Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 11:18 AM

83,561 posts, read 75,474,029 times

Advertisements

NOAA released their winter outlook

Drought likely to persist or develop in the Southwest, Southeastern U.S. this winter

Sea surface temperatures across the equatorial Pacific have been near average since spring 2012, and forecasters expect that to continue through the winter. This means that neither El Niño nor La Niña is expected to influence the climate during the upcoming winter.

“It’s a challenge to produce a long-term winter forecast without the climate pattern of an El Niño or a La Niña in place out in the Pacific because those climate patterns often strongly influence winter

temperature and precipitation here in the United States,” said Mike Halpert, acting director of NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center. “Without this strong seasonal influence, winter weather is often affected by short-term climate patterns, such as the Arctic Oscillation, that are not predictable beyond a week or two. So it’s important to pay attention to your local daily weather forecast throughout the winter.”

The Precipitation Outlook favors:
  • Below-average precipitation in the Southwest, Southeast and the Alaskan panhandle.
  • Above-average precipitation in the Northern Rockies, particularly over Montana and northern Wyoming and in Hawaii.
The Temperature Outlook favors:
  • Below-average temperatures in the Northern Plains and the Alaskan Panhandle.
  • Above-average temperatures in the Southwest, the South-Central U.S., parts of the Southeast, New England and western Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:23 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,373,593 times
Wide range of temps currently on the US mainland....bitter cold up in the northern interior with temps near 0 F....while in the 70's and 80's in the deep subtropics:

Old 11-21-2013, 12:26 PM

29,554 posts, read 19,662,762 times
For NOAA to come out with a winter forecast where much of the country has an "equal" chance of seeing below or above normal temps translates to there is a good chance of seeing below normal temps.

CFV2 run for December looks a lot like what we saw in 09/10'

Old 11-21-2013, 12:44 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,216,246 times
Block MiamiHurricane from seeing the 2nd map!!!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:19 PM

Run after run, CFV2 says above normal snowfall for the Christmas season. Only one of the runs, looks impressive for my area.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:37 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,224,688 times
[quote=chicagogeorge;32353877]Run after run, CFV2 says above normal snowfall for the Christmas season. Only one of the runs, looks impressive for my area.

Chicagogeorge, Whether your area of the country gets heavy snow for Christmas is to put bluntly is really out of your or anybody elses control, I am presuming that you are a Chicago area resident by your avatar name, this Holiday season may be bitterly cold and dry, It may be Mild and rainy, It may be Mild and Sunny, It may just be typical and with average cold and a typical amount of snow either already on the ground or falling for the Christmas season, whatever the case, humans must learn that we are not in control of the weather, mother nature is. Also, just because this model is saying it will be extremely cold and or snowy, doesn't necessarily mean that will be the case, going back to my previous statement/s, I myself also have seen what that CFV2 with temperature and precipitation and what it has been doing over the past several weeks to the last few months, and have noticed that the temperature anomalies seem to be prone to reversing or flip flopping, at times rather radically from previous anomaly readings in the weeks before i.e. from very warm to no signal to very cold etc. This I find is a sign that either this model is either extremely unreliable months in advance or is just not stable in its anomaly predictions. I feel that time will tell whether you wish will verify. I don't know about you, But I personally find -20 F temperatures deplorable/detestable, however, leave it to your preferences, it is your right to enjoy that sort of cold if you wish.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:53 PM

^^

Model runs are fun to play with, and yes that time frame (one month out) is in the "fantasy realm" especially in forecasting precip.

Models can't even agree 4 or 5 days out

Btw, during the winter -20F with blizzard conditions is perfect! As long as I am compensated with 90+ degree heat and 70F+ dew points during the summer

Old 11-23-2013, 09:20 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,949,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
^^

Model runs are fun to play with, and yes that time frame (one month out) is in the "fantasy realm" especially in forecasting precip.

Btw, during the winter -20F with blizzard conditions is perfect! As long as I am compensated with 90+ degree heat and 70F+ dew points during the summer

You sure do belong in a continental climate. No wonder you are always disparaging the climate of London. You love extremes. Personally I detest the temps flip flopping all over. I'm glad it happens pretty much only in late Fall, Winter, and early Spring. Summer is my favorite, and just so happens to be the most stable temp wise.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:24 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,224,688 times
Quote:
^^

It's when there is a lack of snowfall that the bitter cold comes that really makes the cold snap A bust. I don't think I could handle being outdoors in 20 below degree weather well, if I could handle it at all. The coldest I can ever remember ever actually being outside was when it was in the 12 to 14 Below Zero Range, and that was back in 1997. I tolerate Heat and Humidity MUCH Better than I Tolerate Bitter Cold Temps!

Agreed, if its cold then it might as well snow! I, as a southerner living in the Midwest, can more than agree completely in tolerating better 90+Degree Heat with 70+ Degree Dew Points, Coz where I'm from, weather like this often persists for weeks or even at times months without a break from such high heat or humidity(Temps in 90's Dew Points Above 70), unlike the Midwest which such humidity with the heat only comes in short lived bursts of usually a few days at a time.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:50 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,008,186 times
Quote:

True. You can usually discern a general pattern 1-3 weeks out, though specifics are elusive until a few days out. Consensus and consistency is key, as is sniffing out the possibilities (which sometimes bear fruit and sometimes don't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather