Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Area Will Get The Most Snow From This Storm?
1 2 6.90%
2 16 55.17%
3 5 17.24%
4 3 10.34%
5 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 05:35 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,683,474 times

Advertisements

As of this morning's forecast, freezing rain doesn't begin until Friday night and less snow on Saturday (now showing about 4"). I'm in Newton Co. AR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2018, 06:29 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,157,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Meteorologists are starting to produce their forecast snow total maps.

Here is Henry's (retired from Accuweather)

I like that map. I'd drop the 8-12 range a little further south and bring the 0-4 totals much further north. I think the gradient is going to be very sharp. I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews, NC gets no snow and misses school for a week because Davidson, NC gets a foot (both are in Charlotte-Meck school system and if one school closes, all schools close)

Old 12-06-2018, 07:21 AM

83,702 posts, read 76,119,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
As of this morning's forecast, freezing rain doesn't begin until Friday night and less snow on Saturday (now showing about 4"). I'm in Newton Co. AR.

I always forget about the Ice aspect of a storm especially for the south. It's the worst precip type to get. Hope it's not more than 1/2". That's when problems start with powerlines and tree limbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I like that map. I'd drop the 8-12 range a little further south and bring the 0-4 totals much further north. I think the gradient is going to be very sharp. I wouldn't be surprised if Matthews, NC gets no snow and misses school for a week because Davidson, NC gets a foot (both are in Charlotte-Meck school system and if one school closes, all schools close)
Philly will be saying.. "What storm?".
DC will be saying... "Phew, just missed"
I'll be saying... "I cannot believe its missing me to the south by 400 miles in early December!"

I would of been happy with 1-3" from this. lol

Old 12-06-2018, 08:31 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,157,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
and bring the 0-4 totals much further north.
I don't think I was clear here. I think the 0-4 inch totals need to be brought north on the south side of the storm. The models show a 75 mile transition from a foot to zero but I think its going to be less than 30 miles.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:46 AM

83,702 posts, read 76,119,798 times
NAM12z now in range for NC. Showing a sleet storm there. Not sure why. 850mb and surface are low 30s.

The thin lines are the surface pressure. I used arrows to show the winds at the surface.

Winds are from the North over the Gulf & Mississppi where if moisture is around, they may see snowflakes.

but more importantly, see that little kink pointing southwest over the Blue Ridge and North Carolina? That's CAD. Cold air is pushing in from the Northeast. That will keep the higher elevations cold and even some lower elevations.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:48 AM

2,850 posts, read 1,988,322 times
Quote:
4-8" being forecasted for OKC. Above 6" would be in Top 10 snowiest Decembers.

December 24, 2009 had the biggest 1 day snowstorm for December with 13.5".

There goes my 2009-10 reference.

https://twitter.com/CassieHeiter/sta...48512670855168
That all is certainly possible; it's just that temps are marginal thru most of the storm, and some of the GFS and Euro runs have shown relatively little precip over OK.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:55 AM

763 posts, read 383,823 times
I’m hoping the southward trend doesn’t continue. Some of the new models have me in the 4-8 in range instead of 10+ in like earlier runs. I guess things should start becoming clearer in the next 48 hours.

I can’t imagine how long it is going to take for things to get back to normal if Charlotte, NC gets 12 in. I don’t know if they have any plows down there. Bernie Rayno said this morning that he thinks that is a real possibility. I would think that amount of snow would set records.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:36 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,996,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
I’m hoping the southward trend doesn’t continue. Some of the new models have me in the 4-8 in range instead of 10+ in like earlier runs. I guess things should start becoming clearer in the next 48 hours.

I can’t imagine how long it is going to take for things to get back to normal if Charlotte, NC gets 12 in. I don’t know if they have any plows down there. Bernie Rayno said this morning that he thinks that is a real possibility. I would think that amount of snow would set records.
We have snow plows down here in CLT. Not many but we do have them. If we were to get 12 inches of snow, schools would be closed until all the snow/ice melts away on every road as our schools are county based.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,405,067 times
Quote:
I always forget about the Ice aspect of a storm especially for the south. It's the worst precip type to get. Hope it's not more than 1/2". That's when problems start with powerlines and tree limbs

Philly will be saying.. "What storm?".
DC will be saying... "Phew, just missed"
I'll be saying... "I cannot believe its missing me to the south by 400 miles in early December!"

I would of been happy with 1-3" from this. lol
An ice storm hit my area last month (I was without power for 105 hours) and brought down so many trees and limbs that VDOT and others are still not done clearing them all. Yes, they are pushed off the roadways or cut up just enough to make the roads passable but what happens on Sunday when the snow plows are rolling and pushing all that snow up on top of the downed wood? I imagine that some of it will get caught up and pulled out into the roads. Not a good thing.

Near my place there is a spot where the tree services dump what they've chipped and the pile is currently a good sized hill. It's free for the taking to use as mulch or to compost and will all eventually be taken by locals.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:51 PM

27,073 posts, read 12,016,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
We have snow plows down here in CLT. Not many but we do have them. If we were to get 12 inches of snow, schools would be closed until all the snow/ice melts away on every road as our schools are county based.

True.

We heard Jim Cantore will be in Asheville tomorrow so must be expecting record snow levels...

I'm just waiting now for Saturday's beginning of the storm. Weather guy calling for 12-24 inches....my western NC area has a lot of snow plows, my road is scraped usually on day 2.

most I've been in is 16 inches..my Nissan Murano did great until I needed to go uphill...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather