Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 07:18 PM

83,739 posts, read 76,346,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
just absurd numbers
Nice map that shows the max but man I hate TWC for having a gap between NYC, Albany and Boston. NYC isn't everything on the map and looks deceiving for this area and CT.

Actual Minimum & Maximum temps today. http://www.weather.gov/ctp/ObsMaps

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Wow! 70s up into South Dakota. Does anyone know if any records were broken?
Link to all records.. let us know.

http://nws.noaa.gov/view/validProds.php?prod=RER

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Cambium...Could you see what the coldest the GFS is predicting for West Palm Beach, FL? Thanks in advance!
48F Sunday 7am but short lived. Mostly 50s/60s.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:21 PM

From link above..

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 70 DEGREES WAS SET AT PIERRE SD TODAY.
THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 67 SET IN 1987.

...RECORDS BROKEN ACROSS THE TRI STATE AREA...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 79 DEGREES WAS SET AT GOODLAND KANSAS
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 74 DEGREES SET IN 1987.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 82 DEGREES WAS SET AT HILL CITY KANSAS
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 71 DEGREES SET IN 1996.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 77 DEGREES WAS SET AT BURLINGTON COLORADO
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 72 DEGREES SET IN 1987.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 80 DEGREES WAS SET AT MCCOOK NEBRASKA
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 72 DEGREES SET IN 1996.

AN UNOFFICIAL RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 77 DEGREES WAS SET AT YUMA COLORADO
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 70 DEGREES SET IN 1987.
THIS READING IS FROM AN UNOFFICIAL WEATHER STATION. OFFICIAL DATA ARE
REPORTED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS AT THE END OF THE MONTH.

AN UNOFFICIAL RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 81 DEGREES WAS SET AT TRIBUNE KANSAS
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 75 DEGREES SET IN 1943.
REPORTED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS AT THE END OF THE MONTH.

AN UNOFFICIAL RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 81 DEGREES WAS SET AT COLBY KANSAS
TODAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 76 DEGREES SET IN 2009.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:40 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,432,988 times
I see negative one in the five-day forecast. That has never happened anywhere I've lived (in my lifetime). WTF.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:42 PM

29,590 posts, read 19,826,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I see negative one in the five-day forecast. That has never happened anywhere I've lived (in my lifetime). WTF.
^^

You must be young and did not live through the barbaric winters of the late 70's and early 80's

Wait until the AMO Index goes negative again in the next decade or so...

Weatherbell does have beautiful products

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue

Quote:

This weekend’s push of mild, Pacific air brought thawing temperatures to the area. Saturday’s high at O’Hare airport reached 41 degrees, while Midway topped out at 43, making this the area’s mildest day since January 24th. With no snow on the ground, and a mild, southwest wind, St. Louis, MO reached 70 degrees, tying a record for the date. Across the Chicago area, partial snowmelt, and a steep temperature inversion is expected to promote damp, drizzly weather on Sunday. The mild temperature regime is not to last long. Computer forecast guidance suggests a return of polar air, accompanied by blustery north winds and periodic light snow beginning Wednesday. The core of the frigid air mass is to make its way across the Midwest Thursday and Friday, bringing subzero wind chill temperatures.
http://chicagoweathercenter.com/blog...ic-chill-looms

Last edited by chicagogeorge; 02-07-2015 at 07:59 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Look at that dive! Finally Northeast gets it without the Midwest getting it. Something we been wondering about recently. Perhaps these are the more sharper temp drops for the northeast as opposed to coming from the West/MidWest where it has time to moderate as it moves across? With this setup it seems more pure. Canadian Pure. :-)

Old 02-07-2015, 08:05 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,879,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Look at that dive! Finally Northeast gets it without the Midwest getting it. Something we been wondering about recently. Perhaps these are the more sharper temp drops for the northeast as opposed to coming from the West/MidWest where it has time to moderate as it moves across? With this setup it seems more pure. Canadian Pure. :-)
I think the trough is in a different position: the center of cold is in eastern Canada rather the Canadian Praries. For a brief moment, it appears that the coldest air mass south of the Arctic is over New England. Though I'm not sure exactly what the "tropopause potential temperature" indicates how cold the airmass is, or something a bit different. There's a weird cold air mass forming at the Arizona-Mexico border going southwest across Baja California and then into the Pacific with a tail affecting the southern California coast.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:23 PM

Chicago reached 41 degrees today with a 14" snow cover. That's only happened 8 other times since 1884!

Saturday's Mild Temperatures Above Such Deep Snow Cover Were Rare

Perfect example of how the 850mb level controls the surface temps. Top Down Approach.

850mb temp over Davenport, Iowa was 15°C at 00z weather balloon launch. That's nuts this time of year and in fact near record. Look at the 7pmEST 850mb temp map. 10C line up to Minneapolis. Wow!

Seeing this makes me keep saying Spring is so near for the U.S. Looking like a strong south push.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:23 PM

269 posts, read 239,644 times
Quote:
It is. Polar Vortex dropping south yet no media hype this time for a winter since Jan 1st that's been colder than the hyped up year last year.

Here you go. From latest GFS18z.

Looks very dry until a storm in the long range on the 21st time frame (which could change)

It says you'll be 27.6°F by Friday 7am.
By 7pm Saturday will be in the 30s.
26.6° Sunday 7am.

Temps at 4500' will drop below freezing by Friday afternoon. (Impressive dig south with that!)

Dewpoints go below 0 on Thursday the 19th and surface temps in to the 20s again. That's still 12 days away so expect that to possibly change drastically.

Thanks! It looks pretty cold, I was hoping for a chance of snow but it looks wayyyyy to dry for that. I'd give you reputation, but it won't let me give you any more.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:28 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,170,254 times
Quote:
Chicago reached 41 degrees today with a 14" snow cover. That's only happened 8 other times since 1884!

Saturday's Mild Temperatures Above Such Deep Snow Cover Were Rare

Perfect example of how the 850mb level controls the surface temps. Top Down Approach.

850mb temp over Davenport, Iowa was 15°C at 00z weather balloon launch. That's nuts this time of year and in fact near record. Look at the 7pmEST 850mb temp map. 10C line up to Minneapolis. Wow!

Seeing this makes me keep saying Spring is so near for the U.S. Looking like a strong south push.
The snow cover for Chicagoland is recorded at 06:00 (or 12Z). Why 12Z nationally as opposed to, say, 07:00 local standard time in each time zone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather