Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 07:44 AM

29,531 posts, read 19,620,154 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/MJVentrice/statu...68850257178624
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 08:43 AM

267 posts, read 352,186 times
Yeah I've been watching the numbers for NJ decreases bit by bit. Last I saw on Weather Underground we were down to mostly rain/ice mix in northern nj

Old 02-06-2015, 10:21 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Ok... Here's GFS12z. 4 images...

First....... Monday 10am. Notice 3 things...

1. Precip north of thick blue line = snow.
2. Storm over Maryland about to head off the coast.
3. High pressure in Eastern Canada IS THE KEY to marginal areas like here whether Cold Air Damming will be strong enough to give us ICE or that HP is too far north Monday to give us rain/snow mix.

Second... Data for nei for Chicopee, MA

1. Precip column starts Saturday lunchtime continues all the way to Monday night. Light stuff over weekend and on and off but Monday is the snowier day of the next 4 days. 0.70" qpf of all snow Monday alone = 6-9" there says the GFS

2. Temps continue to bottom out next week

Third.........Danbury, CT near me...

1. 0.67" qpf Monday alone, before that pretty much just snow showers Saturday/Sunday. Nothing on Tuesday.
2. Notice the 850mb temps Monday 12z(7am), pops above freezing with surface still at freezing. ICE issues. (UGH!)

This is because it trended north otherwise it would stay cold enough for all snow like for nei.

Forth. ... Atantic City

1. Very little Precip (too far south)

2. Warm enough for rain.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:58 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Crap. Why does this keep happening?

Climate Change, formerly known as Global Warming and all brought about by man. And the guy who burns tires on his property down in Australia.

Why does it keep happening? It's winter and is the north eastern part of the USA, no? If it wasn't cold and snowing the big talk would be about climate change. Climate change explains away everything from naturally occurring tornadoes, hot summers, hurricanes, earthquakes, glaciers calving, snow, floods, volcanoes and probably forest fires. Nothing is due to nature in these times, the do gooders have proclaimed so and steadfastly believe man has a malevolent hand in the workings of weather.

Funny...man can't eradicate insect pests, cancer or other maladies but we can kill a planet.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:58 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times

Old 02-06-2015, 01:54 PM

Im not greedy but I was hoping the bulk didn't shift north again with this event.. I was in the 12"+ zone days ago. Oh well. Lets see if trends start showing a south move

Nice graphics fromPamelaWBZ4 showing the snow totals Day by Day Sat-Tues.

Monday to be the snowiest of the days as I said a million times already. LOL

Old 02-06-2015, 04:04 PM

Here's the latest NWS Snow total forecast. Will update tomorrow once Albany updates their map.

National Weather Service Forecast Office - Upton, NY

National Weather Service Forecast Office - Portland-Gray,Maine

http://www.weather.gov/images/box/wi...lSnowRange.png

Winter Storm Graphics

WFO BTV Storm Total Snow Forecast

Storm Total Snowfall Forecast

Storm Total Snow Forecast

Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 AM

Latest NWS Snow Total Forecast. Widespread 10"+ of snow from PA to ME with 14-18" in NY, VT, MA & into CT.

Litchfield hills in CT gonna get a nice dumping... but this is just Ridiculous!!!

That 10-18" was much south more days ago! Over me. Whats with the north trend lately??? Less than 1" now for me??

ice forecast

Old 02-07-2015, 07:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
latest forecast discussion

SNOW TOTALS A TAD HIGHER THAN PREVIOUS FORECAST GIVEN WE EXPANDED
THE SNOW GRID INTO MON EVENING. MODEL BLEND OF ECMWF AND UKMET
SUPPORT 12"+ ACROSS MOST OF MA /EXCLUDING SOUTHEAST MA/. SLIGHTLY
LESS...ON THE ORDER OF 8-12" INTO NORTHERN CT AND RI GIVEN POTENTIAL
FOR A PERIOD OF MIXED SNOW/SLEET AND/OR FREEZING RAIN LATE MON/MON
EVENING. SNOW TOTALS THEN BECOME MOST UNCERTAIN NEAR THE SOUTH COAST
GIVEN POTENTIAL DURATION OF MIXED PRECIP. EARLY INDICATIONS SUGGEST
3-6" WITH 1-3" FOR THE ISLANDS. GREATEST FORECAST CONFIDENCE IS
ACROSS MA...FROM THE MA/CT/RI BORDER NORTHWARD TO MA/NH BORDER.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
latest forecast discussion

It's not depressing seeing the highest totals north of me, but its so depressing when those totals were over me just 48hrs ago.

Just 30-45 min to my north and there will be over 8".

WILL BE A RATHER TIGHT GRADIENT OF SNOWFALL AND JUST THE EXTREME NORTHERN PORTIONS OF THE WATCH AREA MAY SEE 8 PLUS INCHES FROM LATE SUNDAY AFTERNOON INTO LATE MONDAY NIGHT.

THE ON GOING WINTER WEATHER EVENT WILL BECOME MORE LIKELY AS LOW PRESSURE MOVES ALONG THE STALLED FRONTAL BOUNDARY. RAIN ALONG THE COAST AND A WINTRY MIX INLAND WILL BECOME A WINTRY MIX ACROSS THE ENTIRE REGION AS SUNDAY NIGHT PROGRESSES AS COLD AIR MOVES IN AT THE SURFACE AND ALOFT.

There goes my snowpack. UGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather