Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 01:40 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times

Advertisements

I live in the suburbs, on the very edge of the city, right next door to the countryside. While the inner city is getting slush and sleet I could be getting a good fluffy covering of snowfall and in my experience it doesn't turn slushy, icy or dirty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,963 times
Still not very much snow on the ground; maybe half a foot, if that.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:20 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,409,050 times
Not had any accumulating snow for over a month now.

A lovely green winter so far, though with a few crummy windy days.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:14 PM

927 posts, read 1,946,821 times
Corvallis, Oregon as well as neighboring Albany, Philomath and Turner/Scio have just started drying out from some of the worst local flooding in nearly 16 years.

This flood event was kind of odd in that it affected mostly urban waterways and a few small streams. But what streams did flood, flooded hugely, to an extent not seen since 1996 and one or two had record flooding. By contrast the Willamette River, our largest fully within Oregon, went over flood stage in only a few spots and only just over. Still some homes and businesses suffered damage. Much of our valley dodged a big-time 9mm round.

I believe the reason we got off so (relatively) lucky was we had a fairly dry winter up to now and what contributions a melting snowpack may have made to our flood woes was minor - we simply didn't have much of one. Since our deluge last Tuesday thru Thursday (1/17 - 1/19), however, we have had enough cold rain to keep the rivers just below bank-full; and in the mountains both east and west of us, enough snow to build back the snowpack to well beyond previous levels.

Well, we may not be so lucky this time...We've another multiday shot of rain coming....The NWS is hedging on exactly who will be in the bulls eye and how much wet stuff will fall. But what the models are saying generally is we are in for another "Atmospheric River"* and somewhere in our Pacific Northwest will bear the brunt of another onslaught of high wind, high snow levels and torrential rain, as heavy or heavier, than the one we endured last week. Time to break out the flotation devices, sand bags, sump pumps and brush up on exactly what a "cubit" is.

*"Atmospheric River" is a term used to describe a loooong fetch of very warm and very wet weather that is made up of many wet systems strung together resulting in a pattern of torrential rain lasting several days to several weeks running over a broad swath of the American (and sometimes the Canadian) west coast - a Pineapple express on steroids in short. Below is a blog (the entry of Jan 28, 2011) and a USGS report on the phenomenom and the reason why reading about the NWS's prediction of us seeing one next week puts ice water in my veins.

Wunder Blog Archive : Weather Underground

Overview of the ARkStorm Scenario

Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,995,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
A lovely green winter so far, though with a few crummy windy days.
Green? Blah. Give me white any day of the winter (and Apr-Oct too (why settle for less?)) . I always thought English winters were too warm for my taste, but I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
We have snow on the ground right now. Likely will melt within a few days with the coming rain (first as the frozen variety tomorrow morning).

A high of 40 and above is predicted every day this week (until Saturday). This should be close to the coldest time of the winter.

It's strange to hear myself say this, but I won't object if our February isn't mild and a normal / slightly cold one. A warmer than average February will still be rather cold, might as well have it cold and get some snow for this winter instead of the nothing or 1 inch stuff we've been getting.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:38 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
We have snow on the ground right now. Likely will melt within a few days with the coming rain (first as the frozen variety tomorrow morning).

A high of 40 and above is predicted every day this week (until Saturday). This should be close to the coldest time of the winter.

It's strange to hear myself say this, but I won't object if our February isn't mild and a normal / slightly cold one. A warmer than average February will still be rather cold, might as well have it cold and get some snow for this winter instead of the nothing or 1 inch stuff we've been getting.
Have you looked at the GFS model lately? It predicts a western ridge/eastern trough scenario setting up for the medium range and thereafter. It looks like it is correlated with the expected flip of the NAO and AO into negative territory and the PNA into positive territory. I expect the eastern US to have average temps in February or possibly below average, depending on the strength of he cold air upstream coming down from the blocky ridge in the Pacific.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:44 AM

Snow tomorrow morning for some areas.. maybe even some isolated freezing rain (this would surely be chaos)

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 01-23-2012 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Also the northern lights were spotted across the UK, some not far from me but I'm always asleep so never see them sadly!

Tan Hill Inn, North Yorkshire
http://www.northnews.co.uk/res/uploa...OW_ENGLAND.jpg

Cresswell Beach, Northumberland
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/8...e16904f92e.png

Old 01-23-2012, 11:37 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
A light glaze of ice on cars and some surfaces this morning. Currently 37 F with light rain and fog. Still a solid snow cover from Saturday's storm.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather