Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2014, 07:30 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,690,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Tacitus wasn't really that neutral anyway. What Tacitus said about the 'Fenni' most likely didn't even refer to Finns, but to some other people, probably living in Belarus. I suspect too little knowledge and too much wine.

Maybe for a Moroccan it rained heavily in Finland, but he cuts some corners here as well. Some historians argue that there wasn't any 'real' cities in Finland at that point (as in Germanic style cities), and if there was, they weren't very grand. Nobody even knows what city that Qalamark refers to, but apparently it was here nearby.
Where does "Tabastian" refer to in that Arab quote? It's curious too the way he uses "Finmark", presumably not meaning the region in northern Norway but just modern-day Finland. I imagine there's a historical reason why the Norwegian region is prefixed "Finn-"?

Old 03-29-2014, 07:38 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,834,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I thought you were manly.

Do you not have kids
WOW!!!

You really need to think before typing owen.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:31 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,893,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Where does "Tabastian" refer to in that Arab quote? It's curious too the way he uses "Finmark", presumably not meaning the region in northern Norway but just modern-day Finland. I imagine there's a historical reason why the Norwegian region is prefixed "Finn-"?
Tabastia refers to the historical province Tavastia, and Finmark to the Finland Proper province. The name "Finland" meaning the whole country was coined only later in the Medieval times. Before that "Finland" meant just my current province. The Helsinki region didn't even have a name, but was a part of Tavastia before the Vikings arrived and started to call it "the New Land".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tavast...al_province%29
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finlan...al_province%29

The Norwegian Finnmark refers indeed to Finnish-speaking people moving there in the 16th century.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:33 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,005,323 times
Quote:
Your gay!!
Seems like you're the only one on here who didn't know that? There are a few others as well who you interact with on a daily basis here, but I won't mention any names unless they want

Quote:
I thought you were manly.

Do you not have kids
Wtf? Can you not be more tact?

Quote:
No its really not.

Quote:
You have to understand we don't have many gay people here.

And tbh any gay person i've ever seen has acted like a girl.
There are gay people everywhere, Owen. I bet you there's at least one gay in your town, but they aren't feminine and out in the open about it so you wouldn't know . Family friend and business partner of my sister and brother-in-law's is gay and he isn't campy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
WOW!!!

You really need to think before typing owen.
Thinking and Owen are antonyms. They don't go together.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:06 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,936,219 times
Eating a cream egg biscuit!

Old 03-29-2014, 07:27 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,484,824 times
The Florida Gators are back in the Final Four

Old 03-31-2014, 07:09 AM

242 posts, read 263,465 times
Love my local "USA Foods" supermarket

Old 03-31-2014, 07:12 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,005,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Kitchen View Post
Love my local "USA Foods" supermarket
Let me guess; full of disgusting candy, hotdogs, and sodas?

Old 03-31-2014, 07:49 AM

242 posts, read 263,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Let me guess; full of disgusting candy, hotdogs, and sodas?
Yes it's full of candy and sodas, but it also has the best selection of Chilli sauces, dry rubs, spices, salsas, chips, dips etc I've ever seen, and the list goes on. I'm amazed that the world's hottest chilli sauces and rubs are just on the shelf there, ready for anyone to take. I bought a bottle of Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce and Blair's Mega Death sauce from there. One drop gave my brother a panic attack.

I'm getting into BBQ as a hobby, and this place is becoming my own personal Mecca. And it's right here in Melbourne

Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,591,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Kitchen View Post
Yes it's full of candy and sodas, but it also has the best selection of Chilli sauces, dry rubs, spices, salsas, chips, dips etc I've ever seen, and the list goes on. I'm amazed that the world's hottest chilli sauces and rubs are just on the shelf there, ready for anyone to take. I bought a bottle of Dave's Ghost Pepper sauce and Blair's Mega Death sauce from there. One drop gave my brother a panic attack.

I'm getting into BBQ as a hobby, and this place is becoming my own personal Mecca. And it's right here in Melbourne
DO WANT

France is incredibly lacklustre when it comes to chili sauces. Tabasco is what people consider hot here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather