Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2014, 09:55 AM

3,614 posts, read 2,714,836 times

Advertisements

-52C in Europe on January 29.

Probably coldest temperature in Europe for several years.

Khoseda-Khard (Hoseda) in European Russia
Synop report summary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 09:56 AM

4,965 posts, read 5,711,253 times
That chart makes my eyes bleed.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 AM

29,590 posts, read 19,772,204 times
Siberia has been intensely cold

3-6 inches of snow for Chicago on Saturday

Tuesday/Wednesday storm is looking massive.

And afterwards day 7 shows 16C negative anomaly over Chicago

Old 01-30-2014, 11:04 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,963,405 times
No offence but the polar vortex this year has had very damaging affects. Its in a place that is not very suitable

BBC News - Somerset flood support: Marines on standby as military planners meet

Old 01-30-2014, 11:08 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,963,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
-52C in Europe on January 29.

Probably coldest temperature in Europe for several years.

Khoseda-Khard (Hoseda) in European Russia
Synop report summary
That gives the impression that Europe is having a cold winter...

Old 01-30-2014, 01:22 PM

83,689 posts, read 76,052,953 times
Default Long Range Thoughts Part4

Ok.. so continuing with the cold/stormy period we're in, looking ahead past mid February now.

Here's the current Water Vapor view. You can already see the setup getting in place with a split flow in the Pacific. This is going to mean some needed rains into California with a tropical stream like that.

I believe the ridge stays in place over there which means the flow at 500mb is going to be Northwesterly (arctic air) right into the U.S. So yes, Status Quo.

I don't see Pacific Air bleeding into the U.S because of the trough West of the Rockies. However, a streaming moisture feed is going to enhance rain/snowfall across the U.S

I believe the south will have one more chance of frozen precip before February is up. Also note, the Atlantic ridge is closer to the coast now, that could spell trouble for coastal storms riding right up but I don't see big threats

The northern Jet stream which has been mostly seen in the gulf states lately will start to lift. That fluctuation will mean the world in what precip falls in the mid atlantic. I think storm tracks will move from like Oklahoma to Virginia.

Bottom line... February is going to be stormy with snow, ice, and rain. I think we have 1 more real arctic attack coming into the East mid February but temps will stay below normal mostly. I'm looking at seasonably/cool temps for March, no torch pattern yet. (might be May)

I mean all in all a pattern typically doesn't last more than 12 weeks in my experience.. Over the past year or so that that theory got washed out because patterns were changing every 2 to 7 weeks and it was just all over the place.

But back to my original experience.... short pattern changes are 4 weeks, a long pattern takes 12 weeks. So on average you looking at a pattern that last 8 weeks.

We are on the 6th week now because if you start the cold snowy pattern say mid December, add 8 weeks to that, and that puts you to mid February so that's when the pattern will start to change in my opinion and we'll see the change at the end of February.

however if it goes toward the longest stretch which is 12 weeks that put you into mid March where it could be cold and stormy. I'm not going that far, however I am going to the end of February...

We really pretty much only have one more month of this and then spring time rolls around, averages go up, Sun is higher in the sky, but it could still be cold 30's in March.

And just like patterns, my streak has to end soon too. LOL. Lets see what happens.

Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2013-14 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-satellite.jpg  

Old 01-30-2014, 01:51 PM

12,623 posts, read 14,007,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Siberia has been intensely cold

3-6 inches of snow for Chicago on Saturday

Tuesday/Wednesday storm is looking massive.

And afterwards day 7 shows 16C negative anomaly over Chicago

Not good about the extreme cold in Siberia. Somehow I think this winter it will find its way over to us instead of Europe. I can only hope Europe gets it instead of us. It is more their turn and they are due for it.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:16 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,821,318 times
took the time and calculated the average for nikkaloukta this month up untill now. currently the average is at -21.7C, and will go below -22C for this month if the average for tomorrow is -30C. anyway, this will be the coldest monhtly mean temp in sweden for many years. perhaps you have to go back to the extreme winters in the late 80s to find something lower.

Synop report summary

Old 01-30-2014, 02:21 PM

12,623 posts, read 14,007,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Was caught off guard this morning. 6°F? Single digits down to North Carolina. And I believe snow cover is allowing Alabama & Georgia to be in the single digits as well.

I hope you can see this temp map! CD didn't let me upload it.

Are these the minimums for the day, or just a snapshot of temps at that time?

Old 01-30-2014, 02:36 PM

83,689 posts, read 76,052,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are these the minimums for the day, or just a snapshot of temps at that time?
They were the temps from that hour update. (not lows but maybe close for many). Here were the lows from this area. I don't have access to a link right now that shows lows across the U.S. Someone out there has to have it otherwise we have to check individual offices. I think records were broken just seeing those single digits that far.

Lows: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/analysis...egion_mint.png

Max: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ctp/analysis...egion_maxt.png

Edit... actually this is wrong. BDL hit 6 they show 9.

Edit Edit.... Map is from January 28! LOL!
Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2013-14 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-temps131.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather