Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 06:20 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,387,962 times

Advertisements

Well I missed the big snow in the NYC area (was down in Miami). Now that I'm back in the NYC area - I think warm weather just follows me...today it was in the lower 50's around NYC area and the snow is melting fast. Which is fine by me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 07:31 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,264,499 times
Heatwave today. Reached a "boiling" 53 F.

I was actually sweating while walking from my car to work. Even a thin sweatshirt was too much. Aired out the house today and my bedroom window is still open. Loving the fresh air!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,376,424 times
I didn't even need a hat, me of all people. I'd be happy if Winter was always like this.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:35 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,452,435 times
Look at this thread in this forum and see one of the reasons why I left the place:

The New Ice Age - Netweather Community Forums (http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/67557-the-new-ice-age/ - broken link)

How can these idiots be serious? A few cooler than average months in the UK (not the world for heck's sake) and they are going on about this being the start of a new ice age???

Forget the fact that 2010 was globally the second warmest on record.

These ignorant fools believe that a part of the earth which is like, a tiny fraction of its surface, getting a cold winter, means an ice age is starting.

A quote from one of these empty-headed lugs:

"Last winter was one of the most severe for decades, and following the previous very cold and snowy winter we now have begun yet another severe winter!! getting on to 3 in a row which is outstanding and by far unusual. We read much about the causes, with the Solar minimum as top of the list. So has mini ice age begun..with the next maunder minumum on the horizon?"

OH YEAH, y'know what mate, SPOT ON!! You've nailed it!
Forget the little fact that the UK takes up a fraction of a percentage of the earth's surface shall we? I mean, because the UK had such a cold winter, the new Ice Age must have begun! Soon, the polar vortex will be extending down from the North Pole and even envelope the equator, and we'll all be buggered!

The solar minimum is picky innit buddy that it somehow gives us such a cold winter, and virtually nowhere else!!! I guess our sun must have a particular dislike for the UK!!!!!!!!! Eh? Eh? Eh? Or maybe mate, you, are an ignorant speculating FOOOOOOOOOOL??

Old 01-03-2011, 04:53 PM

20 posts, read 63,939 times
Please see my blog regarding winters in Myrtle Beach, SC. I describe these as basically standard, but this year & last, they have been worse than usual, as far as plummeting temps after dark! A coating of snow here, so far & last year, there was several inches in Feb.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:07 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,443,227 times
Winter 2010-2011: no snow ,but it is very cold...

Old 01-03-2011, 08:32 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,655,563 times
@Weatherfan2

While the "new ice age" is absurd, it's possible that the current cold snaps in England might become a more frequent occurrence. We had the same North Arctic Oscillation last year. It seems to bring cold weather to the eastern US as well, though not as strongly.

These are good explanations:

Wunder Blog : Weather Underground

Wunder Blog : Weather Underground

Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,264,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTOUTOFMB View Post
Please see my blog regarding winters in Myrtle Beach, SC. I describe these as basically standard, but this year & last, they have been worse than usual, as far as plummeting temps after dark! A coating of snow here, so far & last year, there was several inches in Feb.
The departure in Myrtle Beach was quite staggering for December. 12 F below average for highs. Probably one of the coldest Decembers on record...even colder than January of 1985 when the all time record low was recorded. Not sure if it was colder than December of 1989 though.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:01 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,452,435 times
This January is aching to follow in the footsetps oif our worst December for 9,000 freickin years, more snow, fiorst of 2011 and absolutely perishing out. Just walking through that crap to work gibven me collosal headache and un-heard of mucus overproduction I am a blasted simmering wreck of snot.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:48 PM

578 posts, read 1,191,459 times
The forecast for London shows fairly average temperatures. Highs of 6-12C and lows of 0-10C for the next 2 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather