Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 05:48 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,955,051 times

Advertisements

You are more of an immigrant than me so that is a bit hypocritical of you to say that you have an American accent then isn't it...

And to be honest you might not agree which is fine. But really I do not consider people from Guam or Puerto Rico or any of those places to be American. They are thousands of miles away from the continent (especially Guam). You do not just become American just because you are a territory. After all they were taken by America.

And I would bet most Americans would agree with me.
And really I could win the green card lottery and get a american passport and like "oh i'm american" but I would not ever do that because i'm Northern Irish I was born on a different landmass and juristication. I'm not American.

Last edited by Mac15; 04-03-2014 at 06:02 AM..

Old 04-03-2014, 06:01 AM

25,021 posts, read 28,026,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
You are more of an immigrant than me so that is a bit hypocritical of you to say that you have an American accent then isn't it...

And to be honest you might not agree which is fine. But really I do not consider people from Guam or Puerto Rico or any of those places to be American. They are thousands of miles away from the continent (especially Guam). You do not just become American just because you are a territory. After all they were taken by America.

Not true. You weren't born here, you weren't raised here, you have no family roots here. My German grandmother was more American than you'll ever be anyway, especially considering that most Americans are of majority German ancestry. You are a foreigner.

The only people that agree with you here are white nationalists, who believe they are the "Real Americans". And, to be honest, your opinion doesn't matter because you're a foreigner. You won't get any special privileges for emigrating here, you don't get sent to the front of the line, etc. It's funny you say things like this when Spanish-Americans were considered full Americans here, and the Irish were treated like black people until the early 1900s So, your "fellow" Americans hated your guts for most of US history. In the meantime, us Spanish-Americans occupied positions in the White House, owned plantations and businesses, while your countrymen toiled in the coal mines and the New York City ghettos along with freed men. So, if you wanna go there, then let's go.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:02 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,955,051 times
You weren't born there either love.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
You weren't born there either love.
Yes I was. My passport says so. If I'm not American, then you're not British. Oh, and your Queen is German and your next King is of Greek extraction. I rest my case

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 04-03-2014 at 06:18 AM..

Old 04-03-2014, 06:23 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,923,198 times
Quote:
I was looking yesterday on Walmart to see if they had the food we had here for our holiday and they had it all. Its really quite funny as we would have more of our food in america than in Spain. In Spain the food in the supermarkets is just toally foreign.... And i'm not talking about sweets and stuff they even have the same yoghurts.
Yes but you're not in Europe. We have Filipinos like in Spain or Mutti mashed tomatos like in Italy, but the only English stuff that can be found is Bassett's Wine Gums. And Guinness beer.

edit: what's the number 1 online grocery store in the UK? I can swear that I can't recognize more than an handful of international brands that are everywhere.

Last edited by Ariete; 04-03-2014 at 06:32 AM..

Old 04-03-2014, 06:47 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,269,545 times
Quote:

And really I could win the green card lottery and get a american passport and like "oh i'm american" but I would not ever do that because i'm Northern Irish I was born on a different landmass and juristication. I'm not American.
I am legally an American, but a person of Indian origin.

So, how is it wrongful to call myself an American, when documentation supports it. If you won the "green card lottery", then you too would be an American of Irish origin. Lots of people here claim themselves as Americans in this manner.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I am legally an American, but a person of Indian origin.

So, how is it wrongful to call myself an American, when documentation supports it. If you won the "green card lottery", then you too would be an American of Irish origin. Lots of people here claim themselves as Americans in this manner.
Because he believes Real Americans can only be of British and Irish origin. All other whites are just plain American, and all black and colored people are immigrants .

Old 04-03-2014, 06:57 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,269,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Because he believes Real Americans can only be of British and Irish origin. All other whites are just plain American, and all black and colored people are immigrants . I'm sure he's very jealous of the fact that you and I are both American, you being from India, and me being from a non-English speaking territory. He also believes that because he is Irish and Scottish, born and raised in the UK, that he should be able to just cross the border here and live here without restrictions
He has too much entitlement marinated all over. Time to grill him now in the face of reality.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:03 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,839,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes but you're not in Europe. We have Filipinos like in Spain or Mutti mashed tomatos like in Italy, but the only English stuff that can be found is Bassett's Wine Gums. And Guinness beer.

edit: what's the number 1 online grocery store in the UK? I can swear that I can't recognize more than an handful of international brands that are everywhere.
Tesco is the main supermarket here.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:19 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,923,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Tesco is the main supermarket here.
Oh, right. Naturally.

Cheese: 10000000000000000000 brands of cheddar. And something called white cheese. What the hell is that?
Youghurt: Recognized one brand, Danone Activia.
Dips: only Tesco brands.

Do you really sell spiced ready-to-go meatballs? Jeez, you are decades ahead of us.
"Tesco Swedish Style Beef Meatballs 350G". You can't find those even in Sweden.

Ok, Heinz baked beans. Check.

Frozen desserts. This might be interesting. "Tesco Millionaire's Cheesecake 450G"??? WTF is that? Stop the madness!

And Lavazza espresso beans. Recognize that.

What a culture shock. If I would do shopping in the UK it would take me 4 hours just to figure out what this thing is.

"I've selected sausages made using British Pork and added them to my Yorkshire Pudding batter to create my delicious Toad in the Hole. It's the perfect solution for a tasty meal any day of the week"

Didn't understand a word.

The ready-to-go meals seems vastly superior compared to ours. Not maybe very valuable in a nutritional way, but I rather eat those than our crap.

Last edited by Ariete; 04-03-2014 at 07:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather