Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2014, 04:18 PM

83,553 posts, read 75,454,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Here are the average highs of the coldest Octobers of the past 33 years in London, and the winter that followed.

Oct 1992: 12.2C
Dec 92: 7.8C
Jan 93: 10.3C
Feb 93: 7.3C

Oct 1993: 12.8C
Dec 93: 8.8C
Jan 94: 9.4C
Feb 94: 7.4C

Oct 1982: 14.1C
Dec 82: 8.0C
Jan 83: 10.1C
Feb 83: 5.5C

Oct 2012: 14.2C
Dec 12: 8.5C
Jan 13: 6.2C
Feb 13: 6.3C

Oct 2003: 14.5C
Dec 03: 8.3C
Jan 04: 8.5C
Feb 04: 8.9C

December is average 4/5 occasions, February is cold or very cold 4/5 occasions, January is mild on 3 occasions, average once and very cold once.
Been meaning to reply to this.. I want to do the same thing for here when I have a chance. Cool stuff. Nice work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 06:54 PM

83,553 posts, read 75,454,544 times
In couple weeks we'll see more winter forecasts come out. Unlike those who issue them in August its not about clicks in few weeks.

From Matt Rudkin in Indiana.

https://www.facebook.com/MattRudkinWsbt/pos...299131293544253

"The WSBT winter forecast will be given in a few weeks. I am taking advantage of the quiet weather tonight by digging into the old record books. We have daily observations from our area that date back to the 1800s! I'm looking through every month to find seasons/weather patterns that were similar to what we have experienced in the past 12 months. After this process is done (this takes SEVERAL days), we will then look at numerical weather models and compare their outlooks with how previous years ended up. We also take into consideration many other factors, which I'll share with you in the coming days as I continue the process.

Believe it or not, a lot of work goes on to prepare a seasonal outlook. It certainly is challenging, but also rewarding to see how much interest it has amongst all of you. No pressure, right?

Below are a few pictures of the data we keep in our forecast office."

Old 10-09-2014, 08:10 PM

29,559 posts, read 19,653,497 times
Interesting read about the Gulf of Alaska warm pool, and why Michael Ventrice expects it's warm anomaly to erode by November, and bump temperatures up in the eastern CONUS.

The Gulf of AK Warm Pool: Implication for November « WSI Blog

Old 10-11-2014, 05:12 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,392,451 times
Winter 2014/15 coldest in 100 years?

Posted Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:43:50

It’s October so inevitably the speculation about the coming winter is reaching fever pitch and there are press reports suggesting winter 2014/15 will be the UK’s coldest. Never mind the fact that most UK winters are damp affairs which bring little snow to the majority of Britain there’s always the chance the next one could be the ‘big one’. Quite why it should be is rarely explained in any detail and the evidence used to support the idea is often sketchy at best and at times appears to be non-existent.

Nonetheless, it’s impossible to categorically say the coming winter won’t rival the big freezes of 1947 and 1963. It’s of course very unlikely in any given year, but as they say, a stopped clock is right twice a day. Keep saying the same thing and eventually you’ll probably be right.
What’s my view on the prospects for the coming winter? I’ll add the usual caveat that on TWO the full winter forecast is issued in late November because my belief is it’s important to see how the autumn pans out in full. On balance I’d say the pattern we’ve seen during September and the early part of October is more likely to be followed by a milder rather than colder winter.
Do the seasonal models give any guidance? They shouldn’t be ignored but they still demonstrate a low skill level for our part of the world where we are on the border of different air masses. The September raw output from the UK Met office global model points towards a milder than average winter. On the other hand JAMSTEC which is a Japanese global model is pointing towards colder than average conditions. The latest runs I’ve looked at from the US CFSv2 model are suggesting a cold February with close to average conditions in December and January. You can really take your pick from these, but perhaps the conclusion at the moment would be ‘no strong signal’.

Another input being widely discussed this year is the October Pattern Index (OPI). My understanding is this is based on research done in Italy which has found a link between 500hPa heights in October and the development of the polar vortex in the winter months. A negative OPI apparently correlates with a weak polar vortex. A weak polar vortex increases the chance of cold arctic air being displaced down to our latitude in the winter months. The OPI is today running at -3.91 which is strongly negative, but this changes daily and we’ll need to wait until the end of the month before knowing the final figure. Nonetheless, if you’re hoping for a cold winter this may be the most encouraging signal right now.

There are many other things which can be looked at such as the ENSO cycle, other teleconnections, solar activity and stratospheric temperatures. Also lets not forget the great hope from early years of this century, the expected North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) index based on the forcing mechanism of sea surface temperature anomalies. There are also the more esoteric indicators which I always enjoy reading about such as the wax wings, squirrels and berries.

Where does all this leave us? Well not really much further down the track and there is the added complication of whether we’re currently in a period of colder or milder winters. In 2008 after a long run of predominantly mild winters things flipped and we had several cold ones. Last year of course brought one of the mildest winters on record and temperatures this year have been running well above average. Have we flipped back into a period when mild and wet winters are the norm with just an odd colder exception? Possibly.

Finally then, if I was forced to play my hand now and make a call on winter 2014/15 what would it be? It would be a very tentative call and not one I’d have too much confidence in. Nonetheless, I’d go for an average to mild winter again, but with most place seeing at least some snow. That in itself would be a big change from last year.

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoother/latest.aspx

I'd say the cold winter phase has passed now, sadly

Old 10-11-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Already seeing some anomalous warming in the stratosphere and nudging of the winter-time stratopsheric Polar Vortex.

https://twitter.com/WSI_Energy/statu...91759697788928

Old 10-11-2014, 10:13 AM

3,314 posts, read 2,219,122 times
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...recMonInd4.gif

Potential very wet january all over california

Old 10-11-2014, 02:20 PM

Andrew from the weather centre blog released region forecasts for this winter

The Weather Centre: 2014-2015 Winter Forecast Directory

Old 10-11-2014, 02:58 PM

26,432 posts, read 46,643,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Andrew from the weather centre blog released region forecasts for this winter

The Weather Centre: 2014-2015 Winter Forecast Directory
Wisconsin looks to be frigid and snowy. It appears my choice of Subaru a few years for commuting to work will pay off again.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:01 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,209,095 times
Has the eastern united states actually not had a cold winter in recent times. It seems like every year its cold there.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:02 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,238,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
Has the eastern united states actually not had a cold winter in recent times. It seems like every year its cold there.
2011-2012 was mild...one I would rather forget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather