Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2018, 06:08 PM

217 posts, read 147,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Richmond March 1960. Without looking into more I will assume a trough just persisted in the East with blocking in the North Atlantic and continuous Polar Vortex lobes spitting down from Canada into the Eastern U.S. 1st half of month was crazy. Mid level temps must of been frigid!

Snowstorm on 2nd-3rd. Again 16th. Snowed on 20th and again 26th. I bet blooms were late that year too. Dropped to 11° one night.

Ok, I checked. Was curious.

Here is the Upper Level Pattern on March 4, 1960. Source: Doesn't look like majot blocking in the North Atlantic actually but an obvious dip in the Jet Stream in the East. No defined ridge in the west which is interesting because of that Upper Low over Western Canada.

Also interesting to see the Sub Tropical Ridge that far south. Nowadays its usually north more and why Florida has been overheating.

Whoa!! Look at the 850mb (5000') temps! Source:

The freezing line dipped to Florida which actually happened this year BUT, over Richmond it was -15C! I haven't seen that level of cold in March that far south. Interesting month. -20C over PA. Wow.

Great info, thanks! Interesting a trace of snow was recorded on March 26 and it hit a record high of 82 on March 28. What a persistent pattern for most of the month. They set two record highs and still average 13 below normal for the month.

Last edited by comm08; 03-25-2018 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: Expanding Thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 06:57 PM

5,045 posts, read 4,379,979 times
There could be a heavy rain event coming the middle of the week.

Quote:
Deepening south to southwest flow over the area will allow
moisture to increase ahead of the system, with weak disturbances
producing a low chc of showers or storms Tuesday. Showers and
tstms will increase on Wednesday, bcmg widespread by late in the
day and continuing overnight into Thursday. Instability and deep
layer shear will be sufficient for some severe storms during this
time. Meanwhile, precip water values will climb to ~1.7-1.8
inches, yielding the potential for some heavy rainfall as well.
This, coupled with the overall slow movement of the system, could
result in excessive rainfall amounts and an increased risk for
flooding. At this time, areal rainfall amounts look to average 2
to 4 inches from southeast TX into central LA, but locally higher
amounts will also be possible.

There are still some model discrepancies regarding how quickly
the system will move east with the GFS a faster solution while the
ECMWF is much slower. Thus rain chcs could linger into Thursday
night before the upper trough finally moves east, shifting the
deeper moisture east of the region. Drier weather and more
seasonal temperatures are expected by Friday, and continuing
through the weekend.
Might be higher totals to my north. This could worsen the river flooding.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:13 PM

5,045 posts, read 4,379,979 times
It was pretty warm and fairly humid this afternoon reaching 83F with a dewpoint of 66F.

A good bit of last week wasn't bad with highs in the 60's and 70's and four nights in the 40's.

Old 03-25-2018, 08:45 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,442,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Richmond March 1960. Without looking into more I will assume a trough just persisted in the East with blocking in the North Atlantic and continuous Polar Vortex lobes spitting down from Canada into the Eastern U.S. 1st half of month was crazy. Mid level temps must of been frigid!

Snowstorm on 2nd-3rd. Again 16th. Snowed on 20th and again 26th. I bet blooms were late that year too. Dropped to 11° one night.

Ok, I checked. Was curious.

Here is the Upper Level Pattern on March 4, 1960. Source: Doesn't look like majot blocking in the North Atlantic actually but an obvious dip in the Jet Stream in the East. No defined ridge in the west which is interesting because of that Upper Low over Western Canada.

Also interesting to see the Sub Tropical Ridge that far south. Nowadays its usually north more and why Florida has been overheating.

Whoa!! Look at the 850mb (5000') temps! Source:

The freezing line dipped to Florida which actually happened this year BUT, over Richmond it was -15C! I haven't seen that level of cold in March that far south. Interesting month. -20C over PA. Wow.

March 1960 is and likely always will be the most anomalous month ever. No other record cold or warm month has ever or ever will be as anomalous as march 1960... first half of that month averaged 20 something degrees below normal ( i mentioned 25 degrees below roughly a week ago).

Old 03-25-2018, 08:53 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,442,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 View Post
Great info, thanks! Interesting a trace of snow was recorded on March 26 and it hit a record high of 82 on March 28. What a persistent pattern for most of the month. They set two record highs and still average 13 below normal for the month.
False, they did not set any record highs that month. March 28 record high is 91 set in 1907.... Richmond gets into the low 80s in march on average most years. The highlighted red on the table denotes highest temps reached that month...

Old 03-26-2018, 04:17 AM

30,775 posts, read 21,652,571 times
Back to warm jack for my area.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:35 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,740,917 times
Currently 16.1°C (Normal Low 13.9°C)

Forecast high is 23.3°C (Normal High 26.7°C)

Old 03-26-2018, 04:36 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,590 posts, read 14,740,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Back to warm jack for my area.
You won't be blazing though based on the forecast I saw. Normal High and Low in Tampa today are 77°F/61°F

Old 03-26-2018, 04:48 AM

83,694 posts, read 76,068,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comm08 View Post

I did the same thing not long ago then I learned they simply highlight the lows and highs for the month. So they aren't records. But yeah, snow than 80s pretty neat to see for VA. And this is at the airport. I assume elsewhere maybe had snow sticking/accumulating then saw 80s couple days later.

Old 03-26-2018, 04:55 AM

83,694 posts, read 76,068,519 times
Yesterdays Min and Max temps

Wow 40s in Florida? No wonder why this guy near Tampa was saying what he said.
(@5:40, @6:50) He was pissed his Bermuda grass wasn't growing and looking bad and that "its been a weird year" with the freeze that hurt his Palms and the cold this Spring.

Max temps.

Looks like the Northern Jet stream is suppressed south.

Only 50s in South Carolina & Southern Missouri?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather