Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2013, 08:37 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,044,259 times

Advertisements

Short video of our blizzard in the Grand Forks ND area this afternoon.... Winds gusted to 50 mph new snowfall about half inch.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 08:41 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,044,259 times
Fargo area on I-29 around 4 pm Sunday
Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2013-14 Thread — Northern Hemisphere-1509888_10151873937426943_225637579_n.jpg  

Old 12-28-2013, 10:18 PM

29,590 posts, read 19,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Too bad those that find flaws with him don't do the same for NOAAs forecasts.

JB is a bit cold biased, but I find his overall forecasts to be better than anyone at accuweather, and weather channel.... NOAA is completely warm biased almost to the point of being laughable. Anytime NOAA puts out a "equal chances" forecast, that basically means expect colder than average.

This was his November forecast compared to CSv2

And what November actually ended up

JB wasn't as cold for November as it actually turned out to be. CSv2 started out a blow torch, but began turning it around by the end of October.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:26 AM

12,623 posts, read 14,007,058 times
Quote:
I hate watching his forecasts but that's not bad. Too warm over southwest and too cold over southeast and parts of Mid atlantic. Nice call by him. Hard to forecast an entire country like that and be mostly right with the overall theme. Why people expect every detail to be right is beyond me.. With another week left in December I wonder if the anomalies will change in those areas he was wrong.

Thanks for comparing the actual data to the forecast rather than nitpic and claim its because of being bias. Nice to see homework being done. Too bad those that find flaws with him don't do the same for NOAAs forecasts.

You are all just cold lovers and think this guy is a genius. He isn't. He has gotten numerous forecasts wrong.

I'm curious why both of you seem so focused on the cold taking place in the US, and yet ignore all the warmth over the rest of the globe?

Old 12-29-2013, 04:16 AM

83,689 posts, read 76,052,953 times
Current temps, radar and surface pressure.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Short video of our blizzard in the Grand Forks ND area this afternoon.... Winds gusted to 50 mph new snowfall about half inch.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
Wow, now that's a blizzard. Visibility went to pretty much 0 after that speed limit sign.

I wish there was 75mph limit here. lol Most we have is 65mph.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:44 AM

5,576 posts, read 8,033,086 times
Quote:
I hate watching his forecasts but that's not bad. Too warm over southwest and too cold over southeast and parts of Mid atlantic. Nice call by him. Hard to forecast an entire country like that and be mostly right with the overall theme. Why people expect every detail to be right is beyond me.. With another week left in December I wonder if the anomalies will change in those areas he was wrong.
Especially when you look at just one spot (Philly) as opposed to the overall pattern. He got the basic idea right with that forecast, which is more than what most forecasts usually do. I would also contend that predicting the continental pattern should count for more than being exactly right in one place with the temperature departure.

Quote:
Thanks for comparing the actual data to the forecast rather than nitpic and claim its because of being bias. Nice to see homework being done. Too bad those that find flaws with him don't do the same for NOAAs forecasts.
If you want bias towards never forecasting any cold anomalies outside the Pacific Northwest look no further than NOAA .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I'm curious why both of you seem so focused on the cold taking place in the US, and yet ignore all the warmth over the rest of the globe?
Perhaps because they're Americans and they always work on mostly American weather, especially when there's weather of interest in America? Continue to bask in your "after a week or two there will be no more winter weather or cold anywhere" bubble that you seem to be stuck in most of the year. Perhaps your warm bias will be accurate during some future season.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,277,192 times
Need to keep an eye out for ice along I 84. I will be leaving from Lowell MA to CNJ at 2 PM. Thankfully, there is no ice in forecast as of today. Let's see how things work out as time progresses.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:36 AM

By 7pm tomorrow, Hi-Res NAM12z says Scranton, Sussex, Poughkeepsie, Danbury in the teens & Philly/NYC/Long Island below freezing

Old 12-29-2013, 08:52 AM

29,590 posts, read 19,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You are all just cold lovers
I love heat too. Just not in the winter

Quote:
and think this guy is a genius. He isn't. He has gotten numerous forecasts wrong.
I never claimed he is a "genius", just that his forecasts are usually pretty good. Of course he gets numerous forecast wrong.

How are accuweather's forecasts since he left?

Quote:
I'm curious why both of you seem so focused on the cold taking place in the US,
I live here.

Quote:
and yet ignore all the warmth over the rest of the globe?
So I should be more focused on the abnormally warm weather in Siberia? What about the abnormally cold weather in Brazil or Africa for the first couple of weeks in December?

Three models and three remarkably similar solutions for mid-week this week. The Wednesday into Thursday period is looking snowy from this distance, but much to monitor.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather