Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 04:02 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,372,307 times

Advertisements

anyway - we are talking about broadly similar climates here .

I will agree that there is a world of difference between Church and say Manchester ,Glasgow though - but it is far closer to Porstmouth than Portsmouth is to the Van .

The Van is cold and ridiculously wet in winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 04:04 PM

13,488 posts, read 9,034,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
I suppose in the palm world little differences make all the difference .

2142 seems fair .

22.7 summer looks very Porstmouthesque - 11.3 in the day at least is warmer in winter -we are agreed on that .

Porstmouth can't be too far away from growing those things though
Don't forget in averages a little difference is actually huge...

I tried & tried to grow Queen palms, even supposedly more cold resisitant & cooler growing varieties. The only one which did actually grow (& I assume is still in my garden) was a seedling I planted right up against a south facing wall, but it took 3 years to push out its first pinnate frond & was as slow as a snail stuck in molasses...

Old 08-20-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Christchurch is warmer than Torquay too, the winter average highs are warmer even than the Scilly Isles & warm temperatures can be recorded in winter, something that never happens in the UK.
only in the day flaming -but night time Scilly walks all over the Church - hell ,even where i am is warmer at night in winter (minimum) than there lol it's freaking bone chilling

Old 08-20-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Don't forget in averages a little difference is actually huge...

I tried & tried to grow Queen palms, even supposedly more cold resisitant & cooler growing varieties. The only one which did actually grow (& I assume is still in my garden) was a seedling I planted right up against a south facing wall, but it took 3 years to push out its first pinnate frond & was as slow as a snail stuck in molasses...
do you think dampness might have been a factor -or the cold damp we get in mid winter ?

Old 08-20-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
only in the day flaming -but night time Scilly walks all over the Church - hell ,even where i am is warmer at night in winter (minimum) than there lol it's freaking bone chilling
Yes but for many palms daytime highs are more important than overnight lows... Also don't forget that the weather station is in the Botanic Gardens, right in the city centre & by the sea the minimums will be higher.

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
well you did say it feels warm everywhere when i was talking about isolated sheltered spots
I meant the sun feels warm regardless of where you -the sun feels warm out in a paddock, or sitting under the verandah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You'll have to show me where I said that it never feels cold.

There's only one debate as I see it -whether a place like Christchurch, feels colder than London, due to having a minimum in the coldest month that is only 0.2C colder, and whether greater sunshine hours also makes it feel colder.

There are no denials that Christchurch doesn't get cold -it does in my opinion, but it also gets warm, and on balance, I think it feels warmer than London during winter -that's what people have consistently told me, including friends or family , and these people don't seem to have an agenda, or bias -not even particularly interested in climate, for the most part.
well i agree with a fair bit of that - Christchurch is an improvement -but London is still nearer to the Church than the Van .

The Van is colder anyway -but much wetter . Church is sunnier - London DAY temps prob sit between the two most of the day .

so its

Church - sunnier
Lond - drier
Van - wetter

Church wins ,Lond 2nd ,Van 3rd

but you were still very naughty leaving the Church to one side tut ,tut

Old 08-20-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
do you think dampness might have been a factor -or the cold damp we get in mid winter ?
It's the temperatures. Too cold by day in winter & takes a long time to warm up in the spring, by the time the temperatures are high enough for growth to start it cools down again not long after, it just isn't warm enough long enough for them to put on enough new growth so they slowly go into decline...

Old 08-20-2017, 04:13 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,691,780 times
Quote:
well i agree with a fair bit of that - Christchurch is an imporvement -but London is still nearer to the Church than the Van .

The Van is colder anyway -but much wetter . Church is sunnier - London DAY temps prob sit between the two most of the day .

so its

Church - sunnier
Lond - drier
Van - wetter

Church wins ,Lond 2nd ,Van 3rd

but you were still very naughty leaving the Church to one side tut ,tut
No, because wearing shorts isn't unusual in Christchurch during winter -is that true of London or Vancouver?

London is wetter than Christchurch for rain days -what really counts.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
It's the temperatures. Too cold by day in winter & takes a long time to warm up in the spring, by the time the temperatures are high enough for growth to start it cools down again not long after, it just isn't warm enough long enough for them to put on enough new growth so they slowly go into decline...

ahh OK - i'm guessing Christchurch must be about the limit for the Queen palm - do they grow in Europe north of the Med ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather