Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 05:38 PM

29,547 posts, read 19,640,423 times

Advertisements

Did somebody say strat warming? Yup definitely looks like it!

Serious cold in Eastern Canada next week. Montreal down to -40F

Current snowfall map of my region. Lot of it will be melted by tomorrow...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Old 12-27-2013, 06:49 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,215,487 times
Temperatures are now forecasted to be colder / windchill will be nasty :

Earlier today we were at 39.2 F

Now this is in our immediate future:

Moose Jaw - Pense - Central Butte - Craik
3:36 PM CST Friday 27 December 2013
Special weather statement for
Moose Jaw - Pense - Central Butte - Craik continued

Drastic change in the weather coming tonight.

An intensifying Alberta clipper will track southeastward into North Dakota on Saturday. Snow will spread across much of Southern Saskatchewan this evening associated with this system. Generally 5 to 10 cm can be expected tonight into Saturday morning with snow tapering off from north to south late Saturday morning. The highest amounts will likely be along the Yellowhead Highway corridor. In addition to the snow strong northerly winds gusting to 50 to 60 km/h will develop late tonight into Saturday morning. The combination of these strong winds and falling snow will create poor visibilities in blowing snow especially over southwestern areas of the province where the winds will be the strongest. Visibilities of less than 1 km can be expected over open areas late tonight and Saturday morning in those areas. Conditions should improve Saturday afternoon as winds gradually subside and snow tapers off.

In the wake of this system, bitterly cold temperatures will prevail for the weekend through new year's evening...With some hint of a warm-up as 2014 begins. Extreme wind chill values of minus 40 to minus 45 are possible over Eastern Saskatchewan Saturday night and Sunday morning.

The public is advised to monitor future forecasts and warnings as warnings may be required or extended.

Please monitor the latest forecasts and warnings from Environment Canada at Weather Home - Environment Canada

Old 12-27-2013, 06:56 PM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Did somebody say strat warming? Yup definitely looks like it!
That map you posted shows blocking nicely but the 500mb heights is not looking at the stratosphere temps. In fact we have recently been at record cold levels. The strat isn't a driver in our current pattern otherwise we would be getting torched at the surface.

Use this link to see the strat warming/cooling forecast. Notice its warming over Asia. But again, its not a driver in our pattern so its not to be used. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...70_nh_f120.gif

Here's the 10hpa temps. Record cold.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:18 PM

NWS Maine 1st snow total forecast is out, watch to see if they have to raise the totals in time. For now this look ok.

National Weather Service Forecast Office - Portland-Gray,Maine

Old 12-28-2013, 12:05 AM

Old 12-28-2013, 04:55 AM

Latest Euro 00z has a nice snowstorm hit for Mid Atlantic and the ocean. Take note what happens... the Northern stream comes down south and southern stream flatter OTS. Like I said, if the northern branch digs down a little then we got snow anywhere from Virginia to Maine. It all depends what the southern branch does.

The GFS6z pushes the coastal north up the coast and a nice snowstorm for central NJ northward.

This is for the 3rd so it's back in the picture now.

This is the Euro.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:47 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,217,975 times
Right now I at my cousins house in Lowell MA, a northwestern suburb of Boston. Temperature right now is 23.4 F outside. Going up to a balmy 45 F and sunny later today. Perfect day for touring the Boston area .

FYI, I am leaving back to NJ on Sunday night. Is there any ice possibility near Hartford or Danbuy along I 84 that time of the day.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Right now I at my cousins house in Lowell MA, a northwestern suburb of Boston.

FYI, I am leaving back to NJ on Sunday night. Is there any ice possibility near Hartford or Danbuy along I 84 that time of the day.
You will be near the Rain/Snow line. Another 100 miles to your north and they should be getting half foot. Just be careful Sunday after 6pm because as the storm moves out, the cold air moves in and any precip lingering around will fall as snow or ice. If you can leave when its raining before 4pm and you'll be driving into the tail end of the storm. Or wait till Monday morning. OR just take I-95 down and you'll be ok.

NWS NY mentions this.

UNCERTAINTY THEN EXISTS WITH THE TEMPERATURES AND HOW ISOTHERMAL THE
TEMPERATURE PROFILE BECOMES AS THE LOW PULLS AWAY...FOR THE INTERIOR
AREAS. IF TEMPERATURES BECOME COLD ENOUGH WITH AN ISOTHERMAL PROFILE
AROUND 7-10pm...COULD SEE A BRIEF PERIOD OF HEAVY SNOW WHICH COULD
ACCUMULATE 1-2 INCHES OF SNOW IN ORANGE COUNTY AND HIGHER
ELEVATIONS
. THIS WOULD BE BRIEF AS PRECIP QUICKLY LIGHTENS AFTER
THIS TIME AND WOULD TRANSITION TO MORE OF A LIGHT
RAIN/SNOW...POSSIBLY A BRIEF MIX IN OF FREEZING RAIN...BEFORE
ENDING
. ALL OTHER AREAS WILL REMAIN RAIN THROUGHOUT THE EVENT.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:02 AM

River in Massachusetts frozen

"False sun on North Side of Longfellow Bridge Cambridge MA illuminating frozen Charles River "

https://twitter.com/SurfSkiWxMan/sta...13522740563968

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather