Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2016, 09:54 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,332,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Past three years here. 2014 had a horrible spring, 2015 had a good May, and this year we had a good March. But I hope we can have at least one year with two spring months above average
I forgot about 2014, I honestly think it was worse than 2015/16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 10:01 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I forgot about 2014, I honestly think it was worse than 2015/16.
It was. 2015 honestly was fantastic from May on in New York City, and from September onwards upstate. 2014 was just horrible, with a cold summer, freezing winter, the only good thing that came from it was September and October. Horrible year overall

Old 05-03-2016, 10:25 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
2014 was just horrible, with a cold summer, freezing winter, the only good thing that came from it was September and October. Horrible year overall
June 19th, 2014 featured probably the best lightning I've ever seen in Lexington. Then after a horrible July, there was a sudden breakout in August with 21 consecutive days with a dewpoint over 70F. August had 9.56" of rain as well.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
June 19th, 2014 featured probably the best lightning I've ever seen in Lexington. Then after a horrible July, there was a sudden breakout in August with 21 consecutive days with a dewpoint over 70F. August had 9.56" of rain as well.
I think in NYC we didn't get our first 90 until the July 4th weekend. And we only had like 7 or 8 days above 90 that year, with most of them happening at the end of August and September. What a ****ty year for weather that was

Old 05-03-2016, 10:34 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
I think in NYC we didn't get our first 90 until the July 4th weekend. And we only had like 7 or 8 days above 90 that year, with most of them happening at the end of August and September. What a ****ty year for weather that was
I think I do remember it being really late for NYC that year. We had 21 days above 90 and the first was June 16.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:34 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
2015 was probably the worst year in memory here. 11 out of 12 months well above normal, a dry and hot summer with barely any storms, a December that had May-like temperatures......****ing terrible. Most boring and ****ty year I've experienced.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:39 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
One thing I noticed on this radar loop is the way the mountains in Pennsylvania forced a thunderstorm to become borderline severe as it passed over. Take a look at the small cluster of thunderstorms passing north of Hagerstown, MD. You'll notice they turn from yellow to red and orange as they pass over South Mountain. Nifty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Do you see how excessively wet it was? Yet summer was above average. Just not too many upper 90's temps
Didn't Chicago reach 100°F in 1983?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
If that verifies, then it makes me wonder if the Mid-Atlantic will be the hottest area relative to normal.

Quote:
I'd love to experience another summer like 2013. More cloud-to-ground lightning events than all the time since combined, and 3rd highest precipitation on record for the JJA period.
Please no, that summer was ****ing terrible in the Deep South. In my part of Georgia, we had at least a trace of precipitation every day from June 29-July 15, and accumulated 7.11" of rain during that period of time. Even worse, my heaviest day of precipitation that summer was July 4, and the local fireworks show was canceled, rained out. Eight of the remaining 17 days that July had at least a trace of precipitation as well. The only enjoyable summer weather we had was from late August through mid-September. Only one day that summer did the temperature reach 95°F, which is about like a summer with only one 90°F day in the Great Lakes region. Sorry, but I'd much rather not have a summer 2013 redux ever again.

Quote:
Pittsburgh and Buffalo didn't even reach 90°F that year, so count your blessings. It could have been worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
2015 was probably the worst year in memory here. 11 out of 12 months well above normal, a dry and hot summer with barely any storms, a December that had May-like temperatures......****ing terrible. Most boring and ****ty year I've experienced.
I thought 2015 was mostly OK. For me, the weather was nice and cold in January, February and early March, and the summer was moderately hot, with three days of 100°F temperatures, and a couple dozen other days with temperatures 95°F or higher. The only thing I didn't like about 2015 was that temperatures stayed pretty warm for most of the fall, and we didn't get out first chill in the air until about mid-November. And as we all know, December was hideous. The high temperature in my neck of the woods on Christmas was 77°F, which was not only a daily record, but was also among the warmer half of days in 2015! There was at least one day with a high temperature below 77°F in every month except June and July. Even August had a day that stayed below 77°F. That better never happen again. It killed any Christmas spirit I had.

So basically, my 2015 was good from January through September, but lousy from October through December.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I think I do remember it being really late for NYC that year. We had 21 days above 90 and the first was June 16.
That's insane considering how far south you are. Aren't your average highs already in the 80s by May and June?

Old 05-03-2016, 10:55 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Quote:
That's insane considering how far south you are. Aren't your average highs already in the 80s by May and June?
74 F in May and 83 F in June......

It's at the same latitude as Central VA, and at somewhat high elevation (978 feet). Nowhere in VA has an average above 80 F in May, maybe by the end of the month.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
2015 was like a tale of two cities in NYC

January to April: Nunavut or Iqualuit

May to December: Buenos Aires or Rio de Janeiro

Our December really was nothing short of glorious. November was fantastic too, with a high of 14c, which is just about perfect for me, but December had an average high of 13c, it's almost like something you would see in Spain or Southern France! Our low for that month was 34, simply unthinkable! I feel so happy whenever I just think about that month lol, I was legit wearing a t-shirt on Christmas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather