Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2016, 01:57 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,346,927 times

Advertisements

Btw Los Angeles is also on a long above average streak, their last below average month was May 2015. And before that their last below average month was October 2013. I just want this pattern end, they don't deserve to be above average all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 02:43 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,957,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
The anomalies are nowhere near what they once were. Also, how has that impacted us within the last 7 or 8 months. We've had consistently above average temps since August here.

El Nino swamped us with Pacific air and the PNW was also warm. What happened in 2014 and 2015 with no El Nino?

Old 04-11-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Did you know there has been 12 straight above normal months in Philly? That's right. Since March 2015 and with some record and near record months within. Really not sure why the ignoring of the warm and snow.

Just saw this from NWS. Looks like 3-5" did accumulate outside the UHI of Philly

This is about 11 miles from center of Philly's UHI April 9th in Bryn Mawr.

yes, 12 months have been above average, some barely so. I think we are over due for months above average. Why does everyone on here focus all the time on the East, and not say anything about record warmth in CA and the PNW for the last few years.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:18 PM

808 posts, read 713,588 times
Default The Daily Weather Fail - 11.04.2016

It's 44.2°F (6.8°C) and overcast right now. The low was a fairly average 33.4°F (0.8°C) this morning; our averages are currently 53/35 (11/2). Yesterday we made it up to 49°F (9°C); the sun actually came out and it didn't precipitate like they said it would.

Today after work I decided to go for a walk around my block, and with the wind it was freezing! The wind had to be at least 20 mph (32 km/h).

I'm just excited that our temperatures will be going up soon. The current forecast calls for the following:

Day: Weather conditions, hi/lo°F (hi/lo°C)
Tuesday: Partly cloudy, 44/34 (7/1)
Wednesday: Partly cloudy, 52/38 (11/3)
Thursday: Sunny, 59/41 (15/5)
Friday: Sunny, 62/43 (17/6)
Saturday: Sunny, 66/47 (19/8)

Because AccuWeather is usually low on our temperatures, we have a good shot of seeing our first 70°F (21°C) or greater day of the year this Saturday. It's nice to see that this recent subarctic tripe outbreak is ending and spring is going to begin sometime soon.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Did you know there has been 12 straight above normal months in Philly? That's right. Since March 2015 and with some record and near record months within. Really not sure why the ignoring of the warm and snow.

Just saw this from NWS. Looks like 3-5" did accumulate outside the UHI of Philly

This is about 11 miles from center of Philly's UHI April 9th in Bryn Mawr.

What is the point you are trying to prove? That the UHI of Philly prevents all kinds of snow in April in the area?

From 1981 to 2014-15 winter, 36 years, it has snowed at our airport (snowfall not snow depth), a total of 7 times. If you count snow depth of 1" or greater it shrinks to 3 times. If you count snowfall of .5" or higher it rises to 8 times. If you count snowfall of .1" or higher it rises to 12 times in 36 years. AC Airport way outside our UHI has snowfall (1" or more) 4 times in 36 years. And yes if you look at the NOAA climate report for April 9 2016 at our airport it recorded .3" of snowfall, and 0" of snowdepth.

The problem with stations west of Philly and closer in east is that they are missing too many years of snowfall information. But Wilmington, DE 20 miles south of Philadelphia has snowfall 6 times in those 36 years. And finally Allentown Intl Airport well outside our UHI has snowfall of 1" or greater 7 times in those 36 years, and for snowfall of .1" or more 13 times in 36 years.

So yeah we get snow in April, but not even close to the majority of years. And the mean number of days with snowfall in Philly and Allentown for .1" or more in April is 0. I wouldn't say it is really rare, but it is certainly an uncommon occurrence.

Old 04-11-2016, 04:26 PM

83,581 posts, read 75,545,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
What is the point you are trying to prove? That the UHI of Philly prevents all kinds of snow in April in the area?

From 1981 to 2014-15 winter, 36 years, it has snowed at our airport (snowfall not snow depth), a total of 7 times. If you count snow depth of 1" or greater it shrinks to 3 times. If you count snowfall of .5" or higher it rises to 8 times. If you count snowfall of .1" or higher it rises to 12 times in 36 years.

So yeah we get snow in April, but not even close to the majority of years. And the mean number of days with snowfall in Philly and Allentown for .1" or more in April is 0. I wouldn't say it is really rare, but it is certainly an uncommon occurrence.
Thats exactly my point.. we are only looking at accumulations .. it could be snowing for hours on end and not accumulate at these warm UHI airports. So snow could be more common then we think in April. That was really my only point I am trying to make.

Technically a "Trace" is recorded if there isnt accumulation so looking at those "T"s on the stats I guess would give us a better clue how many times its snowed (not just accumulated or lasting).

But then the issue is if that exact station was lucky enough to be under snow fallling. Maybe it only did outside that spot.

All I know is that snow "falling" in April is not a rare or uncommon thing.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:05 PM

5,039 posts, read 4,363,744 times
Storms training across north Louisiana and into Mississippi right now with multiple flash flood warnings. Unfortunately over the same areas that saw severe flooding just a month ago.

Not much here today, although we could get some storms overnight. There was also a thunderstorm that came thru early this morning that woke me up, but I didn't get much rain out of it.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:35 AM

Boring weather pattern. next 7 days No big storms. No Snow. No extreme Heat or Cold

So looking ahead... Euro shows the Polar Vortex dropping down to Saskatchewan. See it? 510DAM. Bitter cold. That will push the Jet Stream in the West-Central U.S. What else is new with that Warm Pacific blob? ...... Oh wait... I keep forgetting, its dead, that's why this has been happening for 12 months now.

Question is, what does that trough do after that? Does it push East or does it retreat back to Canada? Or just moderate and disappear?

If there is a strong High in the Atlantic too close to East coast, it wont push east.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:38 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather