Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 AM

29,551 posts, read 19,645,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Illinois above average, Alabama & Georgia above average, Kentucky below average?
Continued rain corridor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 09:40 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,376,196 times
Quote:
Illinois above average, Alabama & Georgia above average, Kentucky below average?
Maybe higher soil moistures? The rains seem to be concentrated on KY this year.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:52 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,281,107 times
Yesterday's highs along Florida's east coast from south to north. Lots of records broken.

Dry Tortugas NP: 93F - daily
Key West: 90F - tied monthly
Key West NAS: 91F - monthly
Marathon: 94F - monthly
Curry Hammock SP: 92F - monthly
Duck Key: 91F
Homestead: 97F - monthly
Perrine 4W: 97F - monthly
Kendall: 97F - monthly
Miami NWSFO: 96F - monthly
Miami Intl: 96F - tied monthly
Miami Beach: 95F - monthly
Hialeah: 96F - tied monthly
Opa Locka: 97F - monthly
North Miami Beach: 94F - monthly
Hollywood North Perry: 97F - monthly
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl: 96F - monthly
Fort Lauderdale: 96F - monthly
Fort Lauderdale Exec Ap: 99F - monthly
Pompano Beach: 98F - monthly
West Palm Beach: 96F - daily
Stuart Ap: 91F
Stuart: 94F
Ft Pierce ARC: 91F
Ft Pierce: 94F - daily
Ft Pierce SLC Intl: 96F - monthly
Vero Beach Ap: 95F - tied monthly
Palm Bay: 93F
Melbourne Intl: 93F - tied monthly
Melbourne WFO: 92F

Old 04-27-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Maybe higher soil moistures? The rains seem to be concentrated on KY this year.
I'm think that, or the sub tropical jet will be running through that latitude this summer

Look where the jet is typically positioned during an El Nino

Old 04-27-2015, 10:30 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,523,397 times
Quote:
Geez. Average low in the 80s.

That month saw 5 days in a row of 100F in Daytona Beach. And very little rain.

History : Weather Underground
Yeah, I remember that dreadful month all too well. All those lows in the 80's and maxing out at 98 degrees - oh man. It was very difficult to keep the house below 80 degrees since the AC couldn't keep up. I was convinced that global warming was running out of control, and it was the start of doomsday.

That notion was reinforced when we went up to north Florida to visit my friend's mom for the 4th of July. That was when the huge fires were going - does anybody on here recall those? Driving up from Orlando, the entire northern part of the sky was dominated by a massive wall of smoke - with I-95 shut down, we had to take back roads to Palatka (our destination.) Figuring if the road was open, that it would be safe, we didn't turn back, but pressed onward - right into the heart of the fire zone. Man, that smoke was NASTY. It was very difficult to see, and and air started getting bad inside the car, even with the AC on recirc. We actually passed through a section where actual flames were burning along the side of the road, licking at the tires of my Rodeo. Scary? Oh yeah. Afterwards, everybody said we were fools to keep going. Oh well.

We got to Palatka, which was safe from the fires, but was covered in smoke, and jammed-packed with evacuees from the fire zones. Total doomsday-type atmosphere. That evening, however, the skies opened up and rain came down, torrential rains which stopped the spread of the fires. If it wasn't for the rains that day, there is little doubt that the fires would have burned clear across the state - it was that bad. I think at the peak, they had firefighters from 47 (!) different states fighting those fires.

I think this experience is the main reason I desperately wish to live in a cool, WET climate, one where drought is extremely rare. Extreme heat wave + drought + fires is a combination I NEVER want to see again. For this reason, I've ruled out upper Michigan as a relocation choice, due to the history of drought and fires in that reason. Can't take the chance.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I think this experience is the main reason I desperately wish to live in a cool, WET climate, one where drought is extremely rare. Extreme heat wave + drought + fires is a combination I NEVER want to see again. For this reason, I've ruled out upper Michigan as a relocation choice, due to the history of drought and fires in that reason. Can't take the chance.
How about New England?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:35 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,523,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How about New England?
It's on my short list - you bet!

Old 04-27-2015, 10:56 AM

https://twitter.com/ryanmaue/status/592733328983400448

Old 04-27-2015, 11:25 AM

83,550 posts, read 75,414,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Link says moderate drought conditions is making the heat worse.
I read a nice report once that showed and explained how dry conditions helps and makes temps hotter. Pretty interesting. Not going by days worth. more like weeks and months worth. Ground has to be really dried out and of course pattern favor a south/SW flow.

We're getting lucky up here. Something tells me the Mid Atlantic would be torching and we would be well above normal if these troughs weren't keeping that SE Ridge squashed.

Look at current. Miami 92° 1pm. North Carolina in the 60s. Trough is backwards pushing in westward but still sending a north flow down. Mini SE Ridge not strong enough to push north yet.

Negative NAO/Blocking preventing that ULL from leaving Maine which is keeping troughiness in NorthEast

Old 04-27-2015, 11:48 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,462,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
That notion was reinforced when we went up to north Florida to visit my friend's mom for the 4th of July. That was when the huge fires were going - does anybody on here recall those? Driving up from Orlando, the entire northern part of the sky was dominated by a massive wall of smoke - with I-95 shut down, we had to take back roads to Palatka (our destination.) Figuring if the road was open, that it would be safe, we didn't turn back, but pressed onward - right into the heart of the fire zone. Man, that smoke was NASTY. It was very difficult to see, and and air started getting bad inside the car, even with the AC on recirc. We actually passed through a section where actual flames were burning along the side of the road, licking at the tires of my Rodeo. Scary? Oh yeah. Afterwards, everybody said we were fools to keep going. Oh well.

We got to Palatka, which was safe from the fires, but was covered in smoke, and jammed-packed with evacuees from the fire zones. Total doomsday-type atmosphere. That evening, however, the skies opened up and rain came down, torrential rains which stopped the spread of the fires. If it wasn't for the rains that day, there is little doubt that the fires would have burned clear across the state - it was that bad. I think at the peak, they had firefighters from 47 (!) different states fighting those fires.
No I don't remember that, I was only 4 at the time. In 2011 I was breathing smoke in southern Georgia from the spring wildfires, and saw some forest burned in Florida.

The same location 2009 vs now:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather