Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2018, 12:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,470,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
January 12, 2018

Decided to go outside during heavy rain to check on things....

One...

Two....

Three..

Saw this and was like oh man.. Ice jam backing up the underground water drain pipe.

Tis the season....but its not mud season yet.

Sinking with each step

See my boot? How about the umbrella?

I gave up holding it, luckily was warm enough to just get soaked while I fixed it.

I ripped that black pipe out enough to curve it away from the house, was still pouring out minutes after.

Add it to my project list for Spring

Instantly I miss the Arctic stuff. Bring back the 0s and Blizzards please!

1/2" of rain in 30 minutes!! Rapid Snow melt. Had 2-4" snowpack just few hours ago. Temp 55°F

Looks like ass, similar down here. Thankfully there's a nice strong cold front with arctic air behind this crap. Would love to see all that water freeze, might sink into the ground before that though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 12:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,611,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Looks like ass, similar down here. Thankfully there's a nice strong cold front with arctic air behind this crap. Would love to see all that water freeze, might sink into the ground before that though
I hope all the water gets absorbed or otherwise it'll be an ice skating rink.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:14 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,930,382 times

Skiing on Thursday after work. Love being able to ski 5 minutes away from my house, Dfb climates are the best

Old 01-13-2018, 02:02 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,545,614 times
I guess this is what you'd call a winter wonderland.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:59 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,749,988 times
^^ Indeed. This post from nei has a winter wonderland vibe too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
yesterday's snowstorm photos. Hard to take a photo while it's snowing

The sudden warmup in CT makes for ugly landscapes, but you've had enough cold I'd say. And at least you're getting cold again in a couple days.

It's been cloudy lately, we still haven't reached the 10 hour mark for January in Paris. I'd say that Nice feels distinctly sunnier.

Brown grass would be better, but what can I expect when it's January 13 and we haven't had a single freeze yet this month?

Former industrial towns with cookie-cutter houses are rare in Paris suburbs.

Spoiler

Parisian joie de vivre

The Marne river running high.

You can see woods getting flooded.
Spoiler

A guy was canoeing in there.

Here he is.

They used to make chocolate there.

Loads of ivy

Old 01-13-2018, 07:11 AM

I'd like to introduce you all to Tavelsjö. Tavelsjö is a quiet small town with not much happening except cold weather and frost, snow and occasional auroras. We've had -20'C temps here for four days in a row now with 5 days of clear skies, I'm ****ing sick of it, but it makes for some impressive frost buildup (and also sunrises, but due to technical limitations I couldn't post those on this forum).

Since this is a Saturday and I'm not working, I figured I'd use the time to actually be able to go outside while it's still bright (actually it was because I have a stupid dog that needs to go outside even when it's frigid ****ing -22'C). This was the first stop on the journey. A birch forest can be seen. The only good thing about birches is that their white bark and thin crow's-nesty twigs that look ****ing terrible in the green season, at least looks pretty nice when they're covered with frost.

Then I went out onto the titular Tavelsjö (Painting lake). Does it look like a painting lake should? I don't know. It's really nice because a family that lives here, completely on their own without any promise of anything in return, singlehandedly plow the ice to make a huge dozen mile long ice skating road every winter out of charity. Last winter Umeå municipality even started sending free buses from the city to the town to let people skate on the lake bringing a lot of "tourism". There were a bunch of people going about today too. I wouldn't want to though since it was 22 ****ing degrees below the freezing point of shit. I saw a guy whose hair was completely white from frost, with large pulps of ice hanging from his white eye lashes. Brrrr. Sadly couldn't take a picture of him.

Then I got bored of walking on the ice and started slowly making my way to the church. Here's a snow mobile highway through the cold grove.

If this isn't impressive amounts of frost then I don't know what is.

Somewhere underneath all that snow (which is abut 70cm), there's supposed to be a creek.

And then I stopped to take another picture of the sun. This was at one o'clock. You could actually see the sun through the wispy clouds.

Slowly making my way to the church indeed. I've moved 10 meters from the last picture and in total 70 meters from the grove picture.

No picture of the church. Just a picture of some white trees, especially that birch. Looking pretty neat.

Maples aren't as impressive, at least not to the naked eye, but they did come out rather nicely on camera.

I almost forgot to take a picture of the "view" from the church hill too. Had to run up the hill again. This is the eastern side of the town.

I thought this birch looked pretty neat too.

And Cambium. I think your rhododendron are fine. These have to withstand the -40'C temps Tavelsjö is capable of managing.

And what do you know. While writing this I looked out the window and saw the sun was setting and the clouds, which can be seen in the distance in the "view" from the church, rolling in.

Full resolution images:
Spoiler

Old 01-13-2018, 07:37 AM

83,596 posts, read 75,595,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post

lol.. It's happened in the past when the ground was more frozen. Sheet of ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I hope all the water gets absorbed or otherwise it'll be an ice skating rink.
Yup, it absorbed within 6 hrs all gone. Guess good soil and non frozen soil helps in winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post

Skiing on Thursday after work. Love being able to ski 5 minutes away from my house, Dfb climates are the best

Looks so fresh. Love untouched snow. You're lucky to have it that close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
It's been cloudy lately, we still haven't reached the 10 hour mark for January in Paris. I'd say that Nice feels distinctly sunnier.

Spoiler
Nice shot with that one. Kinda looks like spring there with the green grass and high waters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba_Wethu View Post
I'd like to introduce you all to Tavelsjö. Tavelsjö is a quiet small town with not much happening except cold weather and frost, snow and occasional auroras. We've had -20'C temps here for four days in a row now with 5 days of clear skies, I'm ****ing sick of it, but it makes for some impressive frost buildup (and also sunrises, but due to technical limitations I couldn't post those on this forum).
Spoiler

Favorite.

Nice pics! Love the colors! Love those red homes, awesome for winter landscape. You can sense the cold in those pics. 4 days in a row staying under 0°F or 4 days in a row with a low of -20C?

That frost just looks like snowflakes hanging on but impressive how much is on there without falling off. That's another look at how cold it is. Looks like it snowed and everything just froze together.

That Rhodo is exactly what mine looked like last week. I don't know how they hung on.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:39 AM

January 13, 2018.

I thought I'd see Ice Jams at the Local river but I guess the ice wasn't thick enough here.

This was frozen over enough to play Ice hockey on 5 days ago. Oh well.

Quick video of the river..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNxs...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-13-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Nice pics! Love the colors! Love those red homes, awesome for winter landscape. You can sense the cold in those pics. 4 days in a row staying under 0°F or 4 days in a row with a low of -20C?

That frost just looks like snowflakes hanging on but impressive how much is on there without falling off. That's another look at how cold it is. Looks like it snowed and everything just froze together.

That Rhodo is exactly what mine looked like last week. I don't know how they hung on.
Three days with means around 20'C. Wednesday only briefly touched -20'C in the evening. And it hasn't snowed in a long time and before the sunny streak it was 2'C for a day so all the white you see is frost. (Except that on the ground.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:48 AM

Can't believe I didn't get a pic after the blizzard and when it was frozen more. Would of looked awesome.

Anyway - Comparison Jan 1st and today. I need to get back into the comparing mode.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather