Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 06:49 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,241,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanla View Post
I take Georgia Ave every morning to work and on several occasions find someone just standing on the middle double yellow lane (with cars cruising by in both directions) waiting for traffic to pass in order to cross. Seriously, it's not even a concrete median or a turning middle lane that they are standing on, it's about a 4" wide strip. That takes alot of guts.
I'm not sure I'd be willing to do that, but standing on a 2 foot wide mountable, concrete median is something I'm willing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 PM

353 posts, read 1,261,982 times
Quote:
I take Georgia Ave every morning to work and on several occasions find someone just standing on the middle double yellow lane (with cars cruising by in both directions) waiting for traffic to pass in order to cross. Seriously, it's not even a concrete median or a turning middle lane that they are standing on, it's about a 4" wide strip. That takes alot of guts.
That's not having a lot of guts---that's lacking common sense! That's a death wish right there. I've seen people do that and it's crazy.

When it comes to crossing the streets here, I make sure there's no traffic before making a move. And don't even think about jaywalking in Georgetown - they'll run you over. NYC is very different. I hung out with a friend one time and she just walked into the streets even with traffic coming - and the cars actually stopped!

The furthest west I've been was Santa Fe, NM. Let's just say that during my week there I got to rest, relax and didn't feel on guard like I do on this side of the States. Not once did I worry about hoodlums hanging out on street corners, rude people in Georgetown pushing into me (as opposed to saying "excuse me"), or other forms of aggravation. It was a slower paced and more relaxing week indeed - just for me to come back and have someone walk into me at the airport when I was back in town ().

Old 04-14-2008, 03:27 PM

206 posts, read 627,977 times
This soo true....People in the south wait for the walk sign even if there is no traffic. I went to visit a friend in houston TX and was very much annoyed he had to wait everytime for the walk sign....I said to myself "what a country ass"...lol

Old 01-03-2009, 08:17 PM

4 posts, read 16,527 times
I live in the DC burbs. It's really not just DC, it's the east coast...mainly the northeast, especially around that boston and NY area. We're just so uptight and somewhat arrogant, that when I visited both California and Arizona, I was like...woah. People are far more laid back on the west coast, I would think. And they are far nicer too, but I feel like a lot of that niceness is somewhat superficial. Nevertheless, I did like California a lot, but don't get me wrong...while we appear to be so uptight and uber-ambitious on the outside, once you get to know us, we treat you like family. It's just that the pace of life here is much, much faster. Like I said, especially in the northeast. When you get down to the southeast, you're gonna find more laid-back people, but probably not as laid back as the west.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,246,901 times
Quote:
I moved out here from California (no, not Cali) several months ago and am trying to figure out the deal people out here. Most of the people I meet are very nice much like you'd find anywhere else. Since I've moved here, I've noticed a few things that I can't figure out if its a DC/MD thing or an east coast thing regarding behavior.

For example, most people seem rather cliquish (sp?) and I find it to be tough breaking into social circles. I found it easy to become friends with a group of people back in CA especially if you had a common interest with them. I've joined a few social groups around the area but it seems that it takes some work to be able to connect with people.

Also, the lack of common courtesy with drivers is very apparent. Noone is shy about using the horn. The speed limit is virtually non-existent (non enforced) in DC. Pedestrians don't seem to get any respect. I've noticed this whether it be DC burbs or DC city.

I've had several people attempt to cut in line in front of me and others in the past 6 months since I've been here. Most were people who decided to form their own line despite the fact that there was only one line, one was just so blatant it still makes me shaking my head.

Maybe it's me, but does anyone else notice these things? Can someone shed some light if this is a common thing among people in the DC area or the east coast area in general?

As with most californians, I'm a bit more laid back and don't really understand what everyone here is so uptight about. I thinks I will be moving back rather than adopting the self-centered attitude this area has.
I've been out here in the burbs on the VA side of things for six months myself and yeah this can be a frustrating place to move to. People here are more uptight and I'm not having the best time making friends. As far as people being cliquish that's a lot places though not just DC.

Now I would say that the police here are the strictest I've ever seen actually. In Georgia speeding is a lot easier to get away with than here. So we're in disagreement there.

However, I will say that I've never been honked so much in my life. I remember when I first got off the Beltway (worst traffic ever seen in my life) and was so lost trying to figure out which lane to be in over on Van Dorn in Alexandria, and so much honking. It's everywhere honk honk honk.

Just once I wanna get out of my car go up to they car and be like "WHO IS YOU HONKING AT?!" Yeah I get ghetto when I'm mad. Or be like Patsy and Edina on Absolutely Fabulous and just start beating on the b's car. Maybe you didn't see that it was funny. They were trying to park the car and lady honks and they get out of the car and start yelling at the lady. I wanna do that so many times but I don't want to get shot.

So yeah the honking is irritating.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:52 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,616 times
Wow! I wish people would have honked at me instead of just trying to slam me out the lane! I can't remember being honked at even once. Even when backing out of a parking space between two monster SUV's when I couldn't see--it was like they wanted to hit me.

When I first moved to MD, I remember the Gazette saying 3 pedestrians had been killed in MoCo that week. I felt terrible and sorry for those people until I realized all of them were jaywalking across streets with at least 6 lanes. What did they expect? I used to have to avoid people on Rockville Pike and Shady Grove Rd all the time. Granted, the police certainly don't enforce the speed limit at all, but I can't imagine these people thought they had a chance.

I also think it's an east coast attitude. I have only lived in OH, MD and now PA, but have been all over the country. People on the east coast have that busy, busy mentality and the traffic is so congested it turns driving into a game of chicken.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:29 AM

116 posts, read 446,647 times
D.C. is a miserable place to live and people are only here for one reason: money.

Therefore, the "self centered" attitude you lament should be expected. In fact, given that you most likely moved here for the money as well, it should be embraced.

Self interested yuppies with a ridiculous sense of entitlement is how I would describe the spirit of the D.C. area.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Someone didn't get their Infamil this morning!

Old 01-05-2009, 09:05 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,565,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateo View Post
D.C. is a miserable place to live
Well, there's a simple solution to that problem: find another place to live.

Or are you one of those unfortunate souls who complain of being "trapped" here against their will?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:30 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
Well, there's a simple solution to that problem: find another place to live.

Or are you one of those unfortunate souls who complain of being "trapped" here against their will?
Very true! We loved the Metro DC area until we had kids, then decided we needed a change. It took a long time to make it happen, but we moved and it was the best thing for us!

If you are unhappy with where you are, you do have the power to change things...but it may not be easy. Usually the things you want the most are what you have to work hardest for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: