Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2015, 08:54 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,161 times

Advertisements

A bit more of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

The cloudy weather made it a bad day for shooting photos.
I'm not satisfied with the photos.

Going up

All the times i've been to Tenerife in Summer, it was never that cool in the clouds.

It was 54°-55° F up there

Next day on the northern coast with better weather.

Platanos

Garachico

The Road to Punta del Teno, which was closed for some time, has opened again.

The color of the ocean is amazing.

Those cliffs are very tall. ( 500m/1640ft +)

This is also the place were our rental car has been broken in, which left a bitter aftertaste for the rest of the holiday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 01:02 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Awesome photos of the Canary Islands. I'm not really into dry climates, but the hillside banana plantations with views over the sea, look like my idea of paradise. Are there any cloud forests there?

Looks like some nice swell as well. A bit freaky that the whole island is really just a volcano though.

Haven't been able to view any photos on the previous page.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Awesome photos of the Canary Islands. I'm not really into dry climates, but the hillside banana plantations with views over the sea, look like my idea of paradise. Are there any cloud forests there?

Looks like some nice swell as well. A bit freaky that the whole island is really just a volcano though.

Haven't been able to view any photos on the previous page.
Yes, there are cloud forests.

Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 AM

Next day...going up

I love this place

That tree makes no sense

Clouds are rare up here

That peak (2715m/8907ft) is the highest point of the caldera wall and it's named "Guajara"

Roques de Garcia

La Catedral

See the Climber

The Parador Hotel

Pico Viejo, the smaller brother of Teide.

Above the clouds

La Gomera

Old 09-08-2015, 07:55 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times

Old 09-09-2015, 05:53 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Comparison Pic. Very Wet June to Very Dry & Hot August. Pattern changed since Mid July, most lawns are brown now except the ones that have a sprinkler on them once or twice a day.

Old 09-09-2015, 06:10 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,989,314 times
My Ioannina city today! Normal day and cooler fortunately!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
From a series of bike rides over three days in the last week of August. The first day is the same as a ride I did last year, also in August. I'm getting repetitive. Anyhow, first day is up to Mt. Greylock. After about 18 miles of riding up into the hills, looking towards to the north down to the Deerfield River Valley. With a flowering bush in the foreground (can't remember the name, it's been mentioned before):

then through rolling hillsides:

horse on the side of the house

down in the Deerfield valley. Started up a short hike. Looking up:

Deerfield river valley with scenic gravel pit:

My destination for the evening in the distance:

Think there was an upper level low keeping things cooler than usual, was in the mid 70s, maybe low 70s. Dewpoints started in the low 60s and dropped somewhat as the day went on. Some more hike photos:

Spoiler

on the way down looking back to the road:

rocky trail

Rickety bridge along the Deerfield:

After descending into the Deerfield to get further west one must climb out of the Deerfield river valley. Phew. Finally done. Sign says 9 1/2% grade next 2 1/2 miles. Took me about 25 minutes. Bullet hole right in the middle of the sign. Good aim!

Now coming down on the other side of the hills, looking west. Into the Hoosic River, which flow west into the Hudson River in New York rather than the Connecticut River on the other side of the hill.

Natural Bridges State Park

some more photos

Spoiler

old factory building, North Adams

North Adams has had the largest population decline of any town or city in Massachusetts, maybe all of New England. Some of the locals didn't umm look the best (plenty weren't of course). It had an odd combination of getting regional tourism and looking rather depressed. Thought I'd have pasta for dinner, saw three places. The last one was titled "famous" so thought that one would be the one to check out.

Front of the building:

colorful wall on a street:

Wind power plants up on the hills:

evening sky. Town has a beautiful setting.

climb up Mt. Greylock starts at North Adams. Looking back

Some photos on the way

Spoiler
looking towards the summit

Past sunset on the way down

Got dark by the time I was almost to the top. Looking west down to Adams, MA

===============================

Next morning, summit was in fog. Mostly conifers up here; only subalpine forest in Massachusetts

Non-Conifers mixed in

Spoiler

War memorial Tower

An ode to valley fog — not what I'm in

Cloud bottom started to rise half hour later. Beginning to get down:

Saw a tree with changing colors at around 2000 feet. Leaves change early up here

Dirt road down at the bottom, around 1000 feet

Quick stop at Pittsfield, MA

Then Great Barrington, MA for lunch. Very touristy town. Treeless American street:

Windy road up in the hills (Taconics):

trail to waterfall

waterfall

looking west towards New York. Think the mountains in the distance are the Catskills

Rather empty, flat-ish mostly farm country

Mural of old train line turned to bike path

what's this plant?

Metro North station. Not many amenities here, but the train takes one to a place with more amneniites. But I missed the train. Remembered the schedule wrong, though the train left at 6:30 rather than 6:05, realized at 5:30. Watched the train pull out.

Next train at 8:30.

Old 09-12-2015, 11:22 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Train journey was long, a bit over 2 hours, first part of the train was slow.Next morning, staying overnight in Brooklyn. New location has more amnenities, but I'm biking out away. Passed the Gowanus Canal! Wasn't even trying to see it, just happened to enroute. All trips to NYC should include a visit to the Gowanus Canal. A new Whole Foods is on the right side, a nice walkway has been been built with benches so Whole Food Shoppers can enjoy a nice view of the canal on the way in or out, or could lunch with a canal view.

A closer view revealed some icky slime. Appears to be a worse swimming spot than the Deerfield River. Icky smell, too.

A few blocks later, I went on a bridge over the canal. New construction along the canal

Some views of Brooklyn from the street:

Spoiler

Grocery store is selling fruit outside

Crossing the East River. No clue what those three guys were doing.

Unlike the Manhattan Bridge, the Brooklyn Bridge bike lane isn't separated from the pedestrian path. At this hour, it wasn't too crowded with tourists that the bike lane turned into an obstacle course. The path is above the roadway rather to the side so you get better view. Manhattan Bridge bike path is adjacent to a four track subway line which has a deafening rumble everytime a train passes (usually less than once a minute). Looking northwest from the bridge:

A couple housing projects in the left foreground. Red high rise in the foreground is Confucius Plaza, a cooperative owned residential building in Chinatown. And towards the lower tip of Manhattan:

Spoiler

small park at the Manhattan end of the bridge end in downtown by City Hall

Continuing on... Tribeca has a neat mix of old brick with shiny skyscrapers in the background. Can't remember which roads I biked on, they were surprisingly decent (wasn't rush hour; it was 10:30)

In Battery Park City. Irish Hunger Memorial in foreground, One World Trade Center in background

Before heading north, I wanted to take a photo of the mouth of the Hudson

Moderate northwind bring clean, clear and low humidity air. Beautiful late summer day to be out. Battery Park City has nice some gardens and is well landscaped:

Architecture is rather bland, IMO

Across to Jersey City

Not sure what this is. Weird columnated structure.

Finally heading north, nice clear sky. Looking back south from the path, Battery Park City is on the right

Hudson riverfront is well-landscape most of the time, but the bike path stays a bit away from the river and the landscaping for the first few miles. Pedestrian only path passes through it. Path is OK but convenient. Got squeezed under an elevated highway

Not sure what that thing is

Further north, the path follows the Hudson. Starting to see hills in the distance over the river.

Spoiler

brown grass. It's been dry in downstate NY:

Have to go up hill away from the river to get to the bridge. Washington Heights, Manhattan:

favorite quote from CD on Washington Heights:

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Back in the 80s, Washington Heights is where everyone from NJ went to buy cocaine. Now that was a pretty big draw to the neighborhood.

Amusing memories of one exchange: A cop screaming "Buy your drugs in Jersey!" and the woman's response, "I can't find drugs in Jersey!"

Looking back south from the George Washington Bridge:

the bridge path. The internet says the bridge has most vehicle traffic of any bridge in the world

Looked for lunch in Fort Lee, wide roads weren't that bike friendly. Strange to see strip malls and parking lots so close to Washington Heights. Lots of residential high rises in Fort Lee, a bit Vancouver-like

Place I stopped for lunch offered "low carb" pizza. Nope, I'm on a high-carb diet

Looking across the river. The two bridges connect The Bronx (left, part of the mainland) with Manhattan island. Bottom bridge is just for Amtrak coming from Albany, single-track. See the train?

Continued on a nice, quiet road for 8 miles with views of the Hudson through the trees. Second half had rolling small hills and local bicyclist told me it was like a "sine wave". Near the beginning of road:

Spoiler

Cliffs are called the Palisades, I think they're basalt. Looking south

and across the river atop a hill in Manhattan is a French abbey.

Then 8 miles on a main road with a good shoulder and not too much traffic. Lookout at the NJ-NY border

butterfly in the flowers

Lookout's garbage cans are bear proof

A few miles north, in a park

Biked out to the point shown in the photo

Guy was talking rather passionately. Appears to be low tide on the river. Could smell the salt water. What a strange river. Or is it a sea. Many of the spots I've stopped must have been underwater during Hurricane Sandy (including Battery Park City):

couple more photos

Spoiler
marshes

hilly town in Westchester across the river

on local roads

Spoiler
apartment complex

cute house by the river

treelined American commercial street (Nyack, NY)

riverside path

more basalt cliffs

second half of the path had short steep, gravelly up and downs. Fine little roller coaster, but nothing hard to handle. Sign at the end said "wide-tired bikes only". Didn't think mine qualified. Another hill in the distance

I knew the Hudson had small mountains on its sides, but I was unaware of the existence of Mt. Gravel

Treeless American commercial street. Haverstraw, NY

would look better without all those wires

Spoiler

more river

At the summit of Bear Mountain (1200 feet). Unlike a few to the north, it doesn't rise straight from the river so I couldn't make it from the road. Saw two deer at the top, photographed one:

Full moon:

Looking down the mountain

Preserved forest for the west, keeps going as far as I could see

cropped and enlarged view of the Manhattan skyline sticking out just over the hills to the south

hard to figure out which building is which. 10 minutes later, one building started glowing red, reflecting the sunset light

Spoiler

Sunset on Bear Mountain

dusk

view to the north of the Hudson on the way down

It was too dark and I was trying to finish the ride as quickly as possible, but the view from the Bear Mountain Bridge is neat

Different scenery an hour and a half later

Waited around Union Square to meet a friend. Some group was playing electronic-ish music with a good beat and dancing to it:

Someone was wearing a shirt with a Donald Trump logo on it. First Donald Trump themed attire I've seen. Since it was in Union Square and the guy wearing was black, I'm assuming he was wearing it ironically. And something about the logo made it seem inauthentic.

Last edited by nei; 09-12-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 09-12-2015, 11:33 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,257,582 times
I was at the garden. I thought it was pretty, we walked there every morning.

Did you go into the water house?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather