Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 AM

83,596 posts, read 75,595,442 times

Advertisements

Nobody talking about the Blizzard for the northern Tier of U.S??? This looks very interesting... Speaking of interesting... Do you guys remember me mentioning "after the 25th of october" things get interesting?

This volitle weather will continue for months I think now.

here's NWS discussion.

Quote:
THE PRIMARY CONCERN FOR THIS PERIOD IS WITH THE FIRST MAJOR WINTER
STORM OF THE SEASON TO AFFECT THE REGION. AN UPPER LEVEL LOW
PRESENTLY ENTERING THE GULF OF ALASKA WILL APPROACH OUR CWA ON
THURSDAY AND COMBINE WITH PACIFIC MOISTURE AND COLD AIR FROM
CANADA TO PRODUCE POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS.
AS THE LOW EXITS OUR LOCATION ON SUNDAY SNOW WILL TAPER OFF
ALTHOUGH NORTHWEST FLOW WILL WRAP AROUND BEHIND IT LEADING TO MUCH
COLDER CONDITIONS.
How's this for a forecast?

Sharpcold front next week will produce blizzard conditions, Thunderstorms in south and fridgid temps. NAO going positive so its the West turn for Winter while the East warms up and clears out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 01:00 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,253,559 times
Wow a record low in the inferno of Newark? Glad to see such things are still possible. NYC dropped down to 33 F.

Low dropped down to 19 F last night at home.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:06 PM

152 posts, read 227,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
We got almost half of the sky non-cloud covered. Least cloudy it's been for a week.
Today in the morning I walked out into cloudy drizzly weather and thought it was gonna be a gloomy dark November day without sun. I couldn't be more wrong. Half an hour later downtown it was already mostly clear with the wet streets bathing in sunshine, with fresh humid wind and some interesting looking clouds moving fast across the sky. The weather stayed that way all day: sunny, somewhat humid and fresh feeling. That's my favorite kind of weather . I wish we had more of it instead of all that dull overcast crap in fall and winter.

It wasn't warm but not particularly cold either today: min 0C, max 8C.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:23 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,676,526 times
After the coldest Sept-Oct combination for 19 years our national average for the first five days of November (and the 6th has possibly even lowered it) is 4.7C, or in other words four degrees below average for early November or colder than December or January last winter. I don't think it has any bearing at all on what the winter to come will be like, but I've been surprised to see so many roadside plane trees still green - the foliage hasn't come noticeably earlier than the really mild autumn we had last year.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:36 PM

152 posts, read 227,137 times
Around here a lot of trees still have leaves and some are still green but some others have already shedded their leaves. You can see that in the pics I've posted.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:42 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,745,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darth serious View Post
Today in the morning I walked out into cloudy drizzly weather and thought it was gonna be a gloomy dark November day without sun. I couldn't be more wrong. Half an hour later downtown it was already mostly clear with the wet streets bathing in sunshine, with fresh humid wind and some interesting looking clouds moving fast across the sky. The weather stayed that way all day: sunny, somewhat humid and fresh feeling. That's my favorite kind of weather . I wish we had more of it instead of all that dull overcast crap in fall and winter.

It wasn't warm but not particularly cold either today: min 0C, max 8C.
Are they interesting clouds for your area, or just for the time of year? . They just look like clouds that can be seen any time of the year, to me. Nice pics though- a very pleasant looking day and sky.

Different clouds in different areas, are always of interest to me. I haven't lived anywhere, with the diversity of clouds that I see here. I think that the UK or Western Europe might have similar diversity to here, but probably a bit less so during winter.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:46 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,915,739 times
? Don't all clouds look the same I don't notice much difference at all.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:52 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,745,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
? Don't all clouds look the same I don't notice much difference at all.
I'm not sure whether that means you have little cloud diversity, or spend little time watching the skies.

There is a big difference in clouds. Understanding cloud cause and effect is a big part of reading weather.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:03 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,915,739 times
We have different clouds here like cumulonimbus, but they aren't any different to the clouds that I have seen in other countries (why would they be, clouds travel across countries.) and most of the time, the clouds that we get are just medium level grey ones.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:24 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,611,588 times
The frequency of different types of clouds varies with place. And here, with season. Thick stratus clouds are somewhat rare in summer but common in the cooler months. The cloud shapes combined with the deep sky color suggests a cooler season, common look for the sky in November here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather