Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 07:30 PM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A Look at Water Temperatures and Northern Snow Cover
October 09, 2013; 9:03 PM
The EC map below shows the up to date surface water temperature anomalies for North America and also the current snow cover

In terms of surface water temperatures, we can see a large pocket of cooler (blue) than normal water over the northeast Pacific, while the waters off Atlantic Canada continue to be warmer relative to normal, which I expect to be the case through the upcoming winter.
Also, note the warm (red/orange) anomalies for the Great Lakes and Lake Winnipeg.
The combination of a cooler summer and recent meltwater has sent water temperatures slightly below normal from Hudson Bay up through the Baffin Island region.
Snowcover
The grey areas show current snow cover, which you can see extending down through parts of the Yukon Territory and over the Canadian Rockies.
By the way, snow cover in northern Canada is currently averaging below-normal (red). See the snow anomaly map below from the Rutgers Global Snow Lab......

Note: We will be closely monitoring the snow cover anomalies over parts of north-central/northwestern Asia during the rest of this month. Some studies show a link between a higher than normal snow cover growth over this region during October and second-half of the winter high-latitude blocking over the Canadian side of the Arctic, which can produce severe winter conditions farther south into southern Canada and the eastern half of U.S.
A Look at Water Temperatures and Northern Snow Cover - Canadian Weather Blog Weather Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 12:35 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
"You know winter is coming quickly when Flagstaff, Arizona has snow."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...if_t=notify_me

Old 10-10-2013, 12:53 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
are you guys serious can't this thread wait till atleast november. Fall has barely started and you guys already want it to be winter. As it it I'm still trying to get summer to end down here.

lol.....don't count me in that! I hope the mild fall we have been having lasts right through late November.

After that I'll be in Florida and I wish for a warm winter

Old 10-15-2013, 05:16 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,379,569 times
Quote:
Forecasters last night warned the entire country is set for a horror freeze which will bring brutal winds and fierce blizzards.
Temperatures have already started to plunge as a swathe of cold air from the Arctic has swept across the UK in the past few days.
The first long-range forecasts warn of "recordbreaking snowfall" next month.

Worst winter for decades: Record-breaking snow predicted for November | UK | News | Daily Express

Another "Big Freeze Horror Winter" 2013/14 + Huge Snow Amounts - YouTube

''Please disregard any indications of a mild winter from elsewhere standard meteorology and computer models always underestimate and don't/can't recognise situations like this until last minute''

Not going to happen!

Last edited by nei; 10-15-2013 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 10-15-2013, 06:42 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Gosh, is that for real? Or is it just a total joke? Sure would be awesome if the Uk really did have a winter like that...lol.

You're prolly right - not gonna happen.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:03 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
I'll be screwed if we have more than half an inch of snow. Rear wheel drive plus masses of torque don't work well on anything other than a dry road.
I might have to use the wifes car and substitute her to the bus

Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,872,643 times
An inch of snow?

Um where do you live Florida?An inch of snow does not cause any hassle.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
An inch of snow?

Um where do you live Florida?An inch of snow does not cause any hassle.
Are you mentally capable of reading a post from start to finish?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:58 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
"You know winter is coming quickly when Flagstaff, Arizona has snow."
Indeed. Wyoming and the Black Hills have gotten another dose of snow recently as well. Oddly enough it's the same region (more or less) that got the brunt of the snows in April and May .

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Not going to happen!
Meh. I suppose it could happen, though it probably won't. Forecasts even one month out often bust, sometimes spectacularly; just look at March 2013 in the United States for proof of that.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:04 AM

29,520 posts, read 19,612,482 times
Latest CFSV2 VS JMA winter 500 mb pattern setting stage for high amp western N Am ridge, eastern or central NA trough

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather