Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 09:26 PM

29,585 posts, read 19,695,428 times

Advertisements

^^

Is that depicting whole lake temperature? Or the buoy 50 miles out in the middle of the lake

I'm giving you data where people actually swim along the shoreline (where most water temperatures around the world are taken).

Here is a graphic from last August (remember when the lake was almost entirely frozen just 6 months earlier, and at it's coldest spring levels on record, with ice still actually on the lake in late May). It still managed to get into the mid 70's at the Chicago shoreline (Navy Pier). Who the hell swims 50 miles out in the middle of the lake anyways

and another random reading, this from early August 2010. Notice, the southern lake is in the mid to upper 70's...

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 05-03-2015 at 09:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 09:47 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,961,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^

Is that depicting whole lake temperature? Or the buoy 50 miles out in the middle of the lake

I'm giving you data where people actually swim along the shoreline (where most water temperatures around the world are taken).

Here is a graphic from last August (remember when the lake was almost entirely frozen just 6 months earlier, and at it's coldest spring levels on record). It still managed to get into the mid 70's at the Chicago shoreline (Navy Pier). Who the hell swims 50 miles out in the middle of the lake anyways

and another random reading, this from early August 2010. Notice, the southern lake is in the mid to upper 70's...

I think the website intent is for those who plan on playing in the shoreline of the lake. Check out the website. I was in Chicago once for the 4th of July weekend and the water felt pretty cold to me.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I think the website intent is for those who plan on playing in the shoreline of the lake. Check out the website. I was in Chicago once for the 4th of July weekend and the water felt pretty cold to me.

Not if there are talking about the southern end of the lake..... By late August it's in the upper 70's to around 80 degrees.... no doubt about it. Trust me. I know.

The problem with Lake Michigan is that there can be unexpected upwelling of very cold water depending on wind direction. You may have experienced that on your visit.

Another article.... This one back from 2000

Would you explain how the water temperature of Lake Michigan can be 79 when this summer has been so cool.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:42 PM

269 posts, read 238,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
this is gonna be an awesome may its going to feel more like June and I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes the hottest may ever! the 2nd and 3rd and 4th weeks of may feature highs in the mid 80s to 90 degrees every day just about and lows in the mid and upper 60s!
Well, I don't think it will be that hot (relative to average) here, but May 10th's high has now been upgraded to 91F.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:50 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,421,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weather Guy View Post
Well, I don't think it will be that hot (relative to average) here, but May 10th's high has now been upgraded to 91F.
yeah you are right now that I look at it most days are above average but not extremely above average most days are going to be around 2-4 degrees above average with warmest day at 10-12 degrees above average. I took all the days for may in accuweathers long range averaged them and it came out slightly warmer than last year with an average of 81.6 which is no where near the warmest may ever.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:26 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,622,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^

I got ridiculed for stating that the water temp on the beach is in the low 70s in summer rather than the mid 60s miles out in the sea.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
I got ridiculed for stating that the water temp on the beach is in the low 70s in summer rather than the mid 60s miles out in the sea.

How deep? Is that your guess or are there temperature reading taken on the shore?

This website shows shoreline readings such as Little Hampton, and Brighton reaches about 17C by late August/Sept. These aren't 60 miles out to sea are they?
http://www.seatemperature.org/europe...ighton-may.htm

The Chicago Park District takes reading at all Chicago beaches, NOAA operates many thermometer gauges on Lake Michigan including one at Navy Pier (about 6-7 meters depth), and one at the Chicago Crib which is 2 miles out. Both regularly get to the upper 70's to around 80 degrees by the end of each summer. Hot summers they have reached readings of 85F/29C.

And it's not just the shoreline that regularly gets to the mid to upper 70's but the entire southern end of the lake as depicted here

Even the mid lake buoy which is 80km off shore has hit 80F/27C... And it's position in a very deep part of the lake.

Quote:
The 80-degree water was recorded Friday by buoy on Lake Michigan, which is 43 nautical miles east-southeast of Milwaukee. The water depth of the buoy is 528 feet, and the temperature is measured about two feet below the water surface
Source: Lake Michigan Water Temperature Reaches 80 Degrees | NBC Chicago

A bit of rain today and tomorrow. Not an all day washout by any means

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 05-04-2015 at 05:35 AM..

Old 05-04-2015, 05:18 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,689,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Yesterday Xativa reached 35,5°C which is up to now the highest temperature in Spain and very likely also Europe in 2015.
But it's very likely that it will get topped today.
El Tiempo. Datos - Resúmenes diarios anteriores - Mapa - Agencia Estatal de Meteorología - AEMET. Gobierno de España
Murcia reached 37,1°C/98,8°F yesterday.
El Tiempo. Datos - Resúmenes diarios anteriores - Tabla - Agencia Estatal de Meteorología - AEMET. Gobierno de España

Old 05-04-2015, 05:43 AM

83,596 posts, read 75,582,622 times
Here's a chart of the average temps for Lake Michigan. Looks like this year is above last year but colder than previous years still.

But some years reached 72F "as an average" even as a whole for the Lake in August. So there were some spots that had to be mid-upper 70s maybe low 80s.

Here's Lake Erie (I know not near Chicago) but check out the normal daily temps

July & August mid to upper 70s.

Lake Erie Temperatures

Last one... here's a water temp graphic normal for this buoy middle south of Lake Michigan

And here was that buoy early August in 2010. weather pattern and air temp matter in how the Lakes warm/cool of course.

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/goes/blog/archives/6322

Old 05-04-2015, 07:46 AM

^^

Exactly, so if that mid lake buoy gets to the mid to upper 70's which is positioned over one of the deepest parts of the lake, then the southern shoreline should exceed that right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
But some years reached 72F "as an average" even as a whole for the Lake in August. So there were some spots that had to be mid-upper 70s maybe low 80s.
Yes, basically the whole southern end of the lake would be in the 70's, and the shoreline upper 70's to low 80's

JB tweeted... Only fly in the ointment is that there may be 2 typhoons recurving in the Pacific in the coming days, If they do, they might mess with the upper air patterns over North America...

https://twitter.com/BigJoeBastardi/s...63171309797377

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 05-04-2015 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather