Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 06:04 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,862,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
These are starting to appear all over Leeds..

I think it's a brilliant idea.
Yup! But it's yesterday's news as well.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:18 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,634,167 times
There are already things like that.. but they decided to put these ones on car parking spaces with a pretend car at the front. Take that, obnoxious motorists.

But, the cycle infrastructure is generally crap, so other things need improving first. The cycle lanes on my route to work are narrow and poorly marked, and in many areas you have to share with buses, which is stupid - cyclists and bus drivers are mortal enemies. They're making an effort though, with many new cycle lanes underway and planned for the future.

Only 1% of commuters cycle to work, so there is a loooong way to go before we're a cycling city. Amsterdam we ain't.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:24 AM

13,503 posts, read 9,057,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I suspect the other difference is that a British hasn't built up to it. Exposed only to weak sun and then vacationing in direct strong sun (not just stronger sun, but outside more). Tanning slowing builds up your skins resistance to burning.
Yeah but in the summer some people will burn in the UK too, I think it is more to do with less 'sun sense' rather than the UK just having weaker sun...

Lots of people in Australia actively wear high sunblock & so despite living in a warmer & sunnier climate, can still have pale skin as there is more awareness, in the UK people think they wont get burnt because they are in the UK & then do... It isn't drummed into people enough how damaging UV rays can be...

Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,915,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
These are starting to appear all over Leeds..

I think it's a brilliant idea.
wtfs that

Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,699,552 times
With me, I got badly burned when I went to Portugal, and the reason was simply lack of education, not because I was fairly white. I just assumed at a lowly 37° latitude I could hang out ALL DAY with no sun screen outside in the sun because the weather was warm enough that I could, and I could just get away with it. I didn't think of putting sunscreen on, because it wasn't something I would think about using at home in the UK - where I did not go around topless because I wasn't on holiday. It was complete ignorance, and I paid the price with itchy painful peeling skin. It would have happened to anybody outside topless in those conditions for that length of time, inc. "tan" people.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:06 AM

A few times in Spain i've got away with no suncream.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:11 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,683,601 times
Beautiful day today, high of 27C and not a cloud in the sky.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:15 AM

6,908 posts, read 7,683,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoMan View Post
With me, I got badly burned when I went to Portugal, and the reason was simply lack of education, not because I was fairly white. I just assumed at a lowly 37° latitude I could hang out ALL DAY with no sun screen outside in the sun because the weather was warm enough that I could, and I could just get away with it. I didn't think of putting sunscreen on, because it wasn't something I would think about using at home in the UK - where I did not go around topless because I wasn't on holiday. It was complete ignorance, and I paid the price with itchy painful peeling skin. It would have happened to anybody outside topless in those conditions for that length of time, inc. "tan" people.
Doubt it, when I was in San Diego(32N) in July for a week I was out all day without sunscreen and I didn't burn. Had I had my January skin tone, yes I would have burned.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,606,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Lots of people in Australia actively wear high sunblock & so despite living in a warmer & sunnier climate, can still have pale skin as there is more awareness, in the UK people think they wont get burnt because they are in the UK & then do... It isn't drummed into people enough how damaging UV rays can be...
My mom got sunburned in the UK in May. Sun angle isn't that low there in May, with pale skin with little prior sun exposure and out in direct sun she burned. She didn't think to put on sunscreen cause it's England.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:44 AM

I will have to put it on in Florida at 28n which is really annoying!! I hate it!!

Grrrr

Any solutions??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather