Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 08:48 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,616,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Helsinki Airport is 18 km from the city center, and even if it's close enough, the bus takes 40 minutes and is a bit inconvenient. The rail link will be up in 2015 so it will cut 10 minutes of traveling time.
Boston only has a bus link, though for part of its journey it travels on its own route, segregated from traffic in a tunnel. I actually like it better than most rail connections, but the only reasons it works out is the distance is so short. NYC's JFK only a rail link that drops you off at a train station 18 km from the city center with maybe a 35-40 minute train ride to the city center. I actually don't think it's a problem as not everyone is going to Midtown Manhattan, so it gives you a bunch of options in different directions, including east to the suburbs in Long Island and Brooklyn. The Heathrow Express sounds overpriced and only useful if your destination is around Paddington Station.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:58 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,241,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Boston only has a bus link, though for part of its journey it travels on its own route, segregated from traffic in a tunnel. I actually like it better than most rail connections, but the only reasons it works out is the distance is so short. NYC's JFK only a rail link that drops you off at a train station 18 km from the city center with maybe a 35-40 minute train ride to the city center. I actually don't think it's a problem as not everyone is going to Midtown Manhattan, so it gives you a bunch of options in different directions, including east to the suburbs in Long Island and Brooklyn. The Heathrow Express sounds overpriced and only useful if your destination is around Paddington Station.
In Chennai, you have to rely on taxi from the airport because public transit quality stinks at current. Road travel used to be just as bad, but recently, a connector highway to NH 45 has been designed which has cut down my 45 km ride home to just 30 minutes. However, once construction of the HSERC (High speed Elevated Rail Corridor) by southern Railways is finished in 2018, things will be far better than things are right now. We are getting brand new train sets from Alstom in Germany, and these trains will be operated at speeds of 130 kmph. That means a ride to the city center will be just 25 minutes. Yay for Chennai developing its infrastructure .

Newly Rebuilt NH 45 (Km Post 161) linking Chennai airport to the rest of Tamil Nadu:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iRzl7MP7E4...lurbypass1.jpg

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 02-25-2014 at 09:16 AM..

Old 02-25-2014, 09:03 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,867,789 times
Quote:
NYC's JFK only a rail link that drops you off at a train station 18 km from the city center with maybe a 35-40 minute train ride to the city center. I actually don't think it's a problem as not everyone is going to Midtown Manhattan, so it gives you a bunch of options in different directions, including east to the suburbs in Long Island and Brooklyn. The Heathrow Express sounds overpriced and only useful if your destination is around Paddington Station.
Yeah, that sounds a bit tricky. The Helsinki solution will be similar to Amsterdam Schiphol, where the train station is underground under the airport, so you don't even need to go out and wait in the wind and sleet. Then the train brings you straight to the downtown, like in Amsterdam, and don't have to use any other connections. And it links to all domestic train stations as well, like to Turku and Tampere.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,241,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The Helsinki solution will be similar to Amsterdam Schiphol, where the train station is underground under the airport, so you don't even need to go out and wait in the wind and sleet. Then the train brings you straight to the downtown, like in Amsterdam, and don't have to use any other connections. And it links to all domestic train stations as well, like to Turku and Tampere.
That sounds like Kuala Lumpur international, and similar to the HSERC under construction in Chennai. In a few years, foreign passengers dont have to cope with heat & Humidity and are directly linked to Chennai Central railway station. The airport train station will be connected to terminal buildings via an air conditioned Travellator.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:58 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,919,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
With a £20 booking fee on top, £10 admin fee, £30 for a suitcase, £15 for a sandwich, £5 for a cup of tea, £1 to use the loo etc..

We were stranded in Malta when the Iceland volcano erupted & had flown here with Ryanair. They were no help AT ALL, infact the Ryanair boss on Sky News actually said about their stranded passengers that it was "tough"... We had to queue at Luqa airport for 6 hours to be told by the ONE Ryanair member of staff at the desk that the earliest flight they could book us on was in 10 days, the Easyjet queue next to us was moving swiftly & putting their customers up in hotels & all other airlines were adhering to their legal obligations & putting up passengers in hotels too, but Ryanair refused so we had to make our own arrangements & it took us months to get any form of compensation or refunds for the extra we had to shell out! A horrid, vile company, run by a smug, nasty little man
Stranded in Malta because of an Iceland volcano.

ok....

They do not provide much compensation but I would not fly them international or to Europe just to England because I know I can easily get out of there easily.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
San Jose's airport is similar and close enough it restricts skyscrapers from being built.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mine...5!2d37.3393857

shows 6.5 km, but in air rather than driving distance is probably 5 km. Boston's airport is about 6 km, but separated by water from the city center:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bost...61!2d42.369543

New York City has two airports within the city limits, but that doesn't mean they're close to the city center. About 29 km of driving

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Unio...d40.643772!3e0
Yes NYC is good.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:12 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Stranded in Malta because of an Iceland volcano.

ok....

They do not provide much compensation but I would not fly them international or to Europe just to England because I know I can easily get out of there easily.
I was stranded in Tenerife for a week because of the same volcano!

Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 AM

Hopefully i'll be stranded in America.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,829,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Hopefully i'll be stranded in America.
You're going for 5 weeks aren't you? Lucky you! I'm not sure if I'm going away this year yet, depends on the move and new job etc.
I'm just happy to be moving back to a beautiful city

Old 02-25-2014, 10:20 AM

Yes I am but we haven't booked a villa yet.

Its gonna take ages to we get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather