Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM

29,590 posts, read 19,749,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
First off, Accu-Weather ain't very accurate. And secondly, just cause December might be above normal, doesn't mean Jan and Feb won't be below. Plus warm than average temps can still result in lots of snow in winter.
Whether people like Bastardi's stance on global warming or not, he was accuweather's only saving grace when it came to long range forecasts. Once he left they went to the dogs.

Case in point:

Quote:
Therefore, instead of New York City enduring the worst of winter this year, it will likely be Chicago.
"The brunt of the winter season, especially when dealing with cold, will be over the North Central U.S.," stated Paul Pastelok, expert long-range meteorologist and leader of the AccuWeather.com Long-Range Forecasting Team.
Chicago, which endured a monster blizzard last winter, could be one of the hardest-hit cities in terms of both snow and cold in the winter ahead.
AccuWeather.com Long-Range Meteorologist Josh Nagelberg even went so far as to say, "People in Chicago are going to want to move after this winter.

Reality..... One of the mildest on record

This site has this forecast
The Weather Centre: Official 2013-2014 Winter Forecast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 03:21 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,412,233 times
So I guess you could say the same as someone in northern VT wanting a mild winter, that would be devastating to the ski industry that's so important to the economy VT and NH and winter so that's really selfish. If they want mild winters move down south

Or maybe farmers can just learn that FL is not exactly the most reliable "citrus growing" state, almost every winter you hear about "devastating" loss to Orange crops during cold snaps, maybe farmers should just learn from the past and stop relying on central/north FL to not have frosts, which many many times in the past has proven to be "devastating"

Of course I'm being sarcastic, I find posts like that annoying.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:58 PM

12,622 posts, read 13,992,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
The weather will do what it wants regardless of what people want or hope for, so Alex wanting a cold snap in Florida won't make it any more likely to happen, and if it does happen, it isn't his fault. Seriously, I don't get this guilt trip crap some people use with regards to the weather.

I hope the next five winters in England are 10F above normal with zero snow.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:59 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,948,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
So I guess you could say the same as someone in northern VT wanting a mild winter, that would be devastating to the ski industry that's so important to the economy VT and NH and winter so that's really selfish. If they want mild winters move down south

Or maybe farmers can just learn that FL is not exactly the most reliable "citrus growing" state, almost every winter you hear about "devastating" loss to Orange crops during cold snaps, maybe farmers should just learn from the past and stop relying on central/north FL to not have frosts, which many many times in the past has proven to be "devastating"

Of course I'm being sarcastic, I find posts like that annoying.
Is it actually bad or do they just exagerate it??

Old 09-30-2013, 05:07 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,412,233 times
There is actually a lot of loss some winters, but people exaggerate how important that citrus industry really is to FL, the most important industry by far here is tourism.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
There is actually a lot of loss some winters, but people exaggerate how important that citrus industry really is to FL, the most important industry by far here is tourism.

I don't know but $2Billion in losses seems pretty bad to me.

http://www.int-res.com/articles/cr/1/c001p133.pdf

Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,681,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I hope the next five winters in England are 10F above normal with zero snow.
I hope Philadelphia gets a Cat 5 hurricane.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:24 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,278,537 times
Quote:
Don't drag the rest of us down with him!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:27 PM

Quote:

Lol, never gonna happen as our water temps are not warm enough to sustain that.

Enjoy those endless snowless winters coming up.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:28 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,681,071 times
Doesn't matter - whatever I hope for will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather