Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 02:48 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,056,183 times

Advertisements

59°F/15°C or so. It was in the morning of a day that was going to have a high over 80F. It felt pretty cold, but I knew the cold would be worth it in the afternoon.

Generally it needs to be 25C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 02:52 PM

5,271 posts, read 4,680,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
You would walk around London and Vancouver in winter, in shorts and short sleeves?
I rarely wear shorts, not because I feel cold, but because I don't like the look they have on me so much. Just sometimes for a change of look.

As for short sleeves, which I wear more commonly, I'd say that a sunny windless 9 °C afternoon is tempting

It really depends on my mood in that moment, because I don't always wear short sleeves, even within the same weather conditions, just because of the look, not because of the temperature. At 7 °C without rain as a high temperature I usually don't wear anything heavier than a long sleeved cotton shirt, though

Old 04-23-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
No, you won't. I've seen plenty of people being outside in shorts for much longer than that at -10C without "literally freezing." However, at -20C, one can certainly get frostbite after several minutes if there is a breeze. At -30C you'll definitely freeze after 10 or 15 minutes. That is, the surface of the skin will freeze, although deep frostbite will take longer to set in (at least in my experience).

Oceanic winters are mild, so it's possible for many people. I don't own long pants in Geneva for instance, except for formal occasions (but those aren't jeans). The rainy days are the most annoying for this type of dress code, more so than the coldest mornings.
-10 °C feels somewhat fine to me as long as I'm dressed properly (even though it's annoying for the nose and lips, at least IMO), but I wouldn't do any prolonged activity outside. Not more than 30 minutes outside for comfort, and this is dressed properly.

Wearing shorts and short sleeves, I can stay up to 2 minutes outside, but then my arms and legs will be quite cold when I get back inside. Not frostbite, not surface skin freezing, but still cold. I've done this.

I can't imagine how cold they must feel walking outside wearing just shorts in -10 °C for much longer than 10 minutes. Maybe they just have a really good blood circulation, I don't know. It must be extremely rare to find a person like that, though. I've once seen a group of people who were wearing shorts and short sleeves in, I don't remember exactly, something like -15 °C (5 °F), but, guess what? They were recording everything with their mobile phones, so that cannot be normal, and they just did that to have some laughs. And I doubt they had been walking for more than 5 minutes outside. Meanwhile, I was wearing heavy winter clothes plus a scarf. It was pungent and very annoying.

-20 °C is colder than a freezer, which is usually kept at -18 °C. Breathing becomes uncomfortable, at least IMO, and I have to apply a cold weather cream on my face. I have to cover my mouth and nose, because it's so cold. I know many people will not, but I have a lower cold tolerance than those people.

I have been outside in short sleeves (but not shorts) with this temperature for about 20 seconds blowing soap bubbles with a friend of mine. And that felt like a very long amount of time. It felt colder than a glass of water left in the freezer for 3 days

-30 °C is literally Arctic. I've never dared to wear summer clothes with this temperature. It would be a big mistake. I have not experienced this temperature often (maybe a couple of times since 2010), because, in order to find a reliable -30 °C, I should buy a ticket to Iqaluit, and that's something I'd regret very quickly.

I hate cold weather, anything below -5 °C is too cold to be comfortable for an undefinite amount of time.

-1 °C or -2 °C as occasional winter lows feel very good, though.

My comfort range for an undefinite amount of time is around 5/25 °C, anything outside of that range starts to become annoying after a while.

Wearing shorts and short sleeves in London in January is more than possible, it's usually not cold, but of course the look might be a bit weird at times, especially if it's heavily overcast, rainy and windy. Even if it's just cloudy and windy, 5 °C can look weird and inappropriate for the season. It doesn't feel bad, though.

I have more than 250 clothing items in my bedroom (typical), suitable for every kind of weather and look, but I often don't know what to wear, how I want to look like during that day. The choice is so vast. I can look very different if I wear different clothes

Old 04-23-2016, 04:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,457,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post

I can't imagine how cold they must feel walking outside wearing just shorts in -10 °C for much longer than 10 minutes. Maybe they just have a really good blood circulation, I don't know. It must be extremely rare to find a person like that, though. I've once seen a group of people who were wearing shorts and short sleeves in, I don't remember exactly, something like -15 °C (5 °F), but, guess what? They were recording everything with their mobile phones, so that cannot be normal, and they just did that to have some laughs. And I doubt they had been walking for more than 5 minutes outside. Meanwhile, I was wearing heavy winter clothes plus a scarf. It was pungent and very annoying.
When the outside temperature is between -10 and -20C I used to enjoy running or biking just for the feel of the cold air on my skin and lungs. I've done this on numerous occasions when I lived on Long Island, particularly during the winters of 2014 and 2015. Sometimes I wore short sleeves (but gloves) during the runs, and it felt fine for the most part. Of course it's not the ideal temperature for such activity, and in fact I used to do it mainly out of interest and thrill rather than for actual exercise benefits, but I have never gotten any adverse health effects from it, and I wouldn't consider it to be dangerous.

Quote:

-20 °C is colder than a freezer, which is usually kept at -18 °C. Breathing becomes uncomfortable, at least IMO, and I have to apply a cold weather cream on my face. I have to cover my mouth and nose, because it's so cold. I know many people will not, but I have a lower cold tolerance than those people.

-30 °C is literally Arctic. I've never dared to wear summer clothes with this temperature. It would be a big mistake. I have not experienced this temperature often (maybe a couple of times since 2010), because, in order to find a reliable -30 °C, I should buy a ticket to Iqaluit, and that's something I'd regret very quickly.
I haven't tried any rigorous outside activity below -20C, although I have tried some more benign stuff like sitting outside meditating for an hour at -21C or going for a 45 min walk at -29C once in upstate NY. It was fun: small particles of frost materialized on my face and my clothes, I could feel the cold air deep into my lungs, and my breath looked almost like I was smoking. However, I won't say that those kind of temps aren't dangerous, in fact I got some mild frost nip on parts of my nose, wrists, and ankles where they were exposed (I sound like a broken record), and I wouldn't do it again with exposed skin.

To a certain extent it's a matter of experience. If you go to Indonesia or someplace similar they'll tell you that 10C is dangerous, whereas if you lived in Fairbanks or Harbin for most of your life you'd giggle at the idea of -10 or even -20C being dangerous.

Quote:
I have more than 250 clothing items in my bedroom
Holy **** I only have like 50 and that's counting everything, even the individual socks. Without the small stuff it's only 18 things.

Last edited by Shalop; 04-23-2016 at 05:11 PM..

Old 04-23-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
When the outside temperature is between -10 and -20C I like to go running or biking just for the feel of the cold air on my skin and lungs. I've done this on numerous occasions when I lived on Long Island, particularly during the winters of 2014 and 2015. Sometimes I wore short sleeves (but gloves) during the runs, and it felt fine for the most part. Of course it's not the ideal temperature for such activity, and in fact I used to do it mainly out of interest and thrill rather than for actual exercise benefits, but I have never gotten any adverse health effects from it, and I wouldn't consider it to be dangerous
When the outside temperature is between -10 °C and -20 °C I don't go outside, except for 20/30 seconds if I'm feeling hot and need a refreshing feeling on my face. I don't like walking outside with those temperatures, and I try to stay inside as much as possible.

I seriously hate cold weather! And, to be more precise, let's clarify what I classify as cold weather: I know that people in California will find 59 °F (15 °C) cold, so I'm not obviously talking about that, which feels very mild to me. Not hot, not cold, not warm, not cool.

I think temperatures below -3 °C (27 °F) are cold. If someone from a Mediterranean climate reads this, he may think "That's not cold at all! -4 °C happens here too and I've never had a problem". Yeah, right, you may think that just because you know that it's going to be above 10 °C (50 °F) in the afternoon, of course it's not a problem. The problem is when you have -4 °C as the daytime high. As I said before, I hate cold weather, so I mostly like temperatures between 40 °F and 80 °F (4 °C to 27 °C). I also hate hot weather. I find 28 °C (82 °F) hot enough to sit in a chair outside in the shade and letting the air warm you up. You can even "relax" (I have a different definition of relaxation, btw) and read something while you sit in a chair outside in the shade, getting as lazy as you can.

I personally don't know how can people enjoy temperatures above 90 °F (32 °C). Even the activity I said before, will not get so relaxing, as breathing starts to become uncomfortable, you need to drink more than "normal" days, and overall the feeling on the skin will get unpleasant. Walking outside for more than 10 minutes in that temperature doesn't sound that good. I don't know what's so beautiful about that kind of heat. But, there are different kinds of weather preferences, cold weather preferences, hot weather preferences,
Spoiler
and cool oceanic gloomy overcast weather preferences, which I think I'm the only one here
, so the world is nice as it is, because of the diversity.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:46 PM

1,218 posts, read 686,212 times
About 7C when the low cloud was supposed to clear to sunshine and warmth later in the day. The low cloud didn't lift until about 5pm and the temperature only reached 11C.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:51 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,494,271 times
Around 30F/-1C.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:08 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times
Quote:
You would walk around London and Vancouver in winter, in shorts and short sleeves?
Chrtistchurch is just as cold in winter too Joe but you didn't highlight it (?)

Shorts /coldest

20c for me as a rule

6-8c possibly the lowest after walking home a mile or two after a mid winter game of football -sunny days in winter never feel that cold after exercising

Old 08-19-2017, 03:21 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorshavnSunHolidays View Post
Chrtistchurch is just as cold in winter too Joe but you didn't highlight it (?)
Christchurch England? - Christchurch NZ is 4-5C warmer than London and Vancouver in winter, not to mention quite a lot sunnier and with less rain days.

I worked in Christchurch for two years, and often wore shorts in winter there.

Last edited by Joe90; 08-19-2017 at 03:31 PM..

Old 08-19-2017, 03:30 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,370,256 times
Quote:
Christchurch England? - Christchurch NZ is 4-5C warmer than London and Vancouver in winter, not to mention quite a lot sunnier and with less rain days
average London is 5.2 in the coldest month ,Christchurch is 5.7 - Vancouver is 3.6 Seattle is 4.8 also colder than London .

Interesting how London keeps getting picked on ?

Paris could have been used as well - why was London picked out initially i wonder ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather