop.

The large drops are definately resposible to sea breezes not a cold front. If you do not believe me ask other members.
A sea breeze is a specific weather event, not just any wind off the sea. You might want to research that one.

The large temp drops that you mentioned will likely not be from a sea breeze alone. I think it is likely that the warmer temps inland have been held back from creating a decent up draught and when convection finally has occurred, there is a greater land/sea differential to create the strong winds and big temp drop you mention. Not a typical situation though.

Your summer stats of an average 19C air maximum, combined with a 13 C sea temperature, just don't indicate the conditions for a 10C drop in 30 minutes, in a normal sea breeze.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post
dude, I'm not quite sure why you find it impossible to believe that seabreezes can drop temps by 10C or more. When the air temp reaches 30-35C by the early afternoon, and a seabreeze gets established right off an 18C body of water, the temp will drop and it will drop big time.

LOOK at Sydney's obs on a hot day in spring, it can be 35C in the western suburbs (i.e Penrith, Bankstown), yet only 20-21C at the coastal stations (Bondi, Bellambi, Norah Head etc).

A 10C drop in 30-60 minutes when a seabreeze fires up on a hot day is routine here in SE Australia, just ask anyone from Sydney to Adelaide.

Only reasoning I can find for your stubborn stance on the issue is that you live in a cold climate, where temps are maybe 20-25C in summer so a seabreeze there obviously wont drop the temp as much for no other reason than simply because it is not high to begin with.
That last paragraph is exactly what I'm talking about. How would Northern Ireland get the conditions for such big drops, when it's even colder than here?

Also I don't think your description sounds like typical sea breeze conditions. I've spent a good amount of time on the coast between Nowra and Tathra during summers. I wouldn't say 10C drops were routine. A far more typical scenario was the sea breeze increasing during the day, until the point that cloud would build up, reducing the temp and the breeze.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:17 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,958,508 times
Well I completely disagree. This arguement is going nowhere so I am going to leave.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxyman View Post

Exactly. I don't know whats so hard about that concept.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Exactly. I don't know whats so hard about that concept.
Because your part of the world wouldn't get the large land/sea temp differential- it's similar to here in that regard. The only way it could get it, is if the sea breeze is stalled or blocked. If that's what happens, I can understand that. However, you seem to indicate that it doesn't happen that way, and yet still get these large drops more typical of hotter climates.

You need to educate yourself about sea breezes. Here is a starter for you - if it's -15C on land, and 5C on the sea - you won't get a sea breeze.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,694,846 times
Quote:
I don't think you are talking about a sea breeze, so much as just wind off the sea. They are two different things. The accounts described in other posts concerning UK sea breezes, don't sound like garden variety sea breezes. A 10C drop in 30 minutes doesn't sound like just a sea breeze- perhaps a sea breeze ahead of a cold front?.

The sea can raise air temps in summer. Here in summertime, the average air minimum is about 6C colder than the sea temperature. Any wind from the NE to the NW later in the night or early morning will blow warmer air onshore. the effect on temps is usually only in the order of 1-2 degrees, but is a very pleasant effect.

Likewise in winter when the sea temp is 12-13C warmer than the average air minimums, a land breeze will sometimes form during the night, and draw colder from inland, lowering temps.
You could have saved yourself the trouble and just explain the difference between a sea breeze and a wind off the sea, rather than saying the two are not the same, which is not helpful.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 11-11-2012 at 07:01 AM..

Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 AM

Aren't they the same?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Because your part of the world wouldn't get the large land/sea temp differential- it's similar to here in that regard. The only way it could get it, is if the sea breeze is stalled or blocked. If that's what happens, I can understand that. However, you seem to indicate that it doesn't happen that way, and yet still get these large drops more typical of hotter climates.

You need to educate yourself about sea breezes. Here is a starter for you - if it's -15C on land, and 5C on the sea - you won't get a sea breeze.
Whatever the name of the breeze it is cooling the land down because of the sea.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:23 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,694,846 times
Could a sea breeze be a breeze that is restricted to the coast, with a different wind source inland, and a wind from the sea being one where the wind direction is the same everywhere? I have no idea, Joe needs to explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather