Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 25,022 times

Advertisements

I moved out here from California (no, not Cali) several months ago and am trying to figure out the deal people out here. Most of the people I meet are very nice much like you'd find anywhere else. Since I've moved here, I've noticed a few things that I can't figure out if its a DC/MD thing or an east coast thing regarding behavior.

For example, most people seem rather cliquish (sp?) and I find it to be tough breaking into social circles. I found it easy to become friends with a group of people back in CA especially if you had a common interest with them. I've joined a few social groups around the area but it seems that it takes some work to be able to connect with people.

Also, the lack of common courtesy with drivers is very apparent. Noone is shy about using the horn. The speed limit is virtually non-existent (non enforced) in DC. Pedestrians don't seem to get any respect. I've noticed this whether it be DC burbs or DC city.

I've had several people attempt to cut in line in front of me and others in the past 6 months since I've been here. Most were people who decided to form their own line despite the fact that there was only one line, one was just so blatant it still makes me shaking my head.

Maybe it's me, but does anyone else notice these things? Can someone shed some light if this is a common thing among people in the DC area or the east coast area in general?

As with most californians, I'm a bit more laid back and don't really understand what everyone here is so uptight about. I thinks I will be moving back rather than adopting the self-centered attitude this area has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times
You should search through some of the old threads. One of them was about not being able to stand the DC area and another about people who hate living there. Some of the people who were not very fond of the area felt that many local residents were somewhat inconsiderate of others and standoffish, as you mention.
You're certainly not the first person to mention such behavior on these forums. Many threads have posts from people who talk about the difficulty they have had in forming relationships. I have seen multiple recommendations to join a kickball group.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:01 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,337,246 times
This thread might be worth reviewing:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...d-dc-area.html

Old 04-09-2008, 10:35 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,165,260 times
It's not a DC thing. It's an east coast behavior. Same thing happens in Boston, NYC, Baltimore and Philly. In my travels to non east coast cities, I have noticed little differences. For one: People do not jaywalk when there is no trafficpresent; People blocking the right and left side of escalators and drivers allowing the whole world to cut in front of them just to be courteous.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
You should search through some of the old threads. One of them was about not being able to stand the DC area and another about people who hate living there. Some of the people who were not very fond of the area felt that many local residents were somewhat inconsiderate of others and standoffish, as you mention.
You're certainly not the first person to mention such behavior on these forums. Many threads have posts from people who talk about the difficulty they have had in forming relationships. I have seen multiple recommendations to join a kickball group.
Oh, I'll have to look at some past posts. I didn't want to put a label on DC people in general from just my experiences in just a short term. I haven't too much experiencing in other cities along the eastern seaboard so maybe similiaries may existing regarding behavior.

Kickball sounds fun, have to check it out.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:32 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,719,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanla View Post
For example, most people seem rather cliquish (sp?) and I find it to be tough breaking into social circles. I found it easy to become friends with a group of people back in CA especially if you had a common interest with them. I've joined a few social groups around the area but it seems that it takes some work to be able to connect with people.
For me, this hasn't been the case, but I also belong to a group of friends that is very open to meeting and including new people. So, that could be it. Also, I was one of the people pushing kickball. This is my first time playing, but having met some of the people there, they all seem very fun and friendly. I also have a friend in Alexandria who joined soccer, and another who does softball, so there's lots of groups, it just seems that kickball is the least athletic of the choices. I'm in DC Kickball, and I think one of the divisions is still open for Spring. Then there's also WAKA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanla View Post
Also, the lack of common courtesy with drivers is very apparent.
That's all over. Again, I didn't notice it much, but I grew up (and learned to drive) in Philly. I still say that the worst drivers are on I95 near Fredericksburg, VA (exit 130) and on the 495 bypass in Delaware.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:36 AM

228 posts, read 920,676 times
I come from California originally (20 years ago) and noticed some of the same things you mention. Of course now when I go to California I'm struck by... how slow people move, how people stand around waiting for the walk sign even when there's no traffic, etc. There is an East Coast premium on efficiency that I now find "normal".

Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm67 View Post
Of course now when I go to California I'm struck by... how slow people move, how people stand around waiting for the walk sign even when there's no traffic, etc. .
I find it odd how pedestrians over here like to play fr0gger while crossing the street with moving cars. Reminds of a scene from bowfinger. To each his own I guess.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,242,679 times
Yeah, most of the things you describe aren't DC things, they are Northeast/Mid-Atlantic things. People from this region tend to be reserved and distant and take time to warm up to other people. Most people will bend over backwards to the degree they can if you need help with directions though.

It's funny you mention how people cross streets, because I've already learned in the month or so I've been in downtown Silver Spring that if I'm going to cross Georgia Avenue (US 29) in certain locations, I need to at least get out to the center median so I have a chance to cross the entire street. (The street I think is 7 lanes wide in the spot I have in mind.) I'll stand in a 2 foot wide median and have cars pass within 3 feet of me if I need to cross the street.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
It's funny you mention how people cross streets, because I've already learned in the month or so I've been in downtown Silver Spring that if I'm going to cross Georgia Avenue (US 29) in certain locations, I need to at least get out to the center median so I have a chance to cross the entire street. (The street I think is 7 lanes wide in the spot I have in mind.) I'll stand in a 2 foot wide median and have cars pass within 3 feet of me if I need to cross the street.
I take Georgia Ave every morning to work and on several occasions find someone just standing on the middle double yellow lane (with cars cruising by in both directions) waiting for traffic to pass in order to cross. Seriously, it's not even a concrete median or a turning middle lane that they are standing on, it's about a 4" wide strip. That takes alot of guts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: