Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 04:17 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
No, because wearing shorts isn't unusual in Christchurch during winter -is that true of London or Vancouver?

London is wetter than Christchurch for rain days -what really counts.
well ,i wouldn't be wearing shorts in March ,and never have done or seen anyone wear them - so that answers that questions pretty comprehensively lol

i'm going to have to find a street cam of C'church somewhere pmsl

The only time folk wear shorts is when it's over 20c -in UK ,Spain ,France - you name it - women in Spain wear fur coats at 18c on sunny days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 04:22 PM

13,484 posts, read 9,025,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
ahh OK - i'm guessing Christchurch must be about the limit for the Queen palm - do they grow in Europe north of the Med ?
They do, but only in very mild climates... There is a big one growing in Brest, Brittany:
growingontheedge.net - View topic - Syagrus Romanzoffiana Litoralis - hardy or hype?

Old 08-20-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
They do, but only in very mild climates... There is a big one growing in Brest, Brittany:
growingontheedge.net - View topic - Syagrus Romanzoffiana Litoralis - hardy or hype?
Brest ?????? that climate is freaking terrible - wow -that is about the worst climate in Brittany - surely hell if it grows there it should be fine in Pompey - does Brest get extra mild days in January or something ?

should add that Scilly looks a better bet than Brest in all the winter months too - Brest is a tiny bit sunnier some of the time but warmer night and day

Last edited by TorshavnSunHolidays; 08-20-2017 at 04:36 PM..

Old 08-20-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Brest ?????? that climate is freaking terrible - wow -that is about the worst climate in Brittany - surely hell if it grows there it should be fine in Pompey - does Brest get extra mild days in January or something ?

should add that Scilly looks a better bet than Brest in all the winter months too - Brest is a tiny bit sunnier some of the time but warmer night and day
Well they don't grow in Portsmouth or the Scilly Isles lol...

That palm may be growing in a better micro-climate too, so may be in a warmer spot than wherever the Brest weather station is situated, I don't think they could grow everywhere there & certainly not out in the open somewhere...

Old 08-20-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Well they don't grow in Portsmouth or the Scilly Isles lol...

That palm may be growing in a better micro-climate too, so may be in a warmer spot than wherever the Brest weather station is situated, I don't think they could grow everywhere there & certainly not out in the open somewhere...

thats really bamboozled me -thought you were going to come up with the usual suspects - Oviedo,Vigo even La Rochelle at a push -but never in a thousand years ... oh my

1500 hours of sun too - the least sunniest place south of Birmingham i'd say lol

Torquay must have slightly better winters than Brest too (and sunnier ) -that has many sheltered spots - that would be where i'd grow mine

Old 08-20-2017, 05:10 PM

There are a couple growing in Fouesnant, south of Brest, too. This link shows their growth over a few years...
syagrus en bretagne

Old 08-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
There are a couple growing in Fouesnant, south of Brest, too. This link shows their growth over a few years...
syagrus en bretagne
looks healthy enough -nice protection too by that wall , on that forum they seem to be more concerned about the freezing temps and hardiness zones , sounds like the Cidp in all but name lol .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quimper
Quimper is another nearby station -slightly better than Brest -but not by much .

Portsmouth looks almost identical in winter to this place except for the slightly lower daytime temps around late winter - so crucial .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teignmouth Teigmouth very similar to Quimper too

Last edited by TorshavnSunHolidays; 08-20-2017 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-21-2017, 12:24 AM

269 posts, read 199,734 times
Ahhhhh, has this argument finally ended. lol.

Btw, it was 16C and sunny today in Auckland, and I was sitting out in the sun at midday, and it felt very warm, almost hot, could definelty wear shorts in that weather, although I can't wait for it to get down to 6C tonight.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:28 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,541,058 times
Facepalming at Torshavn not realizing the sun in December at 8'C doesn't feel warm because the angle is only 15°... It doesn't feel much warmer than in Sweden at that timw because they're both below the threshold were the sun can actually be felt. The sun can barely be felt at all below 20°, and 30° is where it starts getting warm.

In Christchurch the sun angle in December is about 23°, so not that warm but at least feelable. But by August, the angle will start rising above 30°. Try instead to feel the sun in March at 8'C, not in December. Even in March here, with snow cover, on a sunny and calm day, you can be topless at only 5'C, and that's with a 25° angle. Couldn't do the same in February when the angle is only 15°.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:33 AM

269 posts, read 199,734 times
During winter, in Auckland, sunny days usually have 14C-18C highs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather