Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2015, 02:51 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,752,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
hard to figure out which building is which. 10 minutes later, one building started glowing red, reflecting the sunset light
My bet is on the Beekman tower.

Great reports, both. I'm repeating myself, but southern NY/SW New England sounds like an interesting place to explore, with rather empty, forested hills, a countryside dotted with numerous picturesque old towns (for American standards) and a ginormous city in the middle. And once you move away from the coast a bit, the climate is verging on ideal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 09:14 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,631,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Great reports, both. I'm repeating myself, but southern NY/SW New England sounds like an interesting place to explore, with rather empty, forested hills, a countryside dotted with numerous picturesque old towns (for American standards) and a ginormous city in the middle. And once you move away from the coast a bit, the climate is verging on ideal.
I'd agree. But southern France sounds like an interesting place to explore; picturesque old towns and small cities, pretty coastline, and scenic countryside with rugged mountains and canyons. No enormous city, though.

It was very obvious from bicycling that New York City was much, much bigger than Berlin. I'd say the edge of the NYC metro is around where Haverstraw is (the treeless commercial street in the last post) The parkland, which Bear Mountain is a part of is a natural break and it's not that developed on the other side. Subway service change notice. Guess what language many locals living near the N train in Brooklyn speak?

how to cool off an apartment in NYC without A/C

Anyhow, more of the ginormous city. After, Crown Heights. A mostly African-American neighborhood with African immigrants. African jewerly shop:

Neighborhood mural:

There were some really pretty residential streets, but I didn't photograph them. These weren't anything special:

Aboveground subway station has an actual building to it.

Unusual subway line, most of it is single-tracked. Only 1.25 miles long. One double tracked section where if the trains follow the schedule trains coming in opposite directions can pass. Waiting for the train:

Train is only two cars long:

Transferred to a "normal" subway line, got off at Coney Island. Could smell salt water when the doors opened at the last few stops. From the window, 5ish story buildings continuing for a distance then ending abruptly at the ocean. Coney Island beach is rather unattractive and trash-strewn.

From a rocking ferris wheel:

A Coney Island Steeplechase. That ride was rather boring there were better roller coasters:

Next day another ride. Random neighborhood of detached houses in the middle of Brooklyn:

Local beverage store has a sign in Russian and sells Kosher Beer

How about Kosher Pizza?

Mid-century brick apartment buildings line Ocean Parkway among other streets

local commercial street

Got to a non-trash strewn beach in NYC

Was hot and humid when I left, just before I got there it clouded over, in parts of Brooklyn it was drizzling. No rain at the beach, but cloudy with a cool breeze coming off the ocean. Water didn't seem that inviting. Sun finally came out but it was low in the sky. Water wasn't that warm but tolerable. Would have been better if it weren't for the wind:

altocumulus?

Random abandoned buildings

Dunes are rather short here. Beach was closed for a while after Sandy, you can still see some dead vegetation.

Beach buildings from the early 30s:

Beachfront homes:

Spoiler

Beach to the east is more developed

Took the subway back rather than biked back. Unusual subway use pattern: filled up near the end of the line, and got less crowded as it got closer to the center city. Beach is the main trip generator for the line, and people were leaving to transfer to other lines as it got further in; most weren't riding all the way to Manhattan anyway.

Train goes on a narrow bridge over the bay, not much above the water. From the window, it looked like the train was riding on water. Bridge was severely damaged by Sandy and needed expensive rework.

==============================

Next day. Manhattan end of Manhattan Bridge in Chinatown:

Central Park looks dry

not that dry looking here

Then train to Waterbury, CT. Bronx apartment building

Old train station, Waterbury

Waterbury looked rather depressed

what is this?

hot, humid and hazy (high 80s, dews high 60s). Trying to get home before dark and area wasn't that scenic so didn't take many photos. Sky didn't help. Think I may have passed the Mt. Tom in Connecticut Cambium has mentioned. Some farm country

now in Massachusetts. Weird. Mill building next to farm building. Or maybe the farm building is an old shed.

not much of a bridge surface

getting late

Old 09-12-2015, 09:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I was at the garden. I thought it was pretty, we walked there every morning.

Did you go into the water house?
Yea, I thought the garden was well done. Not sure if I made it to that exact pier building. Didn't go inside anything, I just bicycled in a big circle.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:20 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,272,928 times
Yeah. Your so lucky to be near all that!

Old 09-14-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:

Entering Seville. Didn't they get the memo that European cities are supposed to be treeless?

Nice photos of Seville and Cadiz; I didn't have time to see them when I was there. Your Cordoba photos look very familiar; what is this:

Spoiler

Old 09-15-2015, 11:11 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,752,991 times
Thanks! Similarly, Cordoba looked familiar after seeing your photos from last year. As for the photo, it's the Corredera square. It's pretty central actually. Seville is quite a nice city, much greener than Cordoba, which is a big plus given the hot summers. I would have loved to visit some of the pueblos blancos and especially Ronda. Shame we were in a hurry.

I still have hard time realizing how compact some of the cities are, especially Valencia. I mean, c'mon, this is half a mile from that.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:07 PM

8,876 posts, read 8,481,834 times
Quote:
Gahhhhhhhh I want to visit Seville so bad.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:43 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,687,496 times
A few pics from a couple weeks ago:

Old 10-01-2015, 08:33 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,690,600 times
I felt like posting some more Tenerife pics

Los Gigantes

Epic Fog

Next day, Anaga Mountains

Laurisilva Cloud Forest

This part of the island certainly doesn't fit into the image most people have of Tenerife

I love this part of the island, the coastline is amazing imo

Autopista Norte

Old 10-02-2015, 09:21 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,690,600 times

La Orotava

Casa de los Balcones

Playa de Bolullo

Banana Plantations and a 12.200 ft peak in the background.

View of my actual favourite beach of the Island, Playa de los Patos

Playa de Bolullo

Sunset later that day

La Palma

Next day, with a view of Gran Canaria

The typical Canary Island Pine Forest

Teide and a Sea of Clouds

The treeless Canary Islands

Weird looking Pines

Inhabitants

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather