Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 12:41 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,749,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Vancouver is a lot colder than London -as i mentioned before ,London is the same as Christchurch temperature wise - i really don't think sun or cloud at those low temperatures would make a difference - 8c and sunny here feels the same as 8c and cloudy (it just looks nicer) - after a 10c sunny day here it feels extremely cold in the evening compared with cloudy winter day evenings - thats how Christchurch will feel -= btw why do they wear shorts there in winter when it's 10c ?
In the olden days i always noted the mid-day temps in the daily newspaper - Stanley,B Aires,Cape Town ,C'church and Sydney were usually the winter locations - and always remember seeing Stanley and C'church in single figures throughout January etc - all the others were in double figs.

as for Dundedin v Nelson - that i don't know - i can' t remember singling Nelson out except for saying the winter nights may feel colder there than a lot of winter nights in London .
I'd ignore what Brits say as well tbf - they will probably pretend it's tropical or something to satisfy their preferences lol
Motueka has colder minimums and more winter sunshine than Dunedin -a simple yes/no answer should be easy by applying your logic.

Brits here don't think it's tropical -they typically have spent time in Spain, Greece etc, so have experienced warm climates. What they say is that winters are warmer,and summers longer and more intense.

Christchurch averages 12C for a winter maximum, so it's going to have single digit days -I can remember days of around 5C maximum. Goes the other way though -it had 22C a few days ago.

People weat shorts at 10C, because it's likely to get warmer during the day. Shorts are very common here in Motueka during winter, even though it has cooler minimums than Christchurch -the winter climate has practical implications that aren't easily discerned by looking at averages and equating that with a clear understanding of what a climate actually feels like -your statement indicates that you underestimate sun strength and that is way you struggle with the concept of shorts at 10C.

Vancouver seem much the same to London other than rainfall, but I would choose London for being a bit warmer.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-20-2017 at 12:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 12:54 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,376,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Motueka has colder minimums and more winter sunshine than Dunedin -a simple yes/no answer should be easy by applying your logic.

Brits here don't think it's tropical -they typically have spent time in Spain, Greece etc, so have experienced warm climates. What they say is that winters are warmer,and summers longer and more intense.

Christchurch averages 12C for a winter maximum, so it's going to have single digit days -I can remember days of around 5C maximum. Goes the other way though -it had 22C a few days ago.

People weat shorts at 10C, because it's likely to get warmer during the day. Shorts are very common here in Motueka during winter, even though it has cooler minimums than Christchurch -the winter climate has practical implications that aren't easily discerned by looking at averages and equating that with a clear understanding of what a climate actually feels like -your statement indicates that you underestimate sun strength and that is way you struggle with the concept of shorts at 10C.
Dundedin v Motueka is more difficult as Motueka has much higher day temps - so it will stay milder for longer when the sun goes down comp/with C'church - i was comparing C'church with London as the daytime temps are a bit closer . Motueka may feel colder after a certain time . It's a psycological thing - if it's mild and sunny in the day it will feel colder by contrast .

Brits in Moteuka ? ,not Church - Church summers are colder day/night than London so it would be rum if they said summers were an improvement there - don't get that at all .

as far as i'm concerned ,apart from a few towns like Moteuka the south island is pretty much like the sunnier parts of southern England barring the shouting - it's not like we're talking about Greece or Tunisia here - winters are brighter there ,so that makes for an improvement in my books - but the high UV in summer is very poor value for the poor summers you get there .

Old 08-20-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Dundedin v Motueka is more difficult as Motueka has much higher day temps - so it will stay milder for longer when the sun goes down comp/with C'church - i was comparing C'church with London as the daytime temps are a bit closer . Motueka may feel colder after a certain time . It's a psycological thing - if it's mild and sunny in the day it will feel colder by contrast .

Brits here = Moteuka ,not Church - Church summers are colder day/night than London so it would be rum if they said summers were an improvement there - don't get that at all .

as far as i'm concerned ,apart from a few towns like Mopteuka the south island is pretty much like the sunnier parts of southern England barring the shouting - it's not like we're talking about Greece or Tunisia here - winters are brighter there ,so that makes for an improvement in my books - but the high UV in summer is very poor value for the poor summers you get there .
Why is the maximum temperature difference between Motueka and Dunedin significant, when it's less than the difference between Christchurch and London? -A yes /no should be easy, if you apply your logic consistently. Does Dunedin feel warmer than Motueka during winter, over the whole day?

Brits say the summer seem to start earlier, last longer, and feel more intense, even in places like Christchurch.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Why is the maximum temperature difference between Motueka and Dunedin significant, when it's less than the difference between Christchurch and London? -A yes /no should be easy, if you apply your logic consistently. Does Dunedin feel warmer than Motueka during winter, over the whole day?

Brits say the summer seem to start earlier, last longer, and feel more intense, even in places like Christchurch.

i'd ignore the Brits - they see what they see fit .

i'd listen to the Canary date palms instead - do you have any of them in C'church ?

Nelson is warmer than Dunedin anyway - but at night i'd say there would be little difference in the feel or say Dunedin would feel less cold at late eve/ midnight - and would feel less cold in the early hours too -only in the day would Nelson feel warmer

Old 08-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:

i'd listen to the Canary date palms instead - do you have any of them in C'church ?
Quite a few friends and family members have spent time in Britain (London in particular), and they say that London is cold and damp in winter, and nice in summer much like what Brits say.

Christchurch has palms, although it's not really a palm sort of place.

Any clear answer on the Motueka/Dunedin question? Remember, over the whole day, as applied to Chch/London - your previous logic should provide you with a powerful tool for discerning such matters.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Quite a few friends and family members have spent time in Britain (London in particular), and they say that London is cold and damp in winter, and nice in summer much like what Brits say.

Christchurch has palms, although it's not really a palm sort of place.

Any clear answer on the Motueka/Dunedin question? -your previous logic should provide you with a powerful tool for discerning such matters.
but are there Cidp's in Christchurch ? i mean they are more reliable than folk from abroad surely ?

Moteuka may have a slight milder feel at the middle of the day/afternoon as the temp is high enough to get some slight feel from the sun -but in Church i'd say it was too chilly to notice the sun that much ,except on odd days .

We do get 6-10c sunny days here too - i particularly like them ,but it's still cold and you need to dress accordingly -only the posties go around in shorts all winter

Old 08-20-2017, 01:32 PM

13,504 posts, read 9,058,436 times
Quote:

Nelson is warmer than Dunedin anyway - but at night i'd say there would be little difference in the feel or say Dunedin would feel less cold at late eve/ midnight - and would feel less cold in the early hours too -only in the day would Nelson feel warmer
Christchurch does indeed have Phoenix canariensis, as well as other palms growing there...
growingontheedge.net - View topic - Christchurch Botanical Gardens Palm Update

http://growingontheedge.net/viewtopic.php?p=80202

Old 08-20-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Cheers for that flaming - those trees above are in Church ? they're splendid .... wonder where they are exactly ?

C'church Botanical gardens on the link - sounds similar to Kew

OK - seems the palms are located close to the coast in a kind of micro climate and not in the Church itself - which kind of make sense

Last edited by TorshavnSunHolidays; 08-20-2017 at 01:49 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
but are there Cidp's in Christchurch ? i mean they are more reliable than folk from abroad surely ?

Moteuka may have a slight milder feel at the middle of the day/afternoon as the temp is high enough to get some slight feel from the sun -but in Church i'd say it was too chilly to notice the sun that much ,except on odd days .

We do get 6-10c sunny days here too - i particularly like them ,but it's still cold and you need to dress accordingly -only the posties go around in shorts all winter
Yep, CIDPs grow in Christchurch -very easily.

Christchurch's coldest month is 6.6C, Dunedin is 6.6C, Motueka is 6.9C, London is 5.1C. So Christchurch and London have a far greater difference between them than Motueka and Dunedin -Your logic is all over the place.

Sun in Christchurch doesn't feel much different to here, which is warm in winter. Your underestimation of that factor, clouds your argument.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:49 PM

13,504 posts, read 9,058,436 times
Quote:
Cheers for that flaming - those trees above are in Church ? they're splendid .... wonder where they are exactly ?

C'church Botanical gardens on the link - sounds similar to Kew
I think those photos were taken in the seaside town of Sumner in Christchurch...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather