Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 03:42 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,384,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Christchurch is 2.7C warmer during the day, and has 230 hours more sunshine -not a big difference, but enough to make a difference.

Queen palms need a longer period of active growth than the UK provides.

Church isn't 2.7 warmer than say Torquay in the day - and i'm still not convinced about that sun figure - why haven't you corrected it on there if you know it's false ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 03:47 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,877,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
i always classify March as a winter month tbf -albeit a slightly improved one compared with January because it feels less damp and a better chance of sunny days . 117 hrs

I also view March as a cold month with occasional days for drinking coffee in the courtyard (not in shorts) and unreliable changing weather sun/cloud/sun/cloud - besides, the house is cold even if outside is pleasant . Some days can be really nice though ,they are in the minority -this year was exceptional with a few sunbathing days - sometimes it can be very cold .

Nights are also bloody cold in March -to my mind the coldest of the entire year - backing up what i said earlier - any siun in the day will make the evening feel colder than it is .

So its still winter .

It still feels wintery ,evenings and nights are cold to the bone ,it gets down to 3c - December or March .

Christchurch is the same as that - even colder at night

If you can sunbathe during your winter, then you're agreeing with me that it isn't that bad.

It gets down to 3C here in summer - no big deal though.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Church isn't 2.7 warmer than say Torquay in the day - and i'm still not convinced about that sun figure - why haven't you corrected it on there if you know it's false ?
also not sure why Aussies would find it chilly in NZ if it never feels cold lol

Old 08-20-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I was comparing Portsmouth to Christchurch, not Torquay.

Portsmouth has an annual maximum of 14.5C, while Chch has 17.2C. Look up the Niwa climate stats for NZ.

I don't do the wiki changing thing, and it wouldn't make Chch any more/less sunny anyway.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
also not sure why Aussies would find it chilly in NZ if it never feels cold lol
You'll have to show me where I said that it never feels cold.

There's only one debate as I see it -whether a place like Christchurch, feels colder than London, due to having a minimum in the coldest month that is only 0.2C colder, and whether greater sunshine hours also makes it feel colder.

There are no denials that Christchurch doesn't get cold -it does in my opinion, but it also gets warm, and on balance, I think it feels warmer than London during winter -that's what people have consistently told me, including friends or family , and these people don't seem to have an agenda, or bias -not even particularly interested in climate, for the most part.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:52 PM

13,541 posts, read 9,113,408 times
Quote:
so they do better in very equitable climates with balanced sun distribution by the sound of it -as year round Church is barely 1c warmer in the day on average vs Portsmouth ,and a few hours sunnier .
Christchurch is warmer than Portsmouth in term of maximum temperatures, the coldest month July has an average high of 11.3C & the warmest month January 22.7C. The annual sunshine is 2142.5 hrs.These figures are from Christchurch Botanic Gardens... So it's quite a difference & it's those warmer maximums that enables them to grow Queen palms.
https://www.niwa.co.nz/education-and...ources/climate

Old 08-20-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
If you can sunbathe during your winter, then you're agreeing with me that it isn't that bad.

It gets down to 3C here in summer - no big deal though.
No ,no ,no .... sunbathing in March isn't the norm - this March was more like April or even May - most March days are around 10c /11c .

Sunbathing days for me are around 2- 3 days a year in March on average . 20c is about the mark it must reach . It snowed March 2013 ,the last time it snowed in fact .

All i can say is it is slightly preferable to January for weather -but i wouldn't want to be sleeping out in it - it is one of the 5 months that i don't include when it talk about 'acceptable' weather in the UK -or this bit of it anyway

Old 08-20-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
You'll have to show me where I said that it never feels cold.
well you did say it feels warm everywhere when i was talking about isolated sheltered spots

Old 08-20-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
Christchurch is warmer than Portsmouth in term of maximum temperatures, the coldest month July has an average high of 11.3C & the warmest month January 22.7C. The annual sunshine is 2142.5 hrs.These figures are from Christchurch Botanic Gardens... So it's quite a difference & it's those warmer maximums that enables them to grow Queen palms.
https://www.niwa.co.nz/education-and...ources/climate
I suppose in the palm world little differences make all the difference .

2142 seems fair .

22.7 summer looks very Porstmouthesque - 11.3 in the day at least is warmer in winter -we are agreed on that .

Porstmouth can't be too far away from growing those things though

Old 08-20-2017, 04:00 PM

13,541 posts, read 9,113,408 times
Quote:
Christchurch is warmer than Torquay too, the winter average highs are warmer even than the Scilly Isles & warm temperatures can be recorded in winter, something that never happens in the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather