Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2011, 12:43 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,293,217 times

Advertisements

Winter Storm Watch in effect for Tuesday night and Wednesday morning.

Looks like the bulk of the storm is over the Carolinas right now. Should be interesting to see the total snow and ice accumulations across the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,765,156 times
12-16 inches predicted for Western Mass! 10-16 for Long Island. Possibly bigger than the first storm.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Forecast map is showing 16 inches (41.5 cm) here. But the text forecast says 19-24 inches (48.2 to 61.0 cm) I wonder which will be correct?

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/StormTotalSnow/

Last edited by nei; 01-12-2011 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 02:38 PM

Storm total was about 20 inches. Though some stations reported a bit less. I found this:

Hartford (Windsor Locks) has broken the all time snowfall record for a day/snowstorm going back to 1905 and it's still snowing. Looks like the CT daily snowfall record of 30" could be in jeapordy too when all is said and done. I lived there for almost a decade and don't recall any storms in my time that dropped so much (20-30") across most of the state.

Hartford got 22" in 24 hours. Highest was 28". This storm seems like it's getting less attention than the first one, for some reason.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:03 PM

107 posts, read 214,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Storm total was about 20 inches. Though some stations reported a bit less. I found this:

Hartford (Windsor Locks) has broken the all time snowfall record for a day/snowstorm going back to 1905 and it's still snowing. Looks like the CT daily snowfall record of 30" could be in jeapordy too when all is said and done. I lived there for almost a decade and don't recall any storms in my time that dropped so much (20-30") across most of the state.

Hartford got 22" in 24 hours. Highest was 28". This storm seems like it's getting less attention than the first one, for some reason.

Didn't you get more during the Blizzard of '78? I was living in NYC at the time, and had to walk up 6th Ave. in thigh deep snow. When I tried to travel to RI to see my mother, the news said the State of RI was "closed". So RI had a little more than NY, but Hartford is in between the two.

All I know is we had about 14" today and I am sick, sick, sick of it already...and this was only the 3rd snowstorm of the year. I don't ski, don't have small children to build a snowman with, haven't ice skated in years, so all I can say is YUCK . May can't get here fast enough.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmom View Post
Didn't you get more during the Blizzard of '78? I was living in NYC at the time, and had to walk up 6th Ave. in thigh deep snow. When I tried to travel to RI to see my mother, the news said the State of RI was "closed". So RI had a little more than NY, but Hartford is in between the two.

All I know is we had about 14" today and I am sick, sick, sick of it already...and this was only the 3rd snowstorm of the year. I don't ski, don't have small children to build a snowman with, haven't ice skated in years, so all I can say is YUCK . May can't get here fast enough.
Never heard of the Blizzard of '78, possibly because I wasn't born yet.

Hartford is more inland, so it might not have gotten as much snow if the track was coastal.

Old 01-13-2011, 03:56 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,709,257 times
Quote:

Sounds pretty spectacular. I haven't actually seen anything about this storm in our media as most of the attention has been on the floods elsewhere in the world, yet the post-Christmas storm was widely reported on TV here. Have you taken any pictures? What sort of disruption has it caused, if any?

Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Sounds pretty spectacular. I haven't actually seen anything about this storm in our media as most of the attention has been on the floods elsewhere in the world, yet the post-Christmas storm was widely reported on TV here. Have you taken any pictures? What sort of disruption has it caused, if any?
I think anytime a snowstorm hits NYC or DC it gets more attention than when one hits smaller cities. Though Boston got a lot. Unfortunately, my town actually got 12-15 inches but neighboring cities got 20 inches. The snow came in bands, and some must have missed us. Yesterday it seemed like everything shut down. Very little traffic except a few pick-up trucks. Some stores might have been open, but I didn't go out.There was a story in the local news about a doctor who skiied 5 miles to work. Some schools were still shut today, but everything was running by late morning.

It's nice to able to post snow pictures now when all the British posters were posting snow photos last month and we had nothing. I walked to Dunkin Donuts this morning and took photos on my walk. I'm posting a bunch, but we haven't had snow photos here in a bit. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Winter 2010-2011 Thread-dsc_0485crop.jpg   Winter 2010-2011 Thread-dsc_0488crop.jpg   Winter 2010-2011 Thread-dsc_0493crop.jpg   Winter 2010-2011 Thread-dsc_0497crop.jpg  

Old 01-14-2011, 02:54 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,709,257 times
Quote:
I think anytime a snowstorm hits NYC or DC it gets more attention than when one hits smaller cities. Though Boston got a lot. Unfortunately, my town actually got 12-15 inches but neighboring cities got 20 inches. The snow came in bands, and some must have missed us. Yesterday it seemed like everything shut down. Very little traffic except a few pick-up trucks. Some stores might have been open, but I didn't go out.There was a story in the local news about a doctor who skiied 5 miles to work. Some schools were still shut today, but everything was running by late morning.

It's nice to able to post snow pictures now when all the British posters were posting snow photos last month and we had nothing. I walked to Dunkin Donuts this morning and took photos on my walk. I'm posting a bunch, but we haven't had snow photos here in a bit. Enjoy!
Good photos nei. I was expecting the snow to be piled up and up Syracuse-style but what you have looks pretty decent. I have seen more, but not in this country. I love the architecture of typical American suburban housing too like in pictures 1 and 3. Everything looks so bright and clean and modern.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Good photos nei. I was expecting the snow to be piled up and up Syracuse-style but what you have looks pretty decent. I have seen more, but not in this country. I love the architecture of typical American suburban housing too like in pictures 1 and 3. Everything looks so bright and clean and modern.
I was hoping to have Syracuse-style snow too but it didn't happen. Glad you like the look of our housing, but it's not typical nor modern. Houses are a bit closer to together compared to most suburbs and they're also 80-100 years old. If you look carefully, you'll notice the houses in #3 are semi-detached (a style much more common in the UK than the USA but not rare in Massachusetts) The houses #1 in have a 2nd floor balcony, which i think means the upstairs is a separate unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather